Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2014, 04:33 AM

1,646 posts, read 3,487,681 times

Advertisements

The only sport I usually do is walking, because it is the easier one and also because I have knee problems (Chondromalacia patellae aka CMP) and it is the most "healthy" way to move my body for me in this moment.

The thing is, I use music and the app endomondo sport tracker while walking to make it "funnier" but sometimes I wonder if I am not wasting my time, because in this case I's better stop doing it.

I am not on diet right now but I am planning it, my diet is more or less healthy, I don't usually eat junk food or fried stuff, I fry with small quantity of olive oil and never with butter. My diet can be called Mediterranean.

My height is 160cm and weight 65,6kg. = 5,3tall and 124,56 pounds. I want to lose more or less 6 kgs.

Is walking a good way to lose weight and burn fats?? I want to lose volume especially under waist, hips and legs.

thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2014, 07:51 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,572 posts, read 81,167,557 times
When I started walking 3 miles a day (after switching from a carpool to a bus commute) I lost 10 lbs within about the first two months. Then I leveled off.
My doctor was pleased at the loss but then told me that after reaching that
level I would have to increase the walking to lose any more. During nice weather (3-4 months here) I walk more on evenings and weekends, but it only drops me another 3-4 lbs. Walking is good exercise for you and will drop some weight but you have to keep at it. I use the App MapMyWalk. You might find that bicycling is better for your knees, unless you can find a long flat area to walk. We are lucky to have a 10 mile mostly paved trail along a lake.

Old 03-01-2014, 09:08 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,379,197 times
In one month of walking a minimum of 45 minutes 5 days a week.
Sometimes 6 days for 55 mins, understand...I don't know about pounds...
But a male co worker, behind me, said, "Whoa, lookin' good"
And I walked around a pool with female co workers and their guys in confidence.
I would NOT have a couple months earlier!

One month!

Old 03-01-2014, 09:37 AM

10,363 posts, read 20,797,076 times
When I went on my RTW trip a few years ago, I dropped 15 lbs almost right away from walking a lot more than I had been and no other changes to diet. Since I still had about 30 lbs to lose at that point, I was disappointed that it wasn't more. At that point I was walking at least an hour a day, usually much more, and some days was climbing mountains--climbed several in Oz, Mt. Sinai in Egypt, and Mt. Olympus in Greece. So I had fun and got in great shape but I don't think just walking will solve your weight loss goals and esp when you don't have that much left to lose. Hard to say though b/c I'm insulin resistant and I'm sure that makes a big difference.

Old 03-04-2014, 12:04 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
For most people, no. But it is good for your mental health. You'll likely need to up the intensity soon enough.

Old 03-04-2014, 04:11 AM

13 posts, read 20,727 times
Walking may be the most popular form of exercise, but that doesn’t stop it from getting a little boring. Challenge your workout with new ideas. Also try and limit processed foods. You can also start yoga to lose weight and burn fats. Yoga practices burn fewer calories than traditional exercise.

Old 03-04-2014, 05:40 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,792,188 times
Walking is good for everyone.

That really stacked guy that works legs, he burns a whole lot of cals moving those tree trunks.

That overweight person, same deal, and they'll be building muscle mass from moving the weight.

The skinny person, still getting the heart rate elevated (much higher than sitting on the couch), and encouraging venous return of the fluid in your legs.

Is walking a good work out, no.

Is it good excerise, yes. Especially if there is some grade (slope) to your path.

Old 03-06-2014, 01:01 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,960,371 times
I'm curious about your reasons for wanting to lose weight. You don't sound like you're the least bit overweight. Anyway, although walking is definitely better than remaining sedentary, it's not a good workout. To burn fat effectively, you need to sweat and get your heart rate up. I run 5 days a week 2.5-3 miles. I love it because it's fun and distracting. When I got a stress fracture in my thigh, my orthopod prescribed an exercise bike. It's a way to really burn fat and calories with no impact on joints. Another great no impact exercise is swimming.

Old 03-06-2014, 01:10 PM

12,970 posts, read 9,654,415 times
You can lose weight by walking but you have to be consistent at it. You should try to do at least 4 to 5 hours a week and try to eat healthy. It worked for me.

Old 03-06-2014, 01:22 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,819,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
You can lose weight by walking but you have to be consistent at it. You should try to do at least 4 to 5 hours a week and try to eat healthy. It worked for me.
You can only lose weight by walking you are keeping your calories at a deficit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss