Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 08:20 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,446,309 times

Advertisements

Does anyone own a home treadmill and if so would you recommed it?

My mom lives in a very hot city and she is 71 but wants a home treadmill. I don't know about home treadmills just large gym treadmills. Any quality ones that anyone can recommend? I just don't want to buy her a crappy treadmill that will break down after a year or so.

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2013, 11:33 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
The two happiest days in a (treadmill or exercise bike or recumbent or stepper) owner's life are the day he buys it and the day he sells it.

Craigslist.

Old 04-04-2013, 12:47 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,048,201 times
I love our treadmill - I use it all the time - it is invaluable in the winter. I'd suggest putting it near a television/DVD player so she can watch while she walks....some light hand weights might be nice too. Get a treadmill that is simple to operate so it isn't intimadating to her.

Last edited by Cattknap; 04-04-2013 at 01:06 PM..

Old 04-04-2013, 12:52 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,791,113 times
love mine. It's a Weslo brand; not top of the line I'm sure but has a safety feature that stops it. Works for me. I too have mine facing the tv but mostly use my Ipod when on it. Also I use an Ab Glider and a stationary bike. Fun stuff!!

Old 04-04-2013, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
love mine. It's a Weslo brand; not top of the line I'm sure but has a safety feature that stops it. Works for me. I too have mine facing the tv but mostly use my Ipod when on it. Also I use an Ab Glider and a stationary bike. Fun stuff!!
My husband reads his kindle while on the treadmill - I've tried this and nearly fallen off but I crank up the speed and the incline more than he does...have you ever read while treadmilling?

I am 62 with bad knees so I can't run but I can walk fast - I do the 3.4 setting which is as fast as I can walk without having to run...I do 30 minutes and then a set of weights and then break up the rest of the treadmill time with 2 more sets of weights - I crank up the elevation to the highest setting - 10 and do 2 1/2 miles sometimes a little more...it is so boring otherwise I'd do more time. I went for a walk the other day up and down some very steep hills and walking on steep hills is definitely more difficult but I zipped up and down with no problem...for once I'm starting the spring in good shape having exercised regularly through the miserably cold winter.

Old 04-04-2013, 01:33 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,938,051 times
As is the case with most things, you do get what you pay for with treadmills. If you go for an "ultra cheapie," even though she is older and will just be walking on it, you run the risk of breakdown and difficulty with repairs.

If I were purchasing a treadmill right now, I would consult with a trusted website such as Consumer Reports or Runner's World to get recommendations. I would also try to purchase the treadmill locally, either new or used, from a fitness store that would warrant the purchase and, ideally, provide repairs in the event of breakdown. It would also help if she could go and try out different machines and see what feels comfortable to her, with the varying tread widths and lengths available, folding versus nonfolding, ease of use of the display, etc.

Old 04-04-2013, 02:53 PM

We bought an extended warranty and it was needed....we bought our treadmill from Dick's Sporting Goods.

Old 04-04-2013, 10:41 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_s View Post
As is the case with most things, you do get what you pay for with treadmills. If you go for an "ultra cheapie," even though she is older and will just be walking on it, you run the risk of breakdown and difficulty with repairs.

If I were purchasing a treadmill right now, I would consult with a trusted website such as Consumer Reports or Runner's World to get recommendations. I would also try to purchase the treadmill locally, either new or used, from a fitness store that would warrant the purchase and, ideally, provide repairs in the event of breakdown. It would also help if she could go and try out different machines and see what feels comfortable to her, with the varying tread widths and lengths available, folding versus nonfolding, ease of use of the display, etc.
Thank you...I am also thinking along your lines. My partner loves to check things out on Consumer Reports. I agree that you get what you pay for with exercise equipment. I am looking the Precor and Life Fitness treadmills and they go from $1600 to $3000. I don't mind spending that kind of money on a quality treadmill.

Old 04-04-2013, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
I love our treadmill - I use it all the time - it is invaluable in the winter. I'd suggest putting it near a television/DVD player so she can watch while she walks....some light hand weights might be nice too. Get a treadmill that is simple to operate so it isn't intimadating to her.
What brand of treadmill do you have?

Old 04-05-2013, 05:59 AM

20,935 posts, read 28,414,875 times
I have a pro-fprm that fold up from sears. We got it like 6 years ago. I did have to replace the walking belt 2 months ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss