Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 02:57 AM

2,198 posts, read 2,734,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
The combination of a greasy diet and a lot of refined sugars seems to be very problematic, targeting the refined sugars in a two leg problem doesn't make much sense though. People need to eat less fat and less refined sugars/carbohydrates.
The point is that saturated fat is vilified to a point that the weight of the evidence does not come close to supporting. The focus should be primarily on sugar and high glycemic load carbohydrates. That is the major villain, not saturated fat.

Quote:
My container of Oats says this on it "As part of a heart-healthy diet, the soluble fiber in Oatmeal can help reduce cholesterol". This claim is allowed by the FDA, I'm not sure why you think its a problem. It has nothing to do with fat content.
I was very clearly not talking about foods like oatmeal. Oatmeal is a quality food. Don't be ridiculous. Again, the American Heart Association heart-healthy check mark was recently on boxes of *Froot Loops* which are very unhealthy for both heart disease and other chronic diseases.

Quote:
You keep posting quotes form studies without linking to the actual study, as I mentioned before, there is a lot of junk science. You also keep making exaggerated claims, "sugar" is not highly correlated with heart disease and nearly every study that looks at sugar consumption is doing within the back drop of a western eating pattern (e.g., a lot of meat, dairy, etc).
I don't post the link because you can highlight the text and (if using Firefox) right click ----> "search google for (highlighted text" and find the studies in about .2 seconds. It's not rocket science. None of the studies I posted are "junk science," many of them are from the Harvard School of Public Health which is a world-class institute. I know it's hard to come to the realization of what the evidence actually says versus what the public thinks it says.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2013, 07:11 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneOnegin View Post
I don't post the link because you can highlight the text and (if using Firefox) right click ----> "search google for (highlighted text" and find the studies in about .2 seconds. It's not rocket science. None of the studies I posted are "junk science," many of them are from the Harvard School of Public Health which is a world-class institute. I know it's hard to come to the realization of what the evidence actually says versus what the public thinks it says.
In City-Data, you are required to cite your sources when you include direct quotes from those sources. It's part of the TOS, and it's part of copyright law. You also can only include a few lines of text from the source, and then offer the link (or the bibliography dada if you got it from a non-internet source) so that readers can find the rest of the information themselves. Them's the rules

Old 03-31-2013, 08:44 AM

515 posts, read 1,004,627 times
Quote:
So if you limit your intake of simple carbohydrates you'll magically lose weight? Interestingly...I've yet to met (in person) someone on a low carbohydrate diet that is lean. Of course there is a selection bias, people trying low carbohydrate diets are overweight. But I've yet to see, first hand, a case of someone getting lean on a low carbohydrate diet. On the other hand I know a number of people that are lean, and not a single overweight person, that eats a low fat (high carbohydrate) whole foods based diet.

But why would someone want to limit their simple carbohydrate intake? What is wrong with fruit? Oh and that evil science, evaluating hypothesis with research, etc instead of relying on personal conjecture.
Carb Back-Loading: Manual for Total Body Fat Control

As little carbs as possible

• View topic - Carb Cycling

everything about keto

Anyways, there is plenty of evidence to support low to no carb diets. Fat is not bad; we need fat. Fat doesn't make us fat. Eating too much makes us fat. It's just easier to overeat carbs than anything else which is why cutting out starchy carbs has helped plenty of people lose a lot of weight

Old 03-31-2013, 11:15 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,085,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmedes2 View Post
Anyways, there is plenty of evidence to support low to no carb diets. Fat is not bad; we need fat. Fat doesn't make us fat. Eating too much makes us fat. It's just easier to overeat carbs than anything else which is why cutting out starchy carbs has helped plenty of people lose a lot of weight
Plenty of evidence to support low carbohydrate diets in what respect? Short-term weight loss? Sure, it seems to okay at that. Long-term health, long-term weight management? Though more evidence is needed, so far the evidence is not supportive of low carbohydrate diets.

We need a relatively small amount of omega-6 and omega-3 fats, from this you can't conclude that "fat is not bad". And yes, over-eating makes you fat....and what is the most calorie dense food? Fat...due to the high caloric density of fats its very easy to over eat them. Also, the body is very reluctant to convert carbohydrate into fatty acids (and hence body fat) because the conversion is inefficient, you lose around 30% of the energy. On the other hand the conversion of dietary fat into body fat is very direct and efficient. As a result a diet rich in fats provides more fuel for weight gain than a diet rich in carbohydrates, body fat is the very last thing the body wants to with carbohydrates.

I'm not sure why you're posting pictures of random internet people, I have heard stories of people getting lean on low carbohydrate diets and staying lean I've just yet to see one in real life which leads me to be skeptical of internet stories. On the other hand literally everyone I know that consumes a low fat (high carbohydrate) diet centered around whole plants is lean....

Old 03-31-2013, 01:03 PM

515 posts, read 1,004,627 times
Quote:
Plenty of evidence to support low carbohydrate diets in what respect? Short-term weight loss? Sure, it seems to okay at that. Long-term health, long-term weight management? Though more evidence is needed, so far the evidence is not supportive of low carbohydrate diets.

We need a relatively small amount of omega-6 and omega-3 fats, from this you can't conclude that "fat is not bad". And yes, over-eating makes you fat....and what is the most calorie dense food? Fat...due to the high caloric density of fats its very easy to over eat them. Also, the body is very reluctant to convert carbohydrate into fatty acids (and hence body fat) because the conversion is inefficient, you lose around 30% of the energy. On the other hand the conversion of dietary fat into body fat is very direct and efficient. As a result a diet rich in fats provides more fuel for weight gain than a diet rich in carbohydrates, body fat is the very last thing the body wants to with carbohydrates.

I'm not sure why you're posting pictures of random internet people, I have heard stories of people getting lean on low carbohydrate diets and staying lean I've just yet to see one in real life which leads me to be skeptical of internet stories. On the other hand literally everyone I know that consumes a low fat (high carbohydrate) diet centered around whole plants is lean....
So fats are bad unless it's a small amount of omega 3 and 6? We need fats to function besides just those two. Remember that low fat fad in the 90's and how well that worked out for America? "Oh, low fat; it's fine for me!" Americans are fatter than ever now.

Fats are the most calorically dense type of food but what is the standard american diet full of? Starchy carbs and sugar. Pasta, bread, stuffing, pizza, fries, chips, soda, cookies, etc etc. Starchy carbs =/= vegetables, FYI. Vegetables shouldn't be counted as "carbs" for a multitude of reasons, least of which their low glycemic yield as well as their health inducing benefits rather than disease causing side effects that traditional, processed carbs induce.

Following a broadly termed diet consisting of plants and animals and including natural fats such as avocado, olive oil while eschewing the processed crap that entails the standard american diet (SAD) usually helps most people drop pounds in the long term. To help kickstart that, dropping all starchy carbs, not vegetable carbs, in the short term will yield quick results that help most people adjust to the new lifestyle. Most low carb diets suggest "carb-cycling" where you have a day or more a week where you do eat starchier, but natural, carbs such as potatoes or rice to refill glycogen stores.

Anyways, people don't overeat on fat nowadays. If you look at just about every meal eaten by the average american, it's a ton of starchy carbs with some protein, vegetables and fat added in as an after thought. Then we have these humongous insulin spikes and our blood sugar levels jump all over the place. But we're worried about how much fat we're consuming?

Finally, I can't make the distinction between vegetable carbs and starchy carbs clear enough. Vegetables shouldn't count as carbs like I stated above and even natural starchy carbs like tubers, legumes, rice aren't really that "bad." The biggest culprits, especially in America, really boil down to bread and pasta.

Old 04-01-2013, 06:35 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,803,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Where in my post did I say that I limit anything, or that I eat only healthy foods? Where in that post do I suggest that people are eating ONLY anything? I don't recall using that word. Upon checking back on the post, I find - I didn't use that word. The word "only" means "exclusive of all else." I don't use that word to describe healthy eating, because in my opinion, healthy eating doesn't exclude things. It includes things.

Where in that post did I even refer to myself at all? Nice try at spinning your agenda, but you neglected to pay attention to the content of the post you're trying to spin.
LOL, it's EVERY post. Doesn't matter if you are talking in the third person this time, we all know you are including yourself. No spinning needed.

All sassing aside, would you care to explain why you believe there to be an agenda behind any posts that talk about a successful way of living that differs from your own? No one on these forums attacks you for choosing to eat the way you do. If it works, and you are happy with your weight and fitness more power to ya. But the rest of us seem to be constantly defending what is obviously working for us. It seems like you are the one with agenda, to eradicate any diets that are different than your own. Notice that I'm not accusing you, just pointing out how your posts come across.

Old 04-01-2013, 11:56 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,049,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmedes2 View Post
Carb Back-Loading: Manual for Total Body Fat Control

As little carbs as possible

• View topic - Carb Cycling

everything about keto

When I look at the photos - the last one where the man has lost fat and has more muscle definiation (this is from limiting things like vegetables as well as fruit - I know, I have a son who is a weight lifter), the man looks quite unhealthy - really look at the first photo and then the last - his eyes look sick in that last photo - unhealthy. There is nothing admirable or healthy about what he is doing to his body.

Old 04-01-2013, 12:31 PM

4,659 posts, read 4,973,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
When I look at the photos - the last one where the man has lost fat and has more muscle definiation (this is from limiting things like vegetables as well as fruit - I know, I have a son who is a weight lifter), the man looks quite unhealthy - really look at the first photo and then the last - his eyes look sick in that last photo - unhealthy. There is nothing admirable or healthy about what he is doing to his body.
I'm not seeing what you're saying you're seeing -- I'll leave it at that.

Old 04-01-2013, 01:54 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,049,743 times
Yep serious weight lifters, especially professionals cut out fruits and vegetables out of their diet in order to get fine muscle definition. They also overload their systems with protein...which is difficult for the kidneys to process. My son couldn't pass a physical last year when he was trying to increase his life insurance....because of the excessive protein in his system.

Old 04-01-2013, 02:02 PM

4,659 posts, read 4,973,860 times
What part of a physical do you fail when you have excessive protein in the system?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss