Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 11:02 AM

564 posts, read 1,040,451 times

Advertisements

2-3 eggs (with yolks, because that's where all the goodness is), scrambled in a splash of whole milk with chopped green pepper, mushrooms, onions, and asparagus

2-3 strips bacon OR 1 large pork sausage

Black coffee or orange pekoe tea
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2014, 11:10 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,819,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueberry Pancake View Post
Alternatively, you can skip breakfast and wait to have your first meal until noon. Fasting is good and you don't have to eat first thing in the morning. You actually don't need to eat every day.
Thats true and some people do better with no breakfast. I have to eat something, but it has to be small. I need the fuel to get me going or else I get nauseous. I do not like big meals for breakfast.

Old 01-14-2014, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wry_Martini View Post
I often make steel-cut oats in my slow-cooker, overnight. They're ready to eat when I get up in the morning. I make them using almond milk, a handful of fried fruit, and some sliced or chopped nuts, plus a sprinkle of brown sugar. Yummy!
I love the idea of steel cut oats in the slow cooker! I just use the instant McCanns. Not nearly as good. I like walnuts, dried fruit and a few drops of real maple syrup.

Old 01-14-2014, 02:52 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,743,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
I love the idea of steel cut oats in the slow cooker! I just use the instant McCanns. Not nearly as good. I like walnuts, dried fruit and a few drops of real maple syrup.
In case you want to give it a try, here's the way I make mine. It helps if you get the smallest slow-cooker they make -- if you only have a big one, I've heard you can prepare a single portion by putting the ingredients in a bowl that'll fit inside the slow cooker's ceramic bowl, then surround it with water to make a water bath. Haven't tried this method yet, but I keep meaning to.)

1 cup uncooked steel cut oats
3 cups almond milk (could use water instead if you're not into almond milk, but I do this for extra protein and added flavor)
1/4 cup dried fruit (chopped apricots, raisins, whatever you want to use)
1/4 cup sliced almonds or other nut

Cook on low for 7-8 hours. It may form a bit of a crust on top, which is quite yummy. I stir in a bit of brown sugar before serving.

One tip: be sure and soak the slow cooker insert in soapy water after eating; that stuff turns into glue and can be hard to wash!

Old 01-14-2014, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wry_Martini View Post
In case you want to give it a try, here's the way I make mine. It helps if you get the smallest slow-cooker they make -- if you only have a big one, I've heard you can prepare a single portion by putting the ingredients in a bowl that'll fit inside the slow cooker's ceramic bowl, then surround it with water to make a water bath. Haven't tried this method yet, but I keep meaning to.)

1 cup uncooked steel cut oats
3 cups almond milk (could use water instead if you're not into almond milk, but I do this for extra protein and added flavor)
1/4 cup dried fruit (chopped apricots, raisins, whatever you want to use)
1/4 cup sliced almonds or other nut

Cook on low for 7-8 hours. It may form a bit of a crust on top, which is quite yummy. I stir in a bit of brown sugar before serving.

One tip: be sure and soak the slow cooker insert in soapy water after eating; that stuff turns into glue and can be hard to wash!
Thanks!

Old 01-14-2014, 08:17 PM

686 posts, read 1,231,148 times
Option #1 - Trader Joes crunchy unsalted almond butter on whole wheat bread and 2 boiled eggs.

Option #2 - Steel cut oats with a FEW craisins.

Option #3 - Half grapefruit, cottage cheese with almond slivers.

Option #4 - 2 boiled eggs, baby spinach and half grapefruit.

Old 01-14-2014, 08:21 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
Natures Path Smart Bran, 90% of the time. I discovered it years ago and it..just..works Coffee of course. And if I bought some good high fiber bread I'll swap the cereal out for a slice of toast. A few times a month I use my NutriBullett to whip up carrots, spinach & a bits of leftover fruit and gulp that down.

Old 01-14-2014, 09:30 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,769,804 times
Two fried eggs, 2 or more slices of thick cut bacon, 1/2 sliced tomato or leftover vegetables, a slice or two of rye toast w/Kerrygold butter.
I rarely eat "breakfast" before 11 am - usually around noon, and Ill eat dinner whenever I get hungry, usually 6- 7 PM depending on how much I ate earlier.
This is only on days when I eat a full caloric load.

Oh yeah, I forgot the two+ cups of black dark roast coffee. Yummy all the way round!

If I am really lazy, or running late I will default to leftovers, like beef stew, a chunk of chicken, or reheated pizza.. even cold it'll work for me, but I much prefer it hot and toasty.

Last edited by tjarado; 01-14-2014 at 09:40 PM..

Old 01-14-2014, 09:44 PM

4,205 posts, read 4,456,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
I am trying to revamp my breakfasts a little to be healthier. I tend not to do a lot of prep work, and as such have relied mostly on a steady diet of things which are probably not the best breakfast foods around. Bagels, english muffins, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.

I want to try and transition to something which will back a good amount of energy and be a metabolism jump starter, while being a healthy choice for a mild long term weight loss plan of about 10-15 lbs.

I think my poor breakfast choices have been hurting my later in the day energy levels somewhat, which has made it more challenging for me to complete my late day workouts (usually a 4-5 mile jog).

Any suggestions of some simple, easy things I can focus on here?
Always have a serving bowl of cut up fresh fruit (mostly pineapple, or melons) in fridge of which I grab a few pieces along with a chug a lug or two of almond milk in the morning.

I keep dry roasted almonds, yogurt, oranges /apples, beef jerky, and little chocolate squares at my work station. Along with canned soup and water crackers during winter months. I simply eat when I'm hungry (mimic foraging throughout the day) and this works well for me.

Old 01-14-2014, 09:45 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times
I eat whatever I am hungry for that morning which can be anything from pancakes and eggs to waffles to french toast to scrambled eggs, bacon and toast to leftover spaghetti, pizza or meatloaf.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss