Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 11:13 AM

752 posts, read 2,086,393 times

Advertisements

Yanno, back in the day, I can remember when all you had to do was to eat a nutritious diet and stay active. (I mean eat from the 4 food groups and all that stuff) Nowadays it is cut out this, cut out that, and I mean carbs, wheat, milk, gluten, the list goes on and on. I don't know what it's all about. I would think eating wheat bread would be good for you, drinking milk, and that peanuts are from one of the four major food groups. I don't know why people are getting so hung up on dieting in that they have to cut out what seems to be a lot of products from one of the groups (i.e. grains.) Examples abound: wheat belly, low carbs, Atkins, etc.

I would think if you lead an active lifestyle as long as you ate whole grains, friuts, veggies. meats and dairy you would be ok and maintain a healthy weight. Am I just living in the Dark Ages here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2013, 11:20 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoky_topaz View Post
Yanno, back in the day, I can remember when all you had to do was to eat a nutritious diet and stay active. (I mean eat from the 4 food groups and all that stuff) Nowadays it is cut out this, cut out that, and I mean carbs, wheat, milk, gluten, the list goes on and on. I don't know what it's all about. I would think eating wheat bread would be good for you, drinking milk, and that peanuts are from one of the four major food groups. I don't know why people are getting so hung up on dieting in that they have to cut out what seems to be a lot of products from one of the groups (i.e. grains.) Examples abound: wheat belly, low carbs, Atkins, etc.

I would think if you lead an active lifestyle as long as you ate whole grains, friuts, veggies. meats and dairy you would be ok and maintain a healthy weight. Am I just living in the Dark Ages here?
You're living in the dark ages. Back in the dark ages, people ate whatever they want and as much as they wanted and didn't exercise, and they never got fat. Today though, people exercise, join gyms cut out fats and carbs and spend billions on diet and fitness and they are all fat.

Old 03-27-2013, 11:24 AM

2,079 posts, read 3,208,490 times
nope, you are not in the dark ages. i am 24, i eat wheat bread, drink milk, eat meat, nuts, carbs, etc. some people go overboard with dieting crap. i mean, coconut oil? really? just eat less, exercise more. also, what is the deal with this anti-sodium craze? i know too much sodium causes high blood pressure, but doesn't the exercise counteract that?

to my knowledge, some people are allergic to gluten though

Old 03-27-2013, 11:32 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,183,468 times
Quote:
Am I just living in the Dark Ages here?
Yes.

Not everyone reacts the same way to the same foods; hence the variety of weight loss plans floating about. Low-fat works for some, low-carb for others.

And the beat goes on ...

Old 03-27-2013, 12:02 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,803,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
You're living in the dark ages. Back in the dark ages, people ate whatever they want and as much as they wanted and didn't exercise, and they never got fat. Today though, people exercise, join gyms cut out fats and carbs and spend billions on diet and fitness and they are all fat.
Show me someone who really did cut out carbs, and I'll show you a skinny person.

There are other factors that may contribute to what the OP is seeing as well.
Higher consumption of processed foods, increased sedentary lifestyles (regardless of your 45 mins on the treadmill), mis-information, etc.

Old 03-27-2013, 12:31 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,819,357 times
Quote:

Nope. That is all good stuff and the best way to become fit and healthy..and the most sustainable.

Old 03-27-2013, 02:31 PM

4,659 posts, read 4,973,860 times
Quote:

I don't even know what the "four major food groups" are, and I seem to be doing quite well without that knowledge. Grains are fine, but I'm healthier if I limit them. I don't bother much with fruit -- I don't think my ancestors in Ireland and Scotland were eating too many mangoes or bananas, so I think I'll be OK. Most veggies I like, but I like them cooked, my system seems not to tolerate raw too well. Meats are great as long as consumption is spaced several hours apart, same for dairy. Low-fat dairy I find generally useless though.

I feel the puzzlement and disappointment you feel when people completely cut out foods they don't need to, but I think it's part of a trend that is overall pretty positive -- people realizing they're taking in a lot of messages regarding health and nutrition from people who don't have their best interests in mind, and tinkering with their habits to find a routine that actually suits them, both science and popular opinion be damned.

Old 03-27-2013, 02:35 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
Show me someone who really did cut out carbs, and I'll show you a skinny person.

There are other factors that may contribute to what the OP is seeing as well.
Higher consumption of processed foods, increased sedentary lifestyles (regardless of your 45 mins on the treadmill), mis-information, etc.

Show me someone who completely cuts out carbs and compensates by eating more protein and fat and I'll show you someone who feels deprived and is manipulated by image and is destined for heart disease and kidney problems.

Old 03-27-2013, 02:54 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,049,743 times
Quote:
Not all of us are fat as you put it - but many are this is true. Saying that our ancesters didn't exercise - well that is nonsense! Many don't expend the calories that people once did. We are more sedentary. Much of our daily life is mechanized. A majority of the American diet consists of foods that are highly processed and genetically modified, with preservatives, hormones, too much fat and sugar and lots of chemical additivs we can't pronounce and have no idea how they are affecting our health or our physiques. We eat too much and too often. Most of us don't stand behind a horse and plow our fields for planting, milk cows, work a vegetable garden or cut our own wood. Most uof us don't walk into town, to school, to work, etc. Junk food is a modern term. Going out to eat on a regular basis is a modern phenomena. We live and eat completely different than our ancestors.

Last edited by Cattknap; 03-27-2013 at 03:13 PM..

Old 03-27-2013, 03:19 PM

4,659 posts, read 4,973,860 times
Quote:
Show me someone who completely cuts out carbs and compensates by eating more protein and fat and I'll show you someone who feels deprived and is manipulated by image and is destined for heart disease and kidney problems.
These people don't exist, so by judging them, you're not saying anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss