Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 12:14 PM

16 posts, read 16,634 times

Advertisements

This is well studied !!!!!!!!! SCIENTIFIC EVIDENCE ( replicated A1A quality experiments over and over ) DOES NOT AT ALL SUPPORT DIETING:

Dieting Does Not Work, UCLA Researchers Report | UCLA

http://www.nbdiabetes.org/news/michael-rosenbaum-md

Sandra Aamodt: Why dieting doesn't usually work | Talk Video | TED.com

SCIENCE SHOWS US THAT:

* DIETING DOES NOT WORK

* AND THAT BIOLOGY IS THE REASON FOR WEIGHT REGAIN.

YOU, Tofur, have shown me that YOU reject replicated scientific experimental evidence in favor of erroneous personal beliefs..... This is NOT what we do, in science!!!!!!!

STOP REASONING FROM BELIEF. IN SCIENCE, WE REASON FROM EVIDENCE. No matter how UNCOMFORTABLE it is for us ..................

Last edited by MikeSneedman; 06-04-2014 at 12:31 PM..

Old 06-04-2014, 12:18 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,375,370 times
Red is used by moderators...please chose another color.
Thank you.

Old 06-05-2014, 12:00 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,769,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Fasting means - not eating.

Intermittent fasting means - not eating for a length of time, then eating again, then not eating for a length of time.

There is nothing magical about either. However, both are a fast track to anorexia, for those people who are likely to become anorexic. Both are also a fast track to binge-eating and purging, for those people who are likely to become binge-eaters and/or bulimics.

There is nothing "healthy" about fasting on a regular basis, and there is nothing "healthy" about not eating for 16 consecutive hours per day. There is nothing healthy about it. Just in case you missed it the first time: There is nothing healthy about it.

It doesn't matter what you eat, when you finally do eat. It doesn't matter how much you eat, when you finally do eat. The fact of the matter is, you are depriving yourself of nutrition for 16 consecutive hours per day. It isn't healthy. Will it cause problems for you? Maybe, maybe not. But you have an increased risk of problems by fasting for 16 consecutive hours per day, than if you got up and ate breakfast within a couple of hours of rolling out of bed.

For me, I'm not interested in increasing my risk of medical problems, just to prove that fasting will help me lose weight. I'd rather go the proven healthy way - which is to eat better quality foods, using food to FUEL my body (which is why humans have to eat - it is FUEL), and get some daily exercise.
AnonChick - your 'authoritative' post is filled with hubris and speculation and you likely have little to no REAL experience with anorexia at all.
I have.
And IF will not, in and of itself, inevitably lead one, even if pre-disposed, down that morbid path.

You see, I have been there and back, and IF is NOTHING whatsoever like that wretched disorder.
If anything, I believe it could be a calming influence on those with, or pre-disposed to eating disorders, and thus be (counter-intuitively) beneficial for those so afflicted.
But without any scientific evidence it is foolish and irresponsible to make such a claim...that would be pure speculation.

Last edited by tjarado; 06-05-2014 at 12:09 AM..

Old 06-05-2014, 11:58 AM

2,183 posts, read 2,637,605 times
I wasn't misusing the laws of thermodynamics. I didn't even have them in mind when I wrote my post, I don't know where you got that idea. The word "energy" is interchangeable with food, since our body breaks it down and creates energy with it.

If energy in/energy out had little to do with obesity and fat loss, how the shi* do you explain people starving to death? Did holocaust victims die with love handles and big buddha bellies? No, they didn't. If you stop supplying your body with enough energy to maintain it's fat stores, you will slowly waste away, run out of stored energy reserves entirely, then die.

Long term caloric restriction. Get the picture? Obviously when used for weight loss, you stay in a caloric deficit(and not one as extreme as a holocaust victim, obviously) only until your at your target body fat, and then you eat to maintenance, meaning you eat enough to maintain your target bodyfat but not enough to gain bodyfat back.

Obviously there are other things at play(insulin, leptin, etc) but at the end of the day, if you cut calories you will lose weight. If you are legitimately overweight/obese, the best plan is to cut carbs out of the diet for a couple of weeks to reset their insulin sensitivity, then slowly reintroduce them from there.

Old 06-05-2014, 12:01 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
Its not new its the Arnold ehret fruit and veg low mucuse fast system turn of the century

Been there done that
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arnol...ransition_diet

Old 06-05-2014, 12:12 PM

2,183 posts, read 2,637,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSneedman View Post
This is well studied !!!!!!!!! SCIENTIFIC EVIDENCE ( replicated A1A quality experiments over and over ) DOES NOT AT ALL SUPPORT DIETING:

Dieting Does Not Work, UCLA Researchers Report | UCLA

Michael Rosenbaum, MD | Naomi Berrie Diabetes Center

Sandra Aamodt: Why dieting doesn't usually work | Talk Video | TED.com

SCIENCE SHOWS US THAT:

* DIETING DOES NOT WORK

* AND THAT BIOLOGY IS THE REASON FOR WEIGHT REGAIN.

YOU, Tofur, have shown me that YOU reject replicated scientific experimental evidence in favor of erroneous personal beliefs..... This is NOT what we do, in science!!!!!!!

STOP REASONING FROM BELIEF. IN SCIENCE, WE REASON FROM EVIDENCE. No matter how UNCOMFORTABLE it is for us ..................

Dude all that first "study" showed is that people are lazy, food addicted, depressed apathetic messes who can't control what they do and do not put into their mouth. It doesn't show that caloric restriction doesn't result in loss of body fat.

Only a portion of any population is capable and in control of their life. Restricting calories while still getting all your nutrients takes daily focus and commitment, and also requires a lack of any unhealthy mental patterns that involve food (stress eating, for example).

Most people can't pull it off, basically. It isn't easy.

Old 06-05-2014, 10:06 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
longest fast i dis was 11 days but did lots of 3 and 4 day fasts.

Old 06-06-2014, 01:27 AM

88 posts, read 192,218 times
Yes, I have tried fasting diet actually the fasting diet is gaining steady momentum as an effective weight lost method and health improvement technique.

Old 07-28-2014, 11:53 PM

88 posts, read 192,218 times
Effects of fasting on human body:
Human body makes use of its stored resources, fatty cells are made use of.
Release of toxin takes place, rather than the intake and production of the same.
Besides the elimination of unwanted stuffs, anabolic process of healing is improved as one of the effects of fasting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss