U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 01:33 AM
Status: "Studying my silver linings playbook" (set 16 days ago)

3,607 posts, read 2,959,309 times
Default How do you accelerate the tightening of loose skin after weight loss?

My skin is a little loose after having dumped a bunch of weight, and according to my research, it will eventually tighten back up, but in the meantime, I want to accelerate the process. Does using moisturizing creams with vitamin E and such really help significantly speed up the tightening process?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2013, 07:24 AM

5,239 posts, read 11,313,735 times
It will eventually tighten up some. Exercise and weights are key...I have for the last 3 months had to work on this also. Lunges for the back of the upper legs/butt, several different types of weight exercises for the arms...especially the back of the arms.

Also, I drink lots of water - my weightlifter son told me this would help.

My arms are now presentable for the viewing public....lunges are painful for me because I have bad knees - climbing stairs seems to be easier - I'm hoping that might help. My body is returning to normal and I do see change so hang in there.

Old 04-25-2013, 01:19 PM

5,148 posts, read 5,270,822 times
Start within. Healthy skin comes from a healthy diet. Compression gear can help support the skin as it does tighten. They do make t-shirts for guys that do that. It looks just like an undershirt. A good moisturizer makes skin look smoother but it won't help if you have a crappy diet. Same with the tshirt. Strength training and having low body fat also can help. Both which tie into the proper diet rule as well.

Old 04-25-2013, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
Start within. Healthy skin comes from a healthy diet. Compression gear can help support the skin as it does tighten. They do make t-shirts for guys that do that. It looks just like an undershirt. A good moisturizer makes skin look smoother but it won't help if you have a crappy diet. Same with the tshirt. Strength training and having low body fat also can help. Both which tie into the proper diet rule as well.
I was considering getting a waist trimmer, such as this:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...1L._SX300_.jpg

Good idea?

Old 04-25-2013, 03:51 PM

467 posts, read 283,492 times
Try yoga, Pilates or the Tracy Anderson method.

Old 04-25-2013, 03:57 PM

5,148 posts, read 5,270,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
I was considering getting a waist trimmer, such as this:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...1L._SX300_.jpg

Good idea?
Those can work too but some have the tendency to roll when sitting. The compression Tshirts are more wearable and very incognito. I would get both and see what suits your body's movements and personal preferences. You want to have at least 3 so you can rotate and wash them. Most stretchy stuff needs replaced in 6 months. Doing some fitness that adds bulk to your back and upper body can also help fill out the skin and lift it. Give it at least two years. Good luck!

Old 04-25-2013, 05:36 PM

At least two years?! You mean at most, right?

Old 04-25-2013, 06:37 PM

11,294 posts, read 15,973,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
At least two years?! You mean at most, right?
Depends on how much skin there is, and how badly it's stretched out. Ask yourself this: how long did it take for your skin to stretch out to the widest proportion it was, the day before you set out to lose all the weight?

Old 04-26-2013, 08:56 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,138,119 times
Age and how much weight you lost are the real questions. If you are under 35 and did not lose more than say 50lbs or so your skin should bounce back. Drink lots of water, wear sun screen, eat healthy and keep exercising. If you are older and/or lost a lot of weight your skin may never go back and then surgery would be your only real option.

Old 04-26-2013, 09:10 AM

5,463 posts, read 2,808,512 times
Try some facial exercises too... and smile a lot...
Trick #1 Face Exercise For Lifting And Toning Sagging Face Skin And Hanging, Baggy Jowls - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss