Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 03:08 PM

686 posts, read 1,231,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh1960 View Post
The quickest way I know of to lose weight with little hunger while building muscle and boosting metabolism, is a good hCG. Do it ONLY under a Dr.'s supervision and a doctor who prescribes the DAILY injections.
This is horrible advice. Under no circumstances should anyone take HCG for weight loss. IT DOES NOT WORK!!! It is one of the worst "diet" scams EVER.

Never ever even consider HCG for weight loss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2014, 06:35 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
Most diets fail, because people don't analyze how they eat, when they eat...

1. No more food after 8 pm. Water, or tea. If you are starving hungry, have a protein drink.
2. Do not eat out, at all. If you do, restrict yourself to a salad, small, with low fat dressing. A Cobb salad has the same calories as a Big Mac, fries, and a Coke!
3. Do not make your life about food. Any diet book with recipes, toss. The goal is to simplify your eating, not spend time cooking a recipe, that serves 6... Most food comes in single serving, an egg, an apple, a potato...
4. Reduce intake of meat, and things made with wheat. I also cut out cheese, I love cheese crackers...
5. Cut out alcohol, this was easy for me.
6. Exercise...every day, make your life about going to the gym. I take classes, and my rule is, any class I start, I have to stay and finish. I also do a half hour on the elliptical. High intensity.

Old 01-14-2014, 10:23 AM

38 posts, read 57,469 times
Thank you all for the advice and support. I'm making a lifestyle change, not just trying to make a deadline. Its just the timeframe I would like. I've been doing a lot of hard work and lost 5 pounds since this post. Thanks!

Old 01-14-2014, 10:29 AM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarie007 View Post
Thank you all for the advice and support. I'm making a lifestyle change, not just trying to make a deadline. Its just the timeframe I would like. I've been doing a lot of hard work and lost 5 pounds since this post. Thanks!
Good for you! Keep at it!

Old 01-14-2014, 10:38 AM

38 posts, read 57,469 times
Thanks! I joined MFP (myfitnesspal) and got the app and its very very helpful!

Old 01-14-2014, 10:41 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,356,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Most diets fail, because people don't analyze how they eat, when they eat...

1. No more food after 8 pm. Water, or tea. If you are starving hungry, have a protein drink.
2. Do not eat out, at all. If you do, restrict yourself to a salad, small, with low fat dressing. A Cobb salad has the same calories as a Big Mac, fries, and a Coke!
3. Do not make your life about food. Any diet book with recipes, toss. The goal is to simplify your eating, not spend time cooking a recipe, that serves 6... Most food comes in single serving, an egg, an apple, a potato...
4. Reduce intake of meat, and things made with wheat. I also cut out cheese, I love cheese crackers...
5. Cut out alcohol, this was easy for me.
6. Exercise...every day, make your life about going to the gym. I take classes, and my rule is, any class I start, I have to stay and finish. I also do a half hour on the elliptical. High intensity.

What??? I hope you are saying this for her because of her wanting to shed the weight so fast not for everyone and as a general recommendation.

#1 is simply not true and has been shown time and again.
#2 is not going to happen for most people. Never??? Let's be realistic.
#3 I don't think people need diet books but really just an egg or an apple?
#4 is also sad. Cheese cut out completely?
#5 completely???
#6 every day?!?

OUCH. I lost thirty-five pounds pretty easily and I didn't ascribe to any of these things. All I did was count calories (which includes weighing/measuring food to learn appropriate/accurate serving sizes) and made myself walk again and not every day. Everything in moderation, since for most people removing items completely (unless necessary, like life-or-death situations) leads to falling off the wagon completely. I still eat plenty of goodies, cheese (moderation!), drink beer (moderation!) and the weight stays off. Calories in, calories out. My labs are perfect, BMI is 19.8 and people probably wouldn't believe I ate a slice of pizza this morning amongst other things for breakfast.

Old 01-14-2014, 11:08 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,819,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
What??? I hope you are saying this for her because of her wanting to shed the weight so fast not for everyone and as a general recommendation.

#1 is simply not true and has been shown time and again.
#2 is not going to happen for most people. Never??? Let's be realistic.
#3 I don't think people need diet books but really just an egg or an apple?
#4 is also sad. Cheese cut out completely?
#5 completely???
#6 every day?!?

OUCH. I lost thirty-five pounds pretty easily and I didn't ascribe to any of these things. All I did was count calories (which includes weighing/measuring food to learn appropriate/accurate serving sizes) and made myself walk again and not every day. Everything in moderation, since for most people removing items completely (unless necessary, like life-or-death situations) leads to falling off the wagon completely. I still eat plenty of goodies, cheese (moderation!), drink beer (moderation!) and the weight stays off. Calories in, calories out. My labs are perfect, BMI is 19.8 and people probably wouldn't believe I ate a slice of pizza this morning amongst other things for breakfast.
Amazing what can happen when you use common sense huh? Congrats on your loss and the ability to keep it off. I subscribe to that way of eating myself. No food group is excluded. Moderation and exercise. Yes and my labs where good too. My Cholesterol level impressed my doctor as well as my blood pressure.
Wheat Belly schmeat belly, paleo schmaleo.

Old 01-14-2014, 02:14 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
Some people can lose weight without being draconian. Good for them.

However, when you have a specific amount to lose, and a deadline, it is time to buckle down and be serious.

Some of us, are hard core food addicts. And lazy. I am. We are overweight because we like to eat, and don't like exercise.

That is when, you simplify the diet. And your life, to focus on the goal. I have been on the Daniel Plan, it is working for me.

It is not extreme to cut out pizza and beer for six months of your life...or go out to eat, and order a small salad. This too shall pass...

Old 01-14-2014, 02:20 PM

1,013 posts, read 1,421,546 times
Thirty years ago the USAF classified me as a Chunky Chicken at 130 lbs (5'2) during Basic training -my maximum allowable was 133 if I remember correctly.

Old 01-15-2014, 09:03 AM

1 posts, read 879 times
Default Weight Loss

I had to lose a lot of weight because it was getting unhealthy and cut out the carbs and the soda. There was a huge difference! Some of my friends told me about a gym in Irvine called Primal Fitness and they helped me reach all of my fitness goals. If you're around the area I highly recommend it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss