Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 08:13 AM

638 posts, read 992,611 times

Advertisements

Is juicing using a juicer really that beneficial? Can't you get the same nutrients and benefits from just eating fresh fruit and vegetables? Also....doesn't juicing lose the fiber benefit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2014, 08:21 AM

395 posts, read 545,993 times
I don't know about losing fiber, but it does just seem simpler to eat the fruit and vegetables. By the time you do all the juicing then cleaning of the juicer, drinking your vitamins seems no more convenient than just eating them.

Old 03-13-2014, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie77 View Post
I don't know about losing fiber, but it does just seem simpler to eat the fruit and vegetables. By the time you do all the juicing then cleaning of the juicer, drinking your vitamins seems no more convenient than just eating them.
I am inclined to agree. I bought an expensive juicer and have been trying it,but don't know if it's worth it. I've been thinking about returning it if no one can convince me that it's worth it.

Old 03-13-2014, 08:31 AM

395 posts, read 545,993 times
I got one five years ago, got sick of cleaning it, and it has sat on the shelf ever since.

Old 03-13-2014, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie77 View Post
I got one five years ago, got sick of cleaning it, and it has sat on the shelf ever since.
Fortunately,I got mine at a place where you can return it no matter how long you've had it as long as you have the receipt.

Old 03-13-2014, 05:05 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,422,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lover of Animals View Post
Is juicing using a juicer really that beneficial? Can't you get the same nutrients and benefits from just eating fresh fruit and vegetables? Also....doesn't juicing lose the fiber benefit?
Here's the major premise... by separating the juice from the indigestible cellulose matrix, you can take in concentrated nutrition.

As an example, I simply could not start my day by eating a pound of raw carrots every morning. But I can easily juice a pound of carrots into a tasty glass full and get all the vitamins and nutrition, minus the 3/4 pound of what is essentially leftover "damp sawdust" that's just going to pass through my digestive system unchanged in any case.

So that's the premise. Get the benefit of eating lots of fresh produce without actually having to eat all that.

On the downside, a lot of people drift towards juices that aren't necessarily great for you, but which taste good because they contain a lot of sugar, versus juices that have proper nutrition balance, but may not taste wonderful, especially green leafy vegetables like kale and spinach. And if you are not using juicing as a nutritional supplement, but use it instead of eating properly, you can actually get out of balance. I had a roommate once whose skin turned orange from drinking too much carrot juice, for example. I doubt anyone could ever reach that level of overdose eating whole carrots.

Old 03-13-2014, 05:15 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,927,812 times
Yes you lose the fiber benefits if you juice. If you eat a lettuce leaf you don't poop out a leaf. Your body actually has to work more to break it down from larger biomass than if you were to chop it up into a liquid. The work that has to be done and that "damp sawdust" is what cleanses your colon and can help prevent colon cancer.

Old 03-13-2014, 05:36 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,317,542 times
Your body needs that "damp sawdust". Otherwise, you'll plug up your colon with something akin to cement.

Old 03-13-2014, 05:38 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,317,542 times
I much prefer to make fruit and vegetable smoothies. All the nutrition, none of the waste.

Old 03-13-2014, 07:38 PM

4,885 posts, read 7,284,305 times
I had a friend who started juicing. She was amazed by her weight loss and how "healthy" she was becoming. Sadly, she found out 6 weeks into juicing that she had ovarian cancer, which was the real cause of her weight loss. She only lived 7 weeks after her initial diagnosis. Be careful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss