Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 06:15 PM

2,947 posts, read 5,190,341 times

Advertisements

I'm a water drinker for years. Haven't had soda in probably 15 years. No alcohol (ok, maybe a glass of wine at a holiday meal), no coffee or tea, and no sugary juices.

Yes, I do read the juice labels, and the sugar per serving is astounding, just like yogurts. Recently, fancier and expensive orange juice appeals to me in this hot weather, splashed over ice, just for a change of pace. It has plenty of vitamin C as well as potassium. Pretty good, right?

But does all that sugar cancel the vitamin C and potassium benefits?

After all, I eat so many sweets and ice cream, highest quality only, but that's still gross to most healthy folks.

If I have the sugar from the large OJ, is it no worse than gravitating to two sugar-filled pastries? Heck, they have neither potassium nor vitamins, I'm sure. So enjoy the OJ instead?

Is eating a fresh orange or two still full of the identical sugar problem as are most bottled or fresh-squeezed juices? I would think so, but call me confused...

Last edited by bostonguy1960; 07-24-2013 at 06:17 PM.. Reason: Typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2013, 02:48 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,018,824 times
why are you so concerned with the sugar content of orange juice if you're already consuming so many sugar laden sweets? That's confusing to me.

It doesn't matter how high quality your sweets or ice cream are, they're still full of sugar or a sugar substitute that isn't good for you.

Eat the orange and skip the juice because you're more than likely to drink more of the juice (thus increasing your sugar intake) then you are to overeat on oranges.

Orange juice is orange is juice, either it's fresh or from concentrate...nothing fancy but the bottle and marketing to make you think it's fancy.

Old 07-25-2013, 10:16 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,819,357 times
Drink a glass of orange juice when you like. It aint gonna kill ya. No need to over think it. If you eat ice cream then whats a glass of OJ to you?

Old 07-25-2013, 01:47 PM

639 posts, read 1,123,657 times
When a fruit is juiced is loses most of the fiber content, which is where the sugar problem comes in. However, I'd still say that drinking 100% no added sugar fruit juice is better than drinking soda. However, unless you're diabetic or pre-diabetic, having juice sometimes isn't going to hurt you.

Old 07-26-2013, 08:04 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,743,975 times
At least its sugar, not HFCS which will give you kidney stones!

Old 07-26-2013, 08:46 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
I compare the sugar in the OJ with the rest of what the OP is saying he consumes...and come up with this analogy:

"I smack my head against brick walls, dive off cliffs to rocky creekbeds, and run my car into stucco houses for fun. But when I skin my knee, it sometimes bleeds and leaves an unsightly bruise. Is skinning one's knee bad for you?"

Old 07-27-2013, 04:08 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,018,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
I compare the sugar in the OJ with the rest of what the OP is saying he consumes...and come up with this analogy:

"I smack my head against brick walls, dive off cliffs to rocky creekbeds, and run my car into stucco houses for fun. But when I skin my knee, it sometimes bleeds and leaves an unsightly bruise. Is skinning one's knee bad for you?"

lol

Only if there's MRSA involved

Old 07-30-2013, 12:02 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times
Buy oranges and an orange juicer and have fresh orange juice when you want it.

Old 07-30-2013, 12:25 PM

259 posts, read 670,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Drink a glass of orange juice when you like. It aint gonna kill ya. No need to over think it. If you eat ice cream then whats a glass of OJ to you?

Read up on how even NOT FROM CONCENTRATE orange juice is complete garbage.

The Secret Ingredient In Your Orange Juice | Food Renegade

Old 07-30-2013, 01:01 PM

302 posts, read 499,617 times
It is always safer to buy fresh citrus and squeeze it for yourself. If you live in an area where you can't get it, then either buy from a company that will ship to you, or buy from a produce market or grocery. Just, no matter where you get it from, make sure you clean it well before juicing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss