Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2014, 09:19 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,628,186 times

Advertisements

You have a kidney stone and bowel inflammation. No wonder you can't eat without pain. Good luck with the plane ride - but if I had a kidney stone and was in pain every hour and couldn't eat without "twisting" pain, and a 6-week menstrual cycle (have you been tested for endometriosis?), I'd tell my mother in law she can live or die without me, I'm staying as close to the hospital nearest my home as possible.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2014, 09:55 AM

368 posts, read 925,405 times
Hi AnonChick, I had an endometrial biopsy which came back negative as did my PAP and biopsy on a polyp on my cervix. ALl negative, blood tests clean... odd that no one has tested my urine though. I thought that would reveal information as well such as an unusual amount of proteins. Hmmm.

I'm off hormones this week and the bleeding is less but still a daily occurrence. I'm considering not resuming the pill next week and just stopping hormones for awhile. I feel more like myself without them.

My husband and good friend think I might have an overgrowth of bacteria in my gut due to too many probiotics so I'm taking a long break to see if things smooth out. I still feel some pressure in my stomach today but no bloating. I took a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar last night out of desperation and I felt immediate relief. I'm carrying a lot of excess water and drinking water isn't getting rid of it that quickly.

Old 01-09-2015, 08:38 AM

633 posts, read 1,942,892 times
Default Beef Jerky vs Moriga powder

I tried to post just the tables for these two but the formatting was all over the place, so all I can do is post the links for the nutritional breakdown. Sorry the moringa site is a retail url but it has a good listing.

I think it will be well worth your research time.

Moringa
Moringa leaves nutrition | Buy Moringa Leaf Powder

Beef Jerky
meat-protein chart | Nutrient chart | Vitamins and minerals in common meats and proteins

Old 01-09-2015, 10:15 AM

3,730 posts, read 5,716,087 times
Kid, in two weeks, you could be DEAD. And the advice you're getting right now, from "experts" at the gym, could be what finishes you off.

The people at your gym are probably not the brightest bulbs in the chandelier. The lingo and "analysis" they're throwing at you sounds pretty iffy and faddish, to me. A diet that is seventy five percent fat & protein is EXTREME. On a diet like that, you should be monitored continually by a physician.

And why is your body going haywire with all these sensitivities? It would not hurt, at this point, to eliminate enzyme detergents, artificial fragrances (particularly air fresheners), and pesticides from your home. Any or all of those could be interfering with your body's natural self-regulation.

Plenty of people are allergic to Avocado, and so maybe you've got a good instinct in that regard. And nuts are another class of foods which people frequently cannot tolerate.

Most of the better, safer things that would keep you going during the day are going to be carbohydrates. - complex carbohydrates. Apples, celery, oranges... all these are good snacks. Apples and oranges naturally help keep your blood sugar on an even keel. And celery is naturally anti-inflammatory.

Where I'm from, the old wisdom was that "a big-ol' mess of greens" was what was needed to sort-out problems of the digestive system. There may be some truth to that. This time of year, medicinal greens are going to be less easy to find. But disinfecting a bunch of parsley (wash in a vinegar and salt solution), and using that as the base for a chopped salad, would not be a bad thing. Me... I'd prepare the parsley, and eat it plain, as a medicine.

Steaming Swiss Chard is a good idea (I used to roll-up steamed chard leaves, and take them to work, as snacks.). I also like Blanched Broccoli en Vinaigrette (all these greens should be accompanied by a bit of olive oil).

The fact that the vinegar gave you instant relief should tell you something. And as for your yen for lemonade... YES!!! Just sweeten it with Stevia (the unadulterated kind, from a nonprofit health food co-op). Or learn to like unsweetened Lemon Water. My friends from aristocratic Louisiana families had matriarchs who never drank water without a bit of lemon. Apparently, it worked for them, and scientists are just-now beginning to understand why.

Grapefruit, peeled and eaten like an orange, is a good snack, and very low on the Glycemic Index. When I'm on the road, I love canned Red Beans, with a bit of olive oil. I travel with a collander, and rinse them, add S&P and olive oil, and have a high-fibre, high-protein food that needs no cooking (at 69 Cents a can!). A can of Red Beans, a couple of grapefruits, a couple of lemons or limes, and that's all the food I need, most days when I'm driving cross-country, checking on our properties. Something else I've learned is that a bottle of V-8 really picks me up, and helps me sleep better in hotels (all the Lycopene, probably). So, even if I'm at a motel in the middle of nowhere - nowhere near a juice bar - I have that resource, at the nearest grocery store.

But speaking of juice bars... Fresh Carrot juice may be helpful, in dealing with whatever's causing problems in your gut.

As for High-protein snacks you can eat at work (but not soy, or chicken, or beef...), maybe canned tuna? That's what bodybuilders do. Or, you could prepare salmon... or take (depending on your tastes) canned sardines. Then again, why not prepare some herbed scrambled eggs?

Berries are not in season right now. But deeply-colored berries are highly medicinal. Pomegranates DO seem to be in-season (I think I saw them in a grocery in Mississippi, on-special for a Dollar each). Pomegranates count as berries. Prices on Blood Oranges are good, too, right now. Blood oranges are deeply-pigmented, and so I'd count those as berries, too.

The gist is that I think that, right now, you need the medicinal value offered by deeply-colored fruits and vegetables (and fresh herbs, if possible...), more than you need to worry about "going low-carb".

Here's my favorite resource, for information about which foods are healthiest: The World's Healthiest Foods

Last edited by GrandviewGloria; 01-09-2015 at 10:43 AM..

Old 01-09-2015, 10:32 AM

4,522 posts, read 5,319,380 times
GrandviewGloria's post above is outstanding!! I havent gone back to read the OP, but her post is just good common sense knowledge that everyone should know.

Old 01-09-2015, 10:41 AM

28,225 posts, read 36,694,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
Hard boiled eggs or sneak in some coconut oil into a greens smoothie. I just tried making a chia pudding that may need a little tweaking. I combined some coconut milk and some chia seeds and let it sit in the fridge for a few hours. The seeds expand and turn into something that looks like pudding. Great source of good fats and filling at the same time. Added a touch of honey and cinnamon to my first batch, but will try with fresh fruit on the next batch.
I like to add shredded coconut to my chia pudding! Or other nuts. Also vanilla extract and a touch of salt balances the flavor.

Old 01-09-2015, 11:02 AM

515 posts, read 1,000,258 times
40% fat and 35% protein is extreme? How so?

Old 01-09-2015, 12:59 PM

479 posts, read 2,215,490 times
Cashews or macadamia nuts
string cheese
Lunch meat (peperoni is my favorite)
Lunch meat rolled up with cheese inside
Celery with sunflowe butter (if you are allergic to peanuts)
Carrots with Ranch
Whey protien shake with water, ice, cream and sunflower butter
Sugar free jello
A little bit of cream mixed with a diet soda (rootbeer, orange or dr. Pepper are my favorites)
Coffee!!
Left over meals

Old 01-09-2015, 08:02 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,175,068 times
Cliff bars are LOADED with carbs, if it must be a bar, get a Quest bar. Otherwise, sting cheese (comes individually wrapped, nuts and seeds, meat roll ups - slice of good quality deli meat and cheese rolled up, coconut oil (it is good by itself, I eat it that way sometimes), olives, jerky, protein powder in water or coconut milk.

It is not hard, it's just new so takes some getting used to.

Old 01-09-2015, 08:07 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,175,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
I just tried making a chia pudding that may need a little tweaking. I combined some coconut milk and some chia seeds and let it sit in the fridge for a few hours. The seeds expand and turn into something that looks like pudding. Great source of good fats and filling at the same time. Added a touch of honey and cinnamon to my first batch, but will try with fresh fruit on the next batch.
It's so yummy with banana's but they're too carby for me. Dr. Andrew Weil is part owner of a great restaurant "True food Kitchen" and they make it the best I've ever had it! See if you can find their recipe online - they also put toasted coconut in it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss