Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2013, 03:12 AM

10,746 posts, read 25,941,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post

You don't see anything because you're watching one purchase divorced from any context about the two girls life.

Ok, multiply that scene by 1000, does that make you feel better? Scenes like this carry out every minute of every day. Fat people do make wrong food choices, that's why they're fat. This girl was just one example of many.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2013, 05:39 PM

3,719 posts, read 5,681,721 times
Do any of you think that overweight/obese women conform to societal pressures to look sexy despite what their physique looks like?

Old 07-12-2013, 05:21 PM

655 posts, read 1,330,549 times
We were at the mall today in Albuquerque NM, (granted not known as an very healthy state anyway). Mall itself and the stores were not busy. But the food court? It was packed. People were looking for tables to sit at. Nearly everything there is fried or junk of some type, and the plates of food are massive. I could honestly say that about 70% of the people there were mid to grossly overweight. It was honestly quite a pathetic sight.

Old 07-13-2013, 10:59 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,033,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
There is a huge difference eating healthy and reducing obesity. There is more than enough info on food label for someone to know they are eating more calories than necessary.
I don't think there is any difference, obesity is caused by unhealthful diets and it is cured by healthy diets. All the calorie counting and portion control schemes don't work, if they did we wouldn't have an obesity crisis. Unhealthy foods destroy the body, its not just a matter of over-eating, on the other hand the body will maintain energy balance naturally if you're consuming a healthful diet.

Take for example the numerous studies on rats. You can give rats unlimited access to healthy chow and they don't become obese, on the other hand give them chow that is similar to the western diet and they start to become fat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniellaG View Post
No I don't think we should blame children but I do feel their parents are to blame. The parents made a choice to feed or buy those products. Some kids would eat from morning till night if allowed or only pick unhealthy items. It is a job of a parent to implement healthy guidelines.
I see, so its okay to market unhealthy foods that will make children obese because the parents should be some how controlling all their actions? Even if a parent wanted to, they couldn't prevent their children from being exposed to industry marketing (e.g., its in the schools!) nor can they control their kids actions 24/7 (e.g., while in school).

Also, why restrict alcohol and tobacco marketing? Shouldn't it be up to the parents as well?

Quote:
There is a place for treats such as cookies but that needs to be in moderation.
I understand that some food labels are hard to understand and create confusion such as the butter spray but small confusing items as this does not lead to someone becoming 50 or 100 pounds overweight. A person who is 100 pounds overweight, daily and for a long period of time is making wrong choices where they can be taking in 1000s of calories more then they need.
If people don't know what is healthy or what their body needs then they need to get educated. I have to believe when a person who is obese goes to the doctor they are told that they are unhealthy and need to make changes yet years go by for some and they don't.
There is a place for cookies? Where is that place exactly? Why ever give a child a food that elicits drug like responses in the brain and hence is highly addictive?

A person who is 100 pounds overweight is likely making numerous dietary mistakes, but a doctor telling an obese individual that they are "unhealthy" and that they need to change doesn't help them at all. Doctors, especially general doctors, know very little about nutrition and are often just as confused as their patients. The patients would have to be sent to a clinic that specializes in nutrition, but these is often not covered by insurance!

I think you are, like most, seriously underestimating the degree to which the food industry has inserted itself in American culture. Since the 1940's, the food industry in the US has become extremely devilish. It has infiltrated every facet of American life, it has changed the very way Americans live. For example, what happened to home economics? In the 1950's the food industry decided it was in their interest to destroy it, their efforts started with a fictitious character you are probably familiar with "Betty Crocker". After that the infiltrated the home economics association and turned it an organization for the promotion of their products (cake mixes, biscuit, etc) and, as you probably know, its now dead and schools don't even have home economics classes anymore.

Old 07-13-2013, 11:27 AM

3,376 posts, read 6,088,857 times
The way I see it, there are happy obese people, then there are fit and angry people.
If people find happiness through eating or working out, then we shouldn't try to change them.
Last thing we need is someone to go from a happy, fat person and transform into a muscular, angry person because someone told them they were abnormal.

Old 07-13-2013, 12:05 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,787,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
The way I see it, there are happy obese people, then there are fit and angry people.
If people find happiness through eating or working out, then we shouldn't try to change them.
Last thing we need is someone to go from a happy, fat person and transform into a muscular, angry person because someone told them they were abnormal.
I am willing to bet that there are WAY more depressed and angry obese people than fit people. Fit people tend to be happy because they feel good. Having a healthy body alleviates a lot of life's stress.

Old 07-13-2013, 12:09 PM

4,105 posts, read 5,534,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
They aren't happy or they wouldn't need so much comfort food. The massive number of obese people increase the cost of healthcare with their diabetes, heart problems etc etc etc

Old 07-13-2013, 12:17 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,033,527 times
Yeah, that's one of the problems. Personal choice is fine, but people should at the very least pay for the consequences of their choices. We don't have that in medicine, we all pay the same medicare taxes,we all pay the same insurance costs when we get a job, etc...yet obese people run up a lot higher bills.

Old 07-13-2013, 12:48 PM

4,105 posts, read 5,534,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Yeah, that's one of the problems. Personal choice is fine, but people should at the very least pay for the consequences of their choices. We don't have that in medicine, we all pay the same medicare taxes,we all pay the same insurance costs when we get a job, etc...yet obese people run up a lot higher bills.
It causes problems with the NHS as well.

Old 07-15-2013, 12:07 PM

564 posts, read 1,037,982 times
Quote:
People need to be accountable for their behaviors and actions. When you blame the food industry it is not being accountable. In a persons life there will be temptations of unhealthy foods, stress, media I could go on. It is each persons responsibility to make healthy choices and if they are not educated then to get the information they need to so they can make the best choice. Obesity does not happen over night and so a person has plenty of time to say that they need help in what is healthy and not to eat.
I agree there needs to be more personal responsibility. However, the food industry has successfully lobbied and influenced government to promote unhealthy choices. For example, grab 10 people off the street and ask them if saturated fat causes heart disease. How many will say it does? Yet there has never been a scientifically conclusive causal link. Same goes for cholesterol, which is vastly misunderstood and still a controversial topic, even among researchers. Flawed research has led to flawed dietary policy, which almost always favors industry profit and not public health.

"Low-fat" labeling (and now "gluten-free") has everyone still convinced that food "products" are healthy, when it actual fact they are almost ALWAYS poor choices. If something needs to be colored, textured, or flavored to resemble food, it is not food. If people would stick to eating whole nutrient-dense foods, the metabolic health and obesity epidemics would almost vanish.

So yes, while we are personally responsible for our health choices, we have been lied to for decades. I saw a story on the news just the other week about "healthy" school lunches. They were serving processed meat (hey, low-fat turkey!) on white bread. Might as well just give them chips and candy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss