Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 07:07 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,161,108 times

Advertisements

I've been reading up on this guy and am changing my mind.

He sued the NHS, basically claiming they were responsible for him getting so fat.

Former world's fattest man Paul Mason to sue NHS for his weight gain | Mail Online

He ate ten times the amount a normal-sized male would eat for years, while on unemployment. He was able to afford this obscene amount of food per day, but now does not want to contribute in any way towards his own health. He blames the govertnment for letting him get this fat.

I am losing sympathy here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2013, 07:19 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,779,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
I've been reading up on this guy and am changing my mind.

He sued the NHS, basically claiming they were responsible for him getting so fat.

Former world's fattest man Paul Mason to sue NHS for his weight gain | Mail Online

He ate ten times the amount a normal-sized male would eat for years, while on unemployment. He was able to afford this obscene amount of food per day, but now does not want to contribute in any way towards his own health. He blames the govertnment for letting him get this fat.

I am losing sympathy here.
That was the vibe I was getting when I read the article.

Old 05-11-2013, 07:23 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,057,378 times
Pardon my ignorance, please, how much is a stone versus a pound?

Old 05-11-2013, 07:32 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,057,378 times
14 pounds equals a stone.

As for this man, it's an illness for sure. However, I don't know if the gov't is responsible for getting rid of the excess skin.

We know he would have died going the way he was, the surgery was essential, I can see that.

I don't see how people get that big, without it being an illness.

Old 05-11-2013, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerPower00 View Post
14 pounds equals a stone.

As for this man, it's an illness for sure. However, I don't know if the gov't is responsible for getting rid of the excess skin.

We know he would have died going the way he was, the surgery was essential, I can see that.

I don't see how people get that big, without it being an illness.
Agreed, I do get that eating obsessively to become this obese is an addiction and not a moral failing.

The NHS paid for him to treat the "illness" and halt the obesity and related health issues. That is fine and right.

But this guy now hiring PR people to go to the media and blame the government for letting him get that fat, and also hold the taxpayers liable for fixing cosmetic issues....I really don't think so. He could afford to eat ten times a normal ration of food per day for many years on the taxpayer dime...I say he now puts his food money towards a savings account for the cosmetic surgery.

This would be like me being a meth addict for 20 years while being on welfare...then the government paying for me to be freed of the addiction. Then demanding that taxpayers also pay to fix my teeth and eradicate the nasty tattoos I got while being an addict. Not happening.

Old 05-11-2013, 09:28 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,242,978 times
Those who are saying this is 'cosmetic surgery' really need to think again.

Skin folds like that are very dangerous as they increase the risk of skin irritation, cracking, infection, which in turn can lead to death, being eaten alive by MRSA.

There is no point operating for weight loss if the side effects are so drastic and disabling that they may kill him anyway.

At least if he was left fat he'd be able to enjoy life...now he can't even eat and can still barely move.

Skin reduction is essential and should be a part of the procedure at his weight.

Old 05-11-2013, 11:38 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,779,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post

Skin folds like that are very dangerous as they increase the risk of skin irritation, cracking, infection, which in turn can lead to death, being eaten alive by MRSA.

There is no point operating for weight loss if the side effects are so drastic and disabling that they may kill him anyway.

At least if he was left fat he'd be able to enjoy life...now he can't even eat and can still barely move.

Skin reduction is essential and should be a part of the procedure at his weight.
You can't dispute the fact that surgery to remove the extra skin is needed. The doctors agree. The critera is a maintenance of weight for two years before performing the surgery. Pardon the expression, it is clear cut what the rules are.

Old 05-12-2013, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post

He had those "dangerous" skin folds in abundance for years when he was grotesquely obese. The "danger" is even less now that he is no longer a lake of fat.

And anyway, it is not a danger as long as he or a caretaker checks every day to keep the fatty folds of skin dry and free of mold and mushrooms growing in his fat flaps. And that is apparently being done. So yes, it is utterly cosmetic.

And anyway the NHS will take care of that in two years as long as he maintains the weight loss. That is fairly standard procedure for anyone who has undergone lap band or weight loss surgery; it is not like he is being discriminated against.

Old 05-12-2013, 04:52 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
He had those "dangerous" skin folds in abundance for years when he was grotesquely obese. The "danger" is even less now that he is no longer a lake of fat.

And anyway, it is not a danger as long as he or a caretaker checks every day to keep the fatty folds of skin dry and free of mold and mushrooms growing in his fat flaps. And that is apparently being done. So yes, it is utterly cosmetic.

And anyway the NHS will take care of that in two years as long as he maintains the weight loss. That is fairly standard procedure for anyone who has undergone lap band or weight loss surgery; it is not like he is being discriminated against.
He had this surgery in 2010. That was well over two years ago. In addition, he had lost 70 pounds _before_ surgery. So he's already been living with most of this sag, for over three years.

Here's a NYTimes article from this past February:
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/06/wo...o-be.html?_r=0

Old 05-12-2013, 05:07 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,953,306 times
Paul admits he still wants to lose more weight, so it would make sense to wait a bit before undergoing the surgery to remove the loose skin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss