Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2013, 06:07 AM

2 posts, read 2,300 times

Advertisements

I'm 23 male, and I currently weight 230 and my height is 5'5. I want to live a healthy life, and I'm ready to make a change any advice on what to eat, how to exercise would be helpful. I currently have an exercise bike, treadmill, and some weights. I have no clue on where to begin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2013, 06:16 AM

50,330 posts, read 63,906,560 times
A person your age can easily lose weight by making small changes in eating habits. If you think you can lift some weights and keep eating what got you to 230, you are wrong.
When my husband was younger, he was in the habit of having a Coke float every night. When he thought he was getting too heavy, he lost the weight just by giving them up.
If you eat fast food, stop.
If you drink soda, stop.
If you eat a lot of fried foods, stop.
That's all a young person needs to do.

Old 09-21-2013, 06:52 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,754,982 times
Start with nutrition. Cut the fats and carbs. Replace unhealthy snacks with something healthy. Start looking at nutrition information. Once you start that good habit then start up with the exercise.

Old 09-21-2013, 07:10 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,043,847 times
Good advice from Gentlehearts....I would add that if you center your meals around vegetables, beans and legumes with 6 ounces of lean protein like fish, chicken breast or pork tenderloin and a modest amount of fruit for dessert, you will lose weight. I stopped using butter, dressings and oils and eat mostly unrefined sources of fat.... avocados, nuts and homemade oil free humus. I made vegetables the majority of my diet. I eat salmon once a week, nonfat Greek yogurt (with stevia and almond extract), beans, legumes and tofu (which is a processed food) for protein sources. I do eat some pasta, occasional rice and quinoah.....but mostly my grains are oats for breakfast with a mixture I put together of seeds, flaxseed meal and nuts. I eat bread a couple times a week.

I use stevia and no sugar. Cutting out sugar was vital for me because I am prediabetic. I find that I no longer think about sugary desserts...I just have an apple and call it good. I have lost 77 lbs. in 18 months and I eat lots of food every day. I am actually having to increase my calorie intake because I don't want to lose any more weight. 18 months ago I weighed 205 lbs. This morning I weighed 128. I am 5'9" and I just turned 63. I climb the steepest hills in our subdivision as part of my 4 times a week 5 mile walk.....I stay active all day.

Just remember...diet is 80% of most weight loss. I would ease into exercise af first and get the revised way of eating going first. Doing crazy amounts of exercise right off the bat will only discourage most because of size and stamina. Modify your diet and walk....that is all I did at first and I am a lot older than you. Bump up the intensity of your workouts as the weight loss increases and your energy allows.

I stopped buying those foods that I found hard to resist....they are no longer calling me because they are not in the house and haven't been part of my diet for a long time.

I realize this way of eating is not for everyone but it works beautifully for me. I love being slim, having more energy, being able to look nice in my clothes and not having to camouflage my fat with long jackets, blouses and sweaters...I tuck my shirts in and wear nice belts. I feel great....it just isn't worth it to me to go back to my old lifestyle of eating whatever I want....I guess that is the bottom line you have to ask yourself: Is food more important to you than being healthy and looking good? Is food the center of your life? Being greatly overweight really limits us in so many ways.

Last edited by Cattknap; 09-21-2013 at 08:11 AM..

Old 09-21-2013, 07:11 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,473,825 times
Strangely, I would even recommend a couple of months at least on Weight Watchers. They will give you the info you need on setting up a weight loss program and the program also teaches nutrition and triggers.

Or find a gym that also has a nutritionist on duty. We have one here in town.

Old 09-21-2013, 07:33 AM

280 posts, read 421,756 times
Use your treadmill 6 days a week, make sure it's on an incline level, flat is harder on your knees. Instead of time, make miles your goal-start with 1 mile, than bump it up by .5 increments each week. As a beginner, you might start with dumbbells. Richard Simmons tone and sweat is a good video for you to try, that's what I use. Good luck, you can do it! Your diet is going to be the main thing so whatever you can do to eat clean and eat in your calorie zone is going to make the most difference.

Old 09-21-2013, 07:39 AM

1,549 posts, read 4,255,611 times
So many ways to lose weight. I lost weight initially doing a reduction in calories and just exercising. I am currently doing Paleo and have dropped a lot of weight doing that. Get active! You can start by walking right now then build up to running and lifting some weights for muscle development. Best wishes to you!

Old 09-26-2013, 08:34 PM

9 posts, read 11,428 times
Combination of fruit extracts like cucumber, apple and carrots tastes good and can be an alternative for snack instead of eating solids. Go into sports like badminton or tennis it may also help.

Old 09-28-2013, 06:57 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
cut out sweets altogether, cut out the carbs,,,eat meat, veggies, drink only water, and plenty of it (makes you less hungry)
chew sugar free gum- a mental thing, reduces cravings...

if you are craving sweets, but some nonfat whipped cream and have with fruit...

yogurt is good too...for a snack

for exercise- its usually a head game,,,so start slow,,,so as not to get discouraged....even if you just do 3 sets of five- sit ups , push ups, and jumping jacks,,,morning and night.... to start
once you start feeling better increase reps,,then go into dumbells

plan ahead for low calorie snacks...

Old 09-30-2013, 06:20 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,383,433 times
Nutrition is the largest piece of the weight loss puzzle. Start with modifying your diet, by making realistic changes. Eat more fruit, vegetables, lower fat protein, and whole grains. Eat less fatty meats, caloric sauces, and empty calories from soda and sugar. Start to be more aware of calories.

You will then add in exercise after mastering a better diet. If you fall off the diet bandwagon, don't go off the deep end. You didn't get overweight in a month, and it will take time to lose it. Aim for 1-3 pounds a week.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss