U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 11:49 AM

4,985 posts, read 2,894,929 times
Default Help for Gaining Weight

Hi everyone, I am a 5'2" middle aged woman who cannot seem to gain weight. I am 90 lbs. and want to gain at least 10 lbs by June. My dh is getting an exercise machine so that I can lift weights and build muscle. I am just not sure what foods I should be eating. I have low blood sugar & I eat small meals a few times a day, but just need to know what foods/supplements I should be taking to gain.

Thank you for any advice. kelsie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2013, 01:15 PM

11,294 posts, read 15,973,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsie View Post
Hi everyone, I am a 5'2" middle aged woman who cannot seem to gain weight. I am 90 lbs. and want to gain at least 10 lbs by June. My dh is getting an exercise machine so that I can lift weights and build muscle. I am just not sure what foods I should be eating. I have low blood sugar & I eat small meals a few times a day, but just need to know what foods/supplements I should be taking to gain.

Thank you for any advice. kelsie
It kind of depends on what you're eating now, and how the rest of your health is, and what kind of other exercise you're doing on a regular basis (such as running, skiining, swimming, etc).

You might try myfitnesspal (it's not just for weightloss) and plug in a week's worth of a food diary, and see what kinds of recommendations it calculates for you. Generally you'd want to maintain protein and "good" fats, keep sugars and starches down but NOT eliminated (especially if you have low blood sugar), and -do- enjoy other carbs in moderation.

Fresh fruits, if your nutritionist feels your blood sugar can handle it, will be more nutritionally dense than fruit juices, or overly processed sweets. Drink enough water - basically the same thing that people wanting to *lose* weight should be doing.

If you're already doing all this, and it's not helping, get your thyroid checked to make sure it's in good shape. If it isn't, there are things you can do to procede from there.

Old 04-16-2013, 09:28 AM

3,870 posts, read 2,608,027 times
I recommend a 1/2 box of Little Debbie nutty bars for dessert during weeknights, followed by a late night snack of two open face sandwhiches of mayo and cream cheese on white bread, topped with a grate of pepper. Yum!

Dont forge to have one or two bottles of beer with dinner, too.

Old 04-16-2013, 09:57 AM

4,985 posts, read 2,894,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
It kind of depends on what you're eating now, and how the rest of your health is, and what kind of other exercise you're doing on a regular basis (such as running, skiining, swimming, etc).Thank you, this is the part I really have to start doing, I have never exercised on a regular basis. My husband is getting a Flex Machine this week & I will be using this to get started.

You might try myfitnesspal (it's not just for weightloss) and plug in a week's worth of a food diary, and see what kinds of recommendations it calculates for you. Generally you'd want to maintain protein and "good" fats, keep sugars and starches down but NOT eliminated (especially if you have low blood sugar), and -do- enjoy other carbs in moderation.I will look into this today, thank you.

Fresh fruits, if your nutritionist feels your blood sugar can handle it, will be more nutritionally dense than fruit juices, or overly processed sweets. Drink enough water - basically the same thing that people wanting to *lose* weight should be doing.I see what I am doing wrong, I start the day with 1 c of decaf coffee, then on to V-8, about 4-6 oz. glasses of fresh apple cider, 2-6oz Mango juice, then on to tea and bottled water, I am not getting enough fresh fruits.

If you're already doing all this, and it's not helping, get your thyroid checked to make sure it's in good shape. If it isn't, there are things you can do to procede from there.
yes, got it checked out and everything is fine. I know that I have to build muscle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
I recommend a 1/2 box of Little Debbie nutty bars for dessert during weeknights, followed by a late night snack of two open face sandwhiches of mayo and cream cheese on white bread, topped with a grate of pepper. Yum!Thank you, but I am allergic to peanuts. I am a mess. lol

Dont forge to have one or two bottles of beer with dinner, too.

Thank you ladies, I will keep you posted. kelsie

Old 04-16-2013, 05:25 PM

11,294 posts, read 15,973,486 times
Start your day with *food.* V-8 is insane with sodium. All those juices are insane with sugar. Just because the ingredients say "no added sugar" doesn't mean it isn't loaded with sugar. It just means that no *extra* sugar was added. Fruit juice is naturally very high in sugar content. And - a "single serving" of fruit juice is only 4 ounces. So basically, you're having the equivalent of 6 apples and 3 mangos in a single day.

There's approximately 12 grams of sugar in 1 medium apple (which is approximately 4 ounces of apple juice). So 12 grams x 6 apples = 72 grams of sugar, just in the apple juice. If your mango juice is a V8 Fusion mango-peach, then you're sucking down another 36 grams of sugar in those 2 6-ounce glasses of that.

So you're basically drinking over 100 grams of sugar, just in fruit juices alone. Never mind the regular V-8 you're drinking, plus whatever sugar you're adding to your coffee/tea.

No wonder your blood sugar levels are unhealthy. Your body is adjusting itself to massive overdose of sugar consumption.

What I'd recommend - is you wean yourself off all that stuff. Ditch 1 glass of apple juice daily, this week. Next week, ditch a second glass per day, plus get rid of one glass of mango juice, every day.

By the week after next, you'll be down to just 3 glasses of apple juice, and 1 glass of mango juice, plus water, tea, coffee, and V8. Eliminate the V8 that week, and another glass of apple juice, leaving you with 2 glasses of apple juice, 1 glass mango juice, coffee, tea, and water, every day.

By mid-May, you should be down to just one glass of mango juice, 1 cup of coffee, 1 cup of tea, and water.

You should *replace* all of that with FOOD. Add brocolli, steamed with maybe a little bit of home-made cheese sauce (make a roux, add shredded gouda and cheddar, add a little extra milk so it's runny and not "mac & cheese" thick, and blend it into the bowl of brocolli). Eat plenty of RAW foods - lots of green leafy veggies, carrots, tomatoes, peas, add chickpeas and hummus...

Have oatmeal in the morning, or an egg or two. Eat breakfast EVERY DAY. If you're drinking it, it's not breakfast.

When you make your chicken, add some mushrooms and shallots sauteed in butter and a splash of white wine. Go to town on that stuff. Add a potato to the plate - a roasted or baked potato, again with a little butter.

You should still eat fruit, but not so much of it and not such sugary fruits. Think of a summer berry cup with strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, and chunks of watermelon. Awesome breakfast with a pudding cup of cottage cheese on the side, or just a mid-day snack.

If you're not allergic to -other- nuts besides peanuts, eat the other nuts. At least one palmful every day.

Old 04-17-2013, 09:10 AM

374 posts, read 271,147 times
Best thing you can do for yourself is start a food journal. People trying to gain weight think they're eating a lot of food but generally overestimate just how much they're eating. It's typically the reverse of people trying to lose weight who underestimate.

Old 04-18-2013, 06:09 AM

38 posts, read 24,757 times
I presume you already visited your Dr. and had a full physical exam, blood draw and all that Jazz. Just to rule out any medical issues. Has this been a problem for other relatives? perhaps you are genetically disposed to being thin.
Does your work require a lot of physical exercise?

Old 04-21-2013, 03:03 PM

2,409 posts, read 1,778,716 times
sudden unexplained weight loss can suggest problems with blood sugar control. Otherwise, you probably just have good genes.

Which of The 3 Body Types Are You? | Muscle & Strength

Have some pecan pie with chocolate chips in it for me.

Old 04-21-2013, 04:11 PM

9,215 posts, read 12,505,196 times
pretty much a diet of Steak, Boneless skinless chicken breast, a Gallon of Milk, cottage cheese, a few whole cans of flaked tuna in water and protein shakes that are high quality and do that everyday lift heavy and you will put on some muscle mass and then cut all carbs and sugars be it artificial or natural out your diet for just plain old fashion water and with a few protein shakes thrown in with lots of proper rest and assuming you already take all the proper vitamins and are healthy and somewhat in shape.

A breakfast should be a nice thick 8-10 once steak large protein shake and a half a pint of cottage cheese and a can of light flaked tuna for a mid morning snack lunch is a low car subway chicken sandwich with double the boneless the chicken on the a can of tuna or the other half of the cottage cheese and wash it down with a massive protein shake.

Old 04-22-2013, 07:25 AM

88 posts, read 56,166 times
Some of the great advice given in this forum, this help me too.. ,, thnx a lot
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss