U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 01:55 PM

208 posts, read 269,431 times

Advertisements

Hello there,
I have been casual dieting for over a year and am on the verge of looking into gastric bypass. I don't want to do anything that drastic, so I'm back to counting calories and walking more.

I have a BMI of 41, I have been checked for diabetes and thyroid issues, negative on both. No matter what I do I cannot lose weight. I honestly do not eat that much, granted I do enjoy the occasional bag of cheetos, but I don't eat fast food, rarely eat meat, have increased my water intake, etc...

I am looking at different diet pills avail and there is one called Belviq that looks promising. I took phentermine back in the 90's and I had incredible results with that. Unfortunately I gained it all back plus more. I don't want something that is "speed". Have any of you tried it? If so, what were some of the side effects and your results?

Thanks so much for any personal experiences you can share.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2014, 10:01 AM

2,271 posts, read 2,313,585 times
Save your money. Diet pills are unhealthy and do not promote healthy weight loss. The only thing that loses weight is your wallet.
Your diet and exercise can be tweaked to be more effective.
Get rid of the Cheetos. Get rid of ALL junk food. Do not ever use junk food as a treat or a reward. Just stay away.
Eat whole foods. Lots of veggies, lean protein, healthy fats, occasional fruit, some whole grains. Avoid prepackaged foods.
Walk more. Further and faster and add a hill in if you can. Pump your arms, get your heart rate up.

Bottom line, you are consuming more calories than you are burning. You should keep track of your food intake on websites like Sparkpeople or Fitday. Joining WW would be a plus.

And remember this…if diet pills actually worked no one would be fat.

Old 01-04-2014, 02:43 PM

20,331 posts, read 16,609,173 times
Diet pills dont work, healthy eating habits low in carbs and a physical lifestyle will work.
Try reading a book called wheat belly for additional info on dietary lifestyle change.

Old 01-04-2014, 02:59 PM

14,851 posts, read 17,990,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calif408 View Post
Hello there,
I have been casual dieting for over a year and am on the verge of looking into gastric bypass. I don't want to do anything that drastic, so I'm back to counting calories and walking more.

I have a BMI of 41, I have been checked for diabetes and thyroid issues, negative on both. No matter what I do I cannot lose weight. I honestly do not eat that much, granted I do enjoy the occasional bag of cheetos, but I don't eat fast food, rarely eat meat, have increased my water intake, etc...

I am looking at different diet pills avail and there is one called Belviq that looks promising. I took phentermine back in the 90's and I had incredible results with that. Unfortunately I gained it all back plus more. I don't want something that is "speed". Have any of you tried it? If so, what were some of the side effects and your results?

Thanks so much for any personal experiences you can share.
From the belviq.com website.

Changes in attention or memory: BELVIQ may slow your thinking. You should not drive a car or operate heavy equipment until you know how BELVIQ affects you.

Mental problems: Taking too much BELVIQ may cause hallucinations, a feeling of being high or in a very good mood, or feelings of standing outside your body.

Depression or thoughts of suicide: Call your doctor right away if you notice any mental changes, especially sudden changes in your mood, behaviors, thoughts, or feelings, or if you have depression or thoughts of suicide.

Do you really want to deal with these kinds of potential side effects?

20yrsinBranson

Old 01-04-2014, 07:05 PM

388 posts, read 306,154 times
I think you need a giant mind set shift. You open with "I casually diet" and then ask about diet pills. At a bmi of 41, change is going to be a lot of work and the first step is going to my fitness pal abd tracking what you eat

Old 01-05-2014, 03:05 PM

3,745 posts, read 2,861,897 times
"Among the morbidly obese, less than 5 percent succeed in losing a significant amount of weight and maintaining the weight loss with non-surgical programs..."

So you would REALLY have to work, and REALLY MAINTAIN it for the rest of your life to avoid being part of the 95% who fail at weight control. IMO, re-think surgery while you're still healthy enough to get it.

BTW, this article also talks about meds.

Obesity Treatment | Conditions & Treatments | UCSF Medical Center

Old 01-06-2014, 06:29 PM

4,624 posts, read 2,857,559 times
As a woman who has yo-yo dieted for the past 20yrs...pills won't do it over the long haul...neither will fad diets...really the secret to sustained weight loss is counting calories and increasing exercise...there are no shortcuts...I know I've tried them all...Belviq is just the latest before that HCG before that Phen-phen and Redux...

Old 01-07-2014, 09:00 PM

14,851 posts, read 17,990,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmedes2 View Post
I think you need a giant mind set shift. You open with "I casually diet" and then ask about diet pills. At a bmi of 41, change is going to be a lot of work and the first step is going to my fitness pal abd tracking what you eat
Fitness Pal bungs up by Android something fierce. I can't use it on my phone. Just online.

20yrsinBranson

Old 01-07-2014, 11:27 PM

208 posts, read 269,431 times
I appreciate everyone's input. I have not gone into the mental aspect of it, the reason why I eat so much. I have gained 100 lbs in one year.
While I appreciate everyone's insight, I am looking for someone who has actually tried the pill and get their experience.

Old 01-08-2014, 08:50 AM

7,673 posts, read 8,116,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calif408 View Post
I appreciate everyone's input. I have not gone into the mental aspect of it, the reason why I eat so much. I have gained 100 lbs in one year.
While I appreciate everyone's insight, I am looking for someone who has actually tried the pill and get their experience.
I guarantee you that no one has successfully used any diet pill for sustained weight loss.

Eat less, exercise more. And by all means, if you've gained 100 pounds in a year, try to figure out why.

That's a crazy on-going binge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss