Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 02:59 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,011,224 times

Advertisements

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/...ing-your-brain
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2013, 03:53 PM

1,322 posts, read 3,472,383 times
The more I read and try to be an informed patient, the more confused I become.

Old 11-05-2013, 12:05 AM

2,429 posts, read 4,019,885 times
I read it. I'm with talloolia. Who knows what to believe any more. I try to do everything in moderation -- with some foods more limited than others. But if I can eat well 80 percent of the time, I'll just have to keep reminding myself to not freak out about the rest.

I'm not trying to RUSH myself into the grave with what I eat. But I just can't stress about it any more than I already do.

Old 11-05-2013, 03:49 PM

192 posts, read 250,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by talloolla View Post
The more I read, the more confused I become.
That's the idea. I've been fortunate to find the data that clears everything up, so I can see the opinion article for the propaganda it is.

The anti-carb movement is to counter the recent move away from meat(Meat ind. profits dropping), and big-meat-eaters not wanting to be wrong.

But the Chinese(grain-based eaters) - and monkeys and horses - aren't fat, and don't all have insulin resistance or diabetes "3".

As for brain health: The thin healthier Chinese(smartest people) are buying up(taking over) the US(which eats much higher fat).

Here's my video's on diet confusion:

Diet confusion:
Diet confusion. You can free youself. 5 - YouTube

Crazy diet advice:
Crazy diet advice. WAPF, low-carb high-fat low-calorie - YouTube

See also: Low-carb/paleo quacks exposed myths

Old 11-06-2013, 08:34 AM

7,444 posts, read 7,011,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacman View Post
That's the idea. I've been fortunate to find the data that clears everything up, so I can see the opinion article for the propaganda it is.

The anti-carb movement is to counter the recent move away from meat(Meat ind. profits dropping), and big-meat-eaters not wanting to be wrong.

But the Chinese(grain-based eaters) - and monkeys and horses - aren't fat, and don't all have insulin resistance or diabetes "3".

As for brain health: The thin healthier Chinese(smartest people) are buying up(taking over) the US(which eats much higher fat).

Here's my video's on diet confusion:

Diet confusion:
Diet confusion. You can free youself. 5 - YouTube

Crazy diet advice:
Crazy diet advice. WAPF, low-carb high-fat low-calorie - YouTube

See also: Low-carb/paleo quacks exposed myths
Yes, everyone is promoting something.

Old 11-11-2013, 07:34 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,479,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacman View Post

Those Chinese "buying up" the globe are the .5%, not the laundry-ladies of Guangzhou.

Further, the Chinese diet is not rice rice rice. The traditional "square meal" of China is/was 1 part rice/grain, three parts vegetables, and one part meat/plant protein (depending on household finances).

This is in contrast with the typical American meal of a massive portion of meat, a heap of carbs, and a minuscule garnish of vegetables (if any).

Old 11-13-2013, 08:46 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,078,663 times
The populations with high carbohydrate consumption, whether from grains or potatoes, do not have increased rates of brain diseases compared to the western world....instead its the opposite. The high carbohydrate populations have low rates of brain disease.....along with other diseases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelorn View Post
Further, the Chinese diet is not rice rice rice. The traditional "square meal" of China is/was 1 part rice/grain, three parts vegetables, and one part meat/plant protein (depending on household finances).
A traditional Chinese meal contains more rice than this, traditionally they eat large amounts of grains. You have to get your calories from somewhere, vegetables are low calorie and can't contribute that much to your overall calorie needs. For that you need starchy foods, sugary foods, protein rich foods or fatty foods. The Chinese, traditionally, have relied on starchy and sugary foods far more than protein rich and fatty foods.

Old 12-10-2013, 03:30 PM

7,115 posts, read 12,654,276 times
I probably shouldn't comment as I'm only a third through the book Grain Brain..but I will anyhow..lol.

What' I've learned so far is that it's not all carbs that cause us problems and disease, but carbs that contain gluten--mainly wheat, which is all so common in our Western diets.

Asians eat rice, true, but it's gluten-free. As is corn, buckwheat, quinoa, and some other grains (carbs). Potatoes are gluten-free.

If you've been noticing a lot of new gluten-free foods in the marketplace, this is why.

Me, I'm going to cut back a lot on gluten foods...and eat more protein and veggies--including eggs...it's how I like to eat anyhow, so no big deal.

As for pizza, which I love, I've just discovered a new pizza crust mix that's gluten-fee--so I can have my pie and still reduce my gluten consumption.

Old 12-26-2013, 02:25 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Is a beer once in a while going against the gluten free diet? what about wine and spirits?.

Old 01-06-2014, 10:30 AM

12 posts, read 24,580 times
I think some of the "experts" get a little crazy on the no-grain thing, but there isn't any doubt that grain is amazingly different today v. a few hundred years ago (or, for that matter, only 50 years ago) and there definitely isn't any doubt that we eat way, way, way too many processed foods in general...and that many of those processed foods are wheat-based.

And we're not healthy.

Yes, I believe there's a tie-in and there is some good science behind what wheat can do to some people - perhaps many people - physiologically. But I'm cautious about the extremely militant "experts" - read ALL the studies you can get your hands on, not just a list of studies from any one anti-wheat guru.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss