Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 04:56 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,953,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedasusual View Post
Honestly I have never had any success whatsoever with exercising instead of dieting. In my experience, it only tones up the muscles under the fat and makes you look bulkier. Diet first, lose the weight, and then start doing more physical activity. Doesn't have to be intense, just enough to help keep the weight off.

I have coworkers who say "I don't want to cut back on what I eat, so I will just exercise more." Backwards.
+1. I've tried the exercise thing without changing the diet also and it accomplishes a whole lot of nothing for me. I have to be on a strict diet 90% of the time to lose any weight at all. But I'm short, female, nearly 40, and taking meds notorious for causing weight gain, so it's all out war on my weight all day, every day. I keep it under control with 4 days hard cardio, 2 days strength training, and clean eating 5 small meals a day of a few carbs but mostly protein and veggies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2014, 06:11 AM

47 posts, read 56,628 times
Diets Should be dangerous for our health, Better options is that Do Different types of Exercise, Yoga, Jumping, Running, Short Distance Running, Aerobic, Cardio etc.

Old 04-01-2014, 01:04 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,335,318 times
You need both to do well. Realize that you can consume loads of calories in a very short amount of time. It takes a while to burn it off.

My ideal lunch, when I am not on the Pepsi, Snickers, and Twinkie diet that I shared in a thread I started, is to eat a platefull of raw spinage with other leafy vegetables and carrots tossed on top of that. I drink water along with that. It helps to balance out the dinners my wife will make when i get home. Had to start watching those as well. When she works at the hospital I always tell her I will eat later and then eat much less than what she would serve me.

Old 04-02-2014, 02:19 PM

Location: Olde English District, SC (look it up on Wikipedia)
243 posts, read 366,729 times
Here's my experience: A couple of months ago I stepped up my cardio from moderate to intense out of frustration that the scale wasn't budging. In addition to burning more calories, I've also noticed that the intense workouts actually help curb my appetite afterwards. I exercise in the evening, a couple of hours after dinner, and usually all I want to do now is drink lots of water, rather than eat after. I usually go to bed without having the evening snack that I craved after the moderate workouts. As a result, I've lost about 10 lbs. since changing to more intense exercise. So, if you're in good health, you might want to experiment some with your cardio routine.

Old 04-03-2014, 05:05 AM

47 posts, read 56,628 times
As We know Exercise is always give a better result, it can give better and good result. It improve all-over functional system and nerves system.

Old 04-03-2014, 08:44 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,813,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johndocter View Post
As We know Exercise is always give a better result, it can give better and good result. It improve all-over functional system and nerves system.
You cannot out exercise a bad diet. Diet is at least 80% of the equation.

Old 04-04-2014, 09:03 AM

2,079 posts, read 3,207,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Diet is at least 80% of the equation.
everybody is different. diet may be more than 50% of the equation in general, but to make a one-size-fits-all formula like that is just idiotic.

Old 04-04-2014, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StAcKhOuSe View Post
everybody is different. diet may be more than 50% of the equation in general, but to make a one-size-fits-all formula like that is just idiotic.
Its common logic that you cannot out exercise an abundance of calories. You can lose weight dieting alone, but you cannot lose weight just by exercising, unless you are burning more than you are taking in. That is a fact that applies to everyone.

Old 04-04-2014, 10:11 AM

2,079 posts, read 3,207,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Its common logic that you cannot out exercise an abundance of calories. You can lose weight dieting alone, but you cannot lose weight just by exercising, unless you are burning more than you are taking in. That is a fact that applies to everyone.
i get that, but diet is not 80% of the equation for all people. it is dependent on gender, age, genetics, etc.

Old 04-05-2014, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StAcKhOuSe View Post
i get that, but diet is not 80% of the equation for all people. it is dependent on gender, age, genetics, etc.
You are right, sometimes its 90%.
However if you are already at a good weight exercise is the best defense for staying at that good weight. Exercise is the reason I can maintain my weight. Plus I do not go lever board on calories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss