Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 11:06 AM

20,758 posts, read 19,958,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbelle View Post
The only sport I usually do is walking, because it is the easier one and also because I have knee problems (Chondromalacia patellae aka CMP) and it is the most "healthy" way to move my body for me in this moment.

The thing is, I use music and the app endomondo sport tracker while walking to make it "funnier" but sometimes I wonder if I am not wasting my time, because in this case I's better stop doing it.

I am not on diet right now but I am planning it, my diet is more or less healthy, I don't usually eat junk food or fried stuff, I fry with small quantity of olive oil and never with butter. My diet can be called Mediterranean.

My height is 160cm and weight 65,6kg. = 5,3tall and 124,56 pounds. I want to lose more or less 6 kgs.

Is walking a good way to lose weight and burn fats?? I want to lose volume especially under waist, hips and legs.

thanks.
You have to walk ALOT to lose weight. Miles and miles.

With your knee problems I would recommend joining a gym. The treadmill is better for your knees as the hard ground outside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2014, 05:10 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,045,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post

With your knee problems I would recommend joining a gym. The treadmill is better for your knees as the hard ground outside.
I have bad knees - lots of arthritis and torn cartilage - have had arthroscopic surgery and I have been getting cortisone shots in my knees for over 18 months (every 3 months)....I use the treadmill in the winter months when weather is too cold to go out. During the summer I climb the steepest hills in our subdivision (the hills are too steep to bike on).....long, steep hills. I include the two steepest hills in my 5 mile walk and my husband and I do this 3 to 4 times a week.

I find the repetitive angle of the treadmill - my foot/leg hitting the treadmill at the same incline (I usually do 4 miles at the fastest speed I can walk without feeling unsafe (3.7)...if I crank up the incline to 10 (highest incline) and keep it there the whole 4 miles, my ankles and knees hurt but if I vary the incline periodically - let's say speeds of 5.0 to 10 (changing incline every 4 or 5 minutes), then I have much less pain - but still I do have pain.

I find the varying angles of real walking/hiking to be generally less painful than the repetitiveness of the treadmill but I am sure this varies with the individual.

As far as walking being good for losing weight - when you walk 5 miles 4 times a week and climb long steep hills at a fast pace, you lose weight. I have to eat more during the summer in order to maintain my weight.

Last edited by Cattknap; 03-12-2014 at 06:22 PM..

Old 03-12-2014, 07:40 PM

255 posts, read 407,171 times
Walking works for me. I'd love to be able to run, but with my ankle I can't. I hurt it about five years ago, and it's been screwed up since and anytime I run it starts hurting again. But I walk as much as I possibly can. I haven't been walking as much in the last few months because of all the snow we've been getting. However, when it's nice out I walk up to two hours a day. I will take as many trails and paths as I can, and just walk with my headphones in. It's very relaxing for me, and I've actually really missed it. I can't wait for the snow to be gone. I thought for sure I could start walking again this week because it's been nice out, but of course we got a blast of snow. In the summers, I also walk the lake trails. Last summer everyday after work when I was on day shift, I went straight to the lake trails and hiked them. It's 20 km around the lake and takes about three and a half hours to four hours. It depends on how much energy I have after work. On days I don't work, I can do them fast but after being on my feet for eight hours I am usually a little slower. It keeps me thin, and in the summers I usually have a pretty bad diet but I never gain anything. If I didn't do all that walking chances are I would.

Old 03-12-2014, 09:31 PM

41,951 posts, read 75,160,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Wrong.

You don't have to walk marathons. You have to be consistent, and you have to challenge yourself with speed and distance.

Is 80-90 miles a month enough for you?

Quote:
I've found that to be the opposite. The treadmill controls your stride and speed, increasing the likelihood for discomfort and injury. I'd recommend anyone with joint issues to walk on a level indoor or outdoor track with a cushioned surface. Old-fashioned cinder tracks are easier on the joints, too.

Old 03-13-2014, 01:31 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,814,359 times
You can walk to the moon and back, fast walk, walk uphill, walk backwards - but if you are not operating at a calorie deficit you are not going to lose any weight. In other words you cannot out walk a bad diet.

Old 03-13-2014, 01:40 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,045,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
You can walk to the moon and back, fast walk, walk uphill, walk backwards - but if you are not operating at a calorie deficit you are not going to lose any weight. In other words you cannot out walk a bad diet.
Lucky - I don't think anyone is disagreeing with you. Walking or any vigorous exercise should be part of a weight loss program that includes a healthy, reduced calorie diet.

Old 03-13-2014, 01:48 PM

2,079 posts, read 3,207,614 times
lol

old people consider walking real exercise.

if its working for you, then great.

most of the time(or so ive heard) it is diet. people change their diet and then jump on the bandwagon and claim that walking has contributed to their weight loss of x number of pounds. yeah, walking might help a tiny bit, but it is only 30% of the equation, well more like 5-10%. people walk every day. walking is an essential means of short range transportation for most people. why would you do it for no reason? at least running and cycling is more fun and requires a considerable degree of exertion.

people keep saying it is 70% diet 30% exercise. lately ive been hearing 80-20 or 85-15. it used to be 60-40. wtf??? such an arbitrary ratio considering everybody has different rates of metabolism.

by next year, the ratio will be 95-5. eventually, everyone will be saying that you dont even need to lift a finger at this rate.

Old 03-13-2014, 02:07 PM

7,677 posts, read 5,524,010 times
I bought a Fitbit (fancy pedometer which uploads results to my account at the company's website) in January. I love it. It really has motivated me to walk more. I do a minimum of 10,000 steps daily and that would have been more if the winter hadn't been so frigid here (-40 degree temperatures here with the windchill), keeping me inside.

For those with knee issues, I suggest a pedal exerciser to supplement regular walking and other exercise. In order for the "steps" to record on my Fitbit as I cycle, I put the Fitbit in my sock. I cycle 2-3 hours a day, sitting on the couch, while I'm watching TV. The pedal exerciser can also be placed under a desk.

You can see what pedal exercisers look like here: Amazon.com: pedal exerciser

Old 03-13-2014, 03:36 PM

107 posts, read 558,708 times
Use walking as the method to come somewhere and you will not experience it as a loss of time. Then you may lose some weight as a side effect.

I walk a lot every day and walk briskly but I don't think I lose any weight this way. I need to eat less and walk, then I lose weight.

If you have 130 lbs and you walk with a moderate pace (3 mph), you lose 195 Calories per hour, according to this table.

You can easily ruin the weight-losing effect of one-hour walking by consuming:
- one small chocolate bar (160 Cal)
- a 12 oz can of cola (140 Cal)
- a 65 g slice of bread (~180 Cal)

Try to stop eating/drinking things you don't need to. For me, the easiest way is to avoid sugary drinks and dairy products. Anyway, just think what you can stop eating without much suffering.

Old 03-17-2014, 09:48 PM

9 posts, read 9,965 times
As far as your knees are concerned, walking is one of the great ways to lose weight. You have many other ways too! You can do floor workouts! Such as: V-ups, crunches, super mans, leg lifts, etc. If you don't know any of those you can look them up! But changing up your routine will help you blast the weight away. Fun things you can do to lose weight is dancing! Also keeping a fun and positive mind set will help a lot!

Hope this helps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss