U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 08:59 AM

65 posts, read 37,622 times

Advertisements

So I need to lose roughly 75lbs. I've started tracking what I eat and have started going back to the gym. Since I need to lose so much, should I focus more or cardio or more on strength training?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2014, 10:18 AM

5,367 posts, read 6,458,755 times
Focus on your diet. Exercise is 10% of the equation. You cannot out exercise a bad diet. That said, do both, cardio and strength training. Make sure you are burning more calories than you are taking in, and have patience.

Old 02-23-2014, 10:50 AM

94 posts, read 330,963 times
I am definitely working on my diet. I track everything with MyFitnessPal and am staying under my allotted calorie limit. I was just wondering, since I am starting the gym routine, which would be more effective at this stage.

Old 02-23-2014, 11:23 AM

5,367 posts, read 6,458,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preditor74 View Post
I am definitely working on my diet. I track everything with MyFitnessPal and am staying under my allotted calorie limit. I was just wondering, since I am starting the gym routine, which would be more effective at this stage.
Like I said, do both. Always push yourself to get to the next level. If your workout is easy then it is not effective. Strength training should be emphasized because muscle mass burns more calories at rest. You can choose to do cardio one day and strength the other, or spilt your workouts and do both on the same day. Its really what you are most comfortable with. Most people will tell you to do strength training first, and they are probably right, but I prefer to do cardio first and that works for me.
If your gym has a pool try and mix in some swimming. Hands down the best workout.

Old 02-26-2014, 04:54 AM

3,755 posts, read 9,614,586 times
We do a blend of both. Body Pump uses weight and repetition and helps build and sculpt muscles. Husband uses maximum weight and tells me it has a cardio benefit. Then we do Low Impact Cardio and that has an all over benefit.

I am a believer in balance in all things since we want to improve health and maintain it.

Old 02-26-2014, 05:10 AM

5,190 posts, read 4,059,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Like I said, do both. Always push yourself to get to the next level. If your workout is easy then it is not effective. Strength training should be emphasized because muscle mass burns more calories at rest. You can choose to do cardio one day and strength the other, or spilt your workouts and do both on the same day. Its really what you are most comfortable with. Most people will tell you to do strength training first, and they are probably right, but I prefer to do cardio first and that works for me.
If your gym has a pool try and mix in some swimming. Hands down the best workout.
This is great advice.

I do both. Weight training is so important, especially as you get older. Cardio helps with high blood pressure (although diet is key for this, too).

Old 02-26-2014, 02:03 PM

7,376 posts, read 12,897,073 times
Fork blocks and table push aways

Old 02-28-2014, 09:47 AM

686 posts, read 983,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molson1020 View Post
So I need to lose roughly 75lbs. I've started tracking what I eat and have started going back to the gym. Since I need to lose so much, should I focus more or cardio or more on strength training?
You need to do BOTH and MORE IMPORTANTLY focus on your diet. It is not enough to just "track what you eat". You need to eat right (i.e., no sweets, minimal fruits, no sugars, no soda, no artificial sweeteners, easy on the carbs, etc.).

Without knowing what shape you are currently in now, or how much time you have per gym session, I can only recommend this basic type of program to help with your weight loss.

1. Spend 5-10 minutes on a treadmill/elliptical/rower to get your body warmed up. Warmed up meaning heart pumping.

2. Do your strength/weight training session .

4. After completing your weights, do your cardio. Best to mix in some sprints here as well.

This is a good basic "starter" program that would get you on the way to losing the weight, but if you have a poor diet none of this will work. You MUST MUST MUST MUST eat right, and eat right CONSISTENTLY!!!

Old 02-28-2014, 11:37 AM

5,288 posts, read 17,974,515 times
Molson.....I lost 80 lbs......changed my way of eating almost 3 years ago. I started off by walking....eating whole foods, no junk, no white carbs, more veggies, fruits, nuts, beans, etc.

The lighter you get, the easier it will be to increase your workout. I am 63 and I just finished a 100 minute workout which included 4 miles on the treadmill, lots of weights, yoga and stretching.....I could have never done this 80 lbs. ago. It takes time and consistency....do some kind of exercise every day and increase the time and intensity over time. Be patient with yourself (not indulgent) and realize it will take time to take the weight off...just don't give up even if you fall off the wagon.

Old 03-01-2014, 07:33 PM

145 posts, read 156,157 times
The long slow stuff will melt the pounds away.

Run or swim every day for an hour.

You'll see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or