Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 08:39 AM

141 posts, read 426,363 times

Advertisements

Stepka I have the same problems when I eat sugar. If I eat one high carb thing during the day my blood sugar goes nuts. I am not diabetic but I will end up eating more high carb things. When I follow a low carb diet my cravings are gone and I am able to make healthier choices much easier. I am one of those people that can't eat just one cookie, chip etc. I am an emotional eater and it is really hard to break that cycle.

I also have a sluggish thyroid and rheumatoid arthritis so my energy levels are in tank. I am working with my doctor on this but it is a long process. So when simple housework wipes me out, it is really hard to get some exercise . Hormones can cause a lot of havoc with your metabolism if they are out of whack. I have noticed that after I turned 40 it became harder and harder to lose weight. I just try to take it one day at a time. You are not alone.

Stephanie

Last edited by Stephkp; 05-08-2013 at 08:39 AM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2013, 08:46 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,707,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephkp View Post
Stepka I have the same problems when I eat sugar. If I eat one high carb thing during the day my blood sugar goes nuts. I am not diabetic but I will end up eating more high carb things. When I follow a low carb diet my cravings are gone and I am able to make healthier choices much easier. I am one of those people that can't eat just one cookie, chip etc. I am an emotional eater and it is really hard to break that cycle.

I also have a sluggish thyroid and rheumatoid arthritis so my energy levels are in tank. I am working with my doctor on this but it is a long process. So when simple housework wipes me out, it is really hard to get some exercise . Hormones can cause a lot of havoc with your metabolism if they are out of whack. I have noticed that after I turned 40 it became harder and harder to lose weight. I just try to take it one day at a time. You are not alone.

Stephanie
I find this to be true as well. In fact, one of my habits is that I try to never eat sugar (except in my coffee) before noon. If I have a donut, or a muffin for breakfast, forget it. I'll be hungry all day. A cookie with lunch will make me crash by 2 p.m. I've felt better and had more energy in these last several weeks because I haven't had any dessert foods at all. It's a noticeable difference.

Old 05-08-2013, 08:52 AM

5,333 posts, read 8,544,248 times
I posted this video here once before, but I'm reposting as the OP might find it interesting -

Why Thin People Aren't Fat -(video) part 1 of 7

Old 05-08-2013, 09:47 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,256,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I find this to be true as well. In fact, one of my habits is that I try to never eat sugar (except in my coffee) before noon. If I have a donut, or a muffin for breakfast, forget it. I'll be hungry all day. A cookie with lunch will make me crash by 2 p.m. I've felt better and had more energy in these last several weeks because I haven't had any dessert foods at all. It's a noticeable difference.

Me too. I really am not hungry in the morning and while people say never to skip breakfast, I see no reason to eat before my body is telling me it wants food. My husband is the same way; he doesn't want to eat for a couple of hours after getting up.

And if I do eat breakfast and eat anything with carbs, first of all I am falling asleep at my desk once my blood sugar spkes and then falls, and for another, I tend to keep eating carbs all day because I am in a cycle of blood sugar rising and falling, eating more because my body perceives the drop in blood sugar and tells me I need more food to raise my blood sugar again, and it's a vicious cycle. Unless I am really hungry, I will postpone eating until I am finished with work. It might not work for some, but it works for me. It also helps with carb cravings if you severely limt your carbs or limit them to one meal a day.

Old 05-08-2013, 06:28 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,797,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
I posted this video here once before, but I'm reposting as the OP might find it interesting -

Why Thin People Aren't Fat -(video) part 1 of 7
Oh thank you for reposting that. I was thinking of it when I made the OP. Yes, one thing I took away from it (w/o having watched it again yet) is that thin people are really miserable when they eat too much. They prefer being hungry to being overstuffed and there was a lot of complaining about the quantity of food as they sat around the dinner table. I'm trying to imagine a similar scenario with a group of overweight people at the same feast. "Oh I'm so stuffed but I'm dying to have just one more piece of that amazing coconut cake! Okay, they said we have to. Org!"

And I'm with you fellers on that thing about no sugar before noon. I try to hold off as long as possible and now my worst weakness is that I get bored when I'm driving long distances and I date a man who lives 2-1/2 hours away so when I drive over there and back I'm inclined to stop and get something. I'm going to have to entertain myself in some other way, like listening to books on CD.

Also, I never eat breakfast anymore. I know people say you should but I'm just not hungry at that time and I've found that if I wait I'm more alert thru the morning. I keep a tin of nuts by my desk so I can have a little something before lunch and nuts are lower in carbs.

Last edited by stepka; 05-08-2013 at 06:41 PM..

Old 05-08-2013, 09:34 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,549,639 times
I watched the video, and then went on to watch parts 2 through 7 (except for part 5, which was missing). It's interesting to note that our bodies apparently have their own ideas about what we should weigh. The study in which obese people lost 10% of their body weight, and then were given enough calories to sustain that weight, and yet they still felt as if they were starving, was fascinating. Their bodies perceived that their obese weight was ideal. This really puts a whole new spin on the concept of dieting and willpower, etc.

I still believe that people can do whatever they want to do, that they can fight nature and get to (and maintain!) a healthy weight. it's just much more difficult for some people than others.

Old 05-09-2013, 07:22 AM

4,866 posts, read 5,678,035 times
I don't think it's just as simple as a lower calorie intake + exercise = weight loss.
I can eat a 1000 calorie 12 oz steak and burn 1100 calories and lose weight but eat the same amount of calories in different foods and burn the same amount of calories and not lose anything.

The trick is not always lower calorie intake but lower what's in said foods. Lower sodium, carbs etc.

I have tried the low fat, lower calorie approach in the past and it did not work for me. So I watch my carbs and sodium now. I've dropped 52 pounds this year so far. And my calorie intake is not all that low. And I don't work out much 45 mins x 4 times a week.

Old 05-09-2013, 08:48 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,175,680 times
Quote:
But they encourage him, "No, go ahead, have a cookie if you want one," because they don't realize that for some people one cookie invariably leads to a box of cookies
Yeah, that sounds real familiar. I seem to be in that mode during the evenings.

I have a bad habit of eating while reading...and I know this is all in my head...that I have to snack while im reading...

@@@

How about that 9 PM rule? Dont eat anything (not even snax) after 9 PM?

Old 05-09-2013, 04:02 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
Yeah, that sounds real familiar. I seem to be in that mode during the evenings.

I have a bad habit of eating while reading...and I know this is all in my head...that I have to snack while im reading...

@@@

How about that 9 PM rule? Dont eat anything (not even snax) after 9 PM?
I normally don't eat afer 6pm; we usually eat dinner shortly after 5. Once in awhile we'll have an evening snack (usually a cinnamon bun, or some cheese) but usually there's no food from 6pm til breakfast the next morning.

Old 05-09-2013, 05:14 PM

29,745 posts, read 34,383,370 times
My cutoff is 8pm. I usually don't get home from work until 6 and generally work out in the evenings, so 8 works for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss