Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 04:13 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,747,394 times

Advertisements

I find I need to do both. I am a unique and special snowflake. *

Counting calories has very little impact on the scale for me. But if I do intense exercise, something will happen on the scale. It needs to be semi-intense. Light exercise is also pointless for me (other than the anti-stress benefits and other general positives)

The intense exercise on the other hand is a great appetite suppressant, so it makes it easier to stick to my calorie goal. And I have to count them all. No "just eat whole healthy foods" for me. I also have to eat "lower" carb. I target 45%. Higher seems to not work from a scale perspective.

*I am hypothyroid and currently out of whack
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2013, 01:49 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,654,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest Maven View Post
I decided that I need to lose about 50 pounds over the course of a year (I can't imagine it coming off quicker than 12 months). I don't want to "diet," because I think diets are unhealthy and just a quick fix.

What is the quickest way to lose weight? Cutting calories, or exercising? Would be great to hear from people who've lost the weight, and how you did it. I need some inspiration from other people's weight loss experiences to motivate me.
As many have stated here, I think diet is the key. I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "I don't want to diet" but it is nearly impossible to loose weight without a reduction in daily calories. Unless you take up professional body building or major endurance sports maybe.

Now, I think that exercise is still a great component of weight loss but exercise without diet is almost a sure bet to fail but diet without exercise could still work. For example, did you know that running a MARATHON would burn LESS than one pound of fat?

How many calories does running the nyc marathon burn

So how realistic is it to do that 50 plus times in a year for you? Zero right? Now, exercise is still very important for a variety of reasons and although it helps in weight loss it is not nearly as important as diet.

So, the main question is how are you going to reduce your calories to enough to loose weight? Personally, I have lost about 12 pounds over the course of 3 months by doing intermittent fasting. I "fast" twice a week and the rest of the week I eat normally. I put fast in quotes because even on those days I still have about 600 calories a day. Anyways you can google intermittent fasting to find out more. There's a good pbs documentary on it by doctor Mosley. It works great for me and can see myself on it for a lifetime, which is really the most important because if you can't do something consistently then it ain't going to work. I figure that I am eliminating about 3500 calories a week on the diet. Which is probably why I am loosing about a pound a week.

Whatever you choose to do just remember that diet is always going to be the key because our bodies will always store excess calories for a rainy day as fat. Good luck.

Oh, one other piece of advice. Be very careful on how many calories you get from drinking (either sugary beverages or alcohol).

Last edited by biggunsmallbrains; 07-23-2013 at 01:58 PM..

Old 07-26-2013, 06:33 AM

2,079 posts, read 3,198,175 times
i did both. i didn't do any special diet, i just cut out junk food five days a week and eliminated soda. i also don't eat when i am not hungry. i go to the gym 4-5 days a week(even though i have two jobs).

and fasting is a terrible idea. eat small, but healthy meals or snacks every couple of hours(yogurt, banana, pistachios, cottage cheese, etc). i did all of the mentioned since last september, i went from 202 pounds to 156 pounds

Old 07-26-2013, 06:47 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,674,422 times
Fasting to lose weight is a terrible idea, but fasting for a day or two, a couple times a year to prepare for a significant change in lifestyle/diet/routine/philosophy/religion/mental attitude is fine.

Skipping meals is counterproductive to a *healthy* weight loss routine. Yes, you most definitely can lose weight by fasting. But if you want to be *healthy* while losing the weight, you'll do it with proper nutrition and proper exercise.

If all you want to do is lose weight fast, and you don't care about whether or not you're healthy, then stop eating, and start jogging. Indefinitely. You'll die in a few weeks, but at least you'll be thinner.

Old 07-26-2013, 07:14 AM

4,105 posts, read 5,530,414 times
I know people who work out a lot but keep eating the same rubbish. Not surprisingly, they don't lose weight.

I do both - eat healthy, count calories and workout a lot.

Old 07-27-2013, 07:46 AM

1,014 posts, read 1,558,927 times
need both for sure. I joined a fitness club I have been going 2 to 3 times a week...hour classes. I cant wait for the class to be done. I feel good afterwards though.

Old 07-27-2013, 12:18 PM

7,084 posts, read 12,595,312 times
Diet. Definitely. But not necessarily calorie restriction, but switching out the carbs.

Do yourself a favor and read Gary Taubes' book "Why We Get Fat."

Eating mostly protein (meat, fish, fowl, beans, nuts), vegetables and some fruits will forever change your weight--without dieting or hunger.

In other words, you can eat eggs and sausage/bacon for breakfast if you forget the bread, rolls, biscuits, potatoes and/or grits.

I really recommend the book...it can change your life. It did mine.

Old 07-27-2013, 12:24 PM

7,084 posts, read 12,595,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midsummer View Post
That is solid advice.

As for curbing the carbs.....I guess everyone is different. In my experience, it was especially important to skip carbs in the evening, because eating them would set me off to the point where I couldn't stop eating. A pasta dish for dinner would mean that I'd binge for the rest of the night. If I'd have the pasta for lunch, and then only a small serving of meat and veggies for dinner, I would be fine.
Me, too! The carbs, (especially simple carbs like pasta, white rice, potatoes) spike your blood sugar, then you crash, making you hungry again very soon. The protein/vegetable combo doesn't do that...key is healthy fats...

Old 07-27-2013, 01:16 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,761,868 times
I do intermittent fasting 2 days a week now - started with alternated day, then 3-day modified fasts exactly one year ago and am at about 110 lbs and holding. (Don't weigh in ever, but indirect evidence indicates this range.)
Skipping meals is SO NOT counterproductive. I have never been healthier, not taking any meds for BP/cholesterol..blood sugar levels always excellent. Weight is stable. Most people on this board will disagree. Yeah, I really care.

Old 07-30-2013, 11:27 AM

259 posts, read 668,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest Maven View Post
I decided that I need to lose about 50 pounds over the course of a year (I can't imagine it coming off quicker than 12 months). I don't want to "diet," because I think diets are unhealthy and just a quick fix.

What is the quickest way to lose weight? Cutting calories, or exercising? Would be great to hear from people who've lost the weight, and how you did it. I need some inspiration from other people's weight loss experiences to motivate me.

Quick isn't necessarily the key, but I think your goal is reasonable and can be achieved. I cut fifty pounds recently, but I spent three years doing it. Keep up the walking and ditch the carbs; wheat, pasta, potatoes, oats, etc.

Do the paleo thing. It's easy and it works. Best thing is no calorie counting and no hunger, plus it maximizes your fat burning, which is what we're MEANT to do. Our bodies store fat because they're supposed to burn fat. Excess carbs thwart this process. If you would like some personal guidance, feel free to PM me.

How does bacon, eggs and cantaloupe for breakfast sound?
less time? Cottage cheese and strawberries.

As for Charles, unfortunately he is antagonistic because he cannot manage his own weight. Three other posters in this thread are 'in the know' for losing weight and keeping it off. Congrats, and rep points for you all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss