Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 05:55 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
Where is the logic in this statement??
There's no logic in the premise of this thread at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2013, 06:36 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
There's no logic in the premise of this thread at all.
Sure there is. It's a reasonable question. Do fat people like fatty stuff more than thin people? [If so, might that explain why they are fat?]

I guess we have to know what "like" means but scientists have ways of measuring things like "like".

Old 04-06-2013, 07:11 PM

4,652 posts, read 4,968,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
But could a greater craving for the creamy taste/texture in comparison to other textures be added to the list, or do you think it is independent of weight? It's probably not as much of a factor as caloric intake or exercise, but do you think it is a factor?
No, I don't think it's a factor.

Old 04-06-2013, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
Where is the logic in this statement??
It's a pertinent counterexample to the (rather dumb) hypothesis in the original post.

Old 04-06-2013, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
Thank you for the posts.

Just a word of advice to those who are dieting, thin feels better than good tastes. I have noticed that stopping half way through your meal is a great way of controlling portions. Your never as hungry after you stop eating.

But I have another question, Do you think it is the flavor of fatty foods that people crave more or do you think it's the texture? Also, do all humans crave to this flavor/texture equally?
This is bad advice. I grew up with a fat kid's appetite, I used to be able to just eat constantly all day. Self-control wasn't an option. Now, by choosing the right foods at the right times of day, I have a normal appetite. My self-control didn't improve at all, it's just that I finally know the feeling of not being hungry. I was never very fat (because of constant physical activity), but lots of fat people have this problem.

To your new question, no, people do not all crave fat equally. I'm sure Japanese people on average don't crave fat as much as Swedes or Scots, because they have historically eaten a much lower-fat diet. Is this craving associated with obesity, no, of course not. Truly obese people with that "fat-kid appetite" I mentioned will eat ANYTHING if they're hungry. They'll eat Malt-O-Meal out of the box without cooking it. Has nothing to do with fat content.

Old 04-06-2013, 10:22 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,473,283 times
When I am on a diet I dont like creamy foods but when I am not on a diet I love it

Old 04-06-2013, 10:35 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,473,283 times
Another question of similar logic would be,
Do people who speed on the freeway have a death wish?

Old 04-06-2013, 10:36 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,078,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
I'd love to hear about any one of the numerous societies where the entire society subsists on very high carbohydrate diets, with absolutely zero percent of the population being overweight.
There are genetic conditions that result in obesity, so you're never going to find "absolutely zero percent", but there are many societies eating high carbohydrate diets were obesity is extremely rare. The most extreme example (in that they have perhaps one of the highest recorded carbohydrate intakes) are traditional Okinawans.

The point is, if carbohydrates really promoted weight gain you'd expect cultures that ate the most carbohydrates to be the most overweight....but you find the opposite. The cultures with the highest carbohydrate (and hence lowest fat) diets have the lowest rates of obesity.

Old 04-06-2013, 10:45 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,078,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
To your new question, no, people do not all crave fat equally. I'm sure Japanese people on average don't crave fat as much as Swedes or Scots, because they have historically eaten a much lower-fat diet.
Swedes and Scots, like other Europeans, historically had high carbohydrate diets. It is only recently that the masses in Europe gained access to high fat foods, in fact, in the medieval period the peasantry was largely forbidden to eat most meats though they did consume some dairy (though not so much milk) and eggs...so they were semi-vegetarian. It was believed that the peasants were "rough" so they were intended to eat "coarse" foods like legumes, whole grains, vegetables, etc....where as the monks and aristocrats were "refined" and as a result intended to eat meats and fatty/sugary refined foods.

Old 04-06-2013, 11:42 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,415,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Swedes and Scots, like other Europeans, historically had high carbohydrate diets. It is only recently that the masses in Europe gained access to high fat foods, in fact, in the medieval period the peasantry was largely forbidden to eat most meats though they did consume some dairy (though not so much milk) and eggs...so they were semi-vegetarian. It was believed that the peasants were "rough" so they were intended to eat "coarse" foods like legumes, whole grains, vegetables, etc....where as the monks and aristocrats were "refined" and as a result intended to eat meats and fatty/sugary refined foods.
Where are you pulling this info from? Please cite your source(s).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss