Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2013, 08:51 AM

4,244 posts, read 7,136,384 times

Advertisements

I notice that I am now over 185 lbs....say 187 lbs...and I am tyring to keep within a 175-185 range.

I'm pretty sure this has something to do with snacking and not getting as much exercise as I usually do. I had gained 5 lbs, up to 185, during a visit home last weekend, plateued a bit, but now Im up over 185.

Deffo a warning sign that something is wrong. And maybe a confirmation of my habit of doing a daily morning weigh-in that I got this out-of-range reading, beyond my accepted deviation (sort of looking at weight maintenance as a form of statistical process control!).

Plans to cut:

Deffo the food. Zero snacks, esp. things like ginger snaps with peanut butter and honey and those Little Debbies.....essentially minimize processed foods and snack foods, except for jelly on rye for bkfst.

Exercise: Probably intesify the swimming, and when I get the bike back from the shop a a higher frequency of longer bike rides. This weekend, some longer hikes & city walks.

I guess im a bit shocked how my weight can spike with only some minor changes in eating and exercise habits. Has this happened to others? Quick weight gains after what seem like minor changes in eating and exercise?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2013, 01:31 PM

20,682 posts, read 19,798,340 times
Sounds like a plan.

I gain weight quickly but keep it under control by balancing out fast food days with salad and soup days. I am not happy if I can't have nasty food smuggled into my diet.

Old 08-01-2013, 03:13 PM

4,391 posts, read 9,447,117 times
It's much easier to gain than to lose. Also I have found when you weigh every day your weight does a yo yo effect fluctuating between 2 or 3 pounds. I do fine during the week when I am on a schedule, but the weekends is when I mess up and eat wrong.

They say that every ten years you age, you gain 10 pounds. Not sure how much truth there is to that. That has happened with me since my 20's but this past 5 years I have actually lost weight, maybe due to the fact that I am more aware of what I eat.

When in doubt read the TOS.

Old 08-01-2013, 03:18 PM

20,682 posts, read 19,798,340 times
The 7 guys in the office next to me weigh themselves once a week at work.

They have some competition going on since quite some time. First: Everybody put some $$ in a jar.

Then they all calculated what their goals were and everybody committed to losing a certain % of their body weight. Now they all look much slimmer as months ago and the winner got the $$$. How they achive the weight loss is everybody's own responsibility.

To not gain the weight back, they keep weighing themselves and need to keep that weight. I find it pretty funny to watch and very effective. Postive group pressure

Old 08-03-2013, 06:38 PM

1,014 posts, read 1,556,254 times
Oh ya, for me its the carbs if I keep on eating a lot for days and not be good, the weight packs on.

If I stick to my low carb diet I am fine. I cheat a couple of days a week.

Everybody has a diet that works for them, this is what works for me. The cheat days work for me to I am so annoyed when I waste worthless calories on a desert I did not even enjoy

Old 08-03-2013, 11:52 PM

44 posts, read 53,213 times
Eat fruist, veggies, chicken, tuna, whole wheat, and WATER. Add some 5 day a week workouts were you sweat to the oldies. LOL

PS stop worrying about your weight, its your BMI that should be important.

Old 08-05-2013, 08:54 AM

Down to 182...after getting the bike fixed and doing some nice bike rides (making up for lost time) combined with hikes, plus swimming, and cutting back on snax. So Im back within my range....yay!

Old 08-05-2013, 08:58 AM

Quote:
PS stop worrying about your weight, its your BMI that should be important.
yes, correct, im wihin my BMI range for age/sex/height, sort of use the weight as a proxy for the BMI...as the weight is the big changing variable in the BMI calcs..(this is the thumbnail BMI availabe via online calculators..i know there is more involved in trulely calculating this using various devices/procedures).

I think with me I never have to worry about not eating enough...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss