Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 04:58 AM

283 posts, read 385,294 times

Advertisements

You guys try it. I just couldn't do it. I changed my mind on intermittent fasting and now skip breakfast with a bulletproof coffee every morning, lost 20 lbs without losing any real muscle. This would kill me.

Fasting for three days can regenerate entire immune system, study finds - Telegraph
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2014, 07:56 AM

2,183 posts, read 2,636,607 times
I might be able to do it(24 hours isn't hard and I've read that hunger gets suppressed pretty good in longer fasts) I'm not gunna bother though. I haven't had so much as the sniffles in 3-4 years, obviously short term fasting and a good diet/exercise program is working.

Pretty awesome discovery nonetheless, especially for cancer patients like the article said.

Old 06-11-2014, 05:55 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,788,709 times
I have cancer and I'm going to try it. Have been doing some mini fasts (skipping breakfast and lunch) for the last several months anyway and despite going all holistic, I've had no tumor growth at all. I'm curious to see what this does. I'm also going to send it to my holistic doc, though something tells me he's already seen it. If y'all are curious, I'd be glad to check back and let you know--will start tomorrow.

I got so fascinated with this today that I found another article that relates to this and is quite interesting: How Fasting Fights Cancer | Mark's Daily Apple

Old 06-11-2014, 05:58 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,592,094 times
I'm going to say this seems like junk science. The article didn't link the study. Who funded it? Who did the study? Were the comments from USC taken out of context?

Old 06-11-2014, 08:33 PM

Spaz, maybe you will like this link better: Fasting triggers stem cell regeneration of damaged, old immune system -- ScienceDaily

Or a list of research papers by Dr. Longo: valter longo - PubMed - NCBI
There are 75 of them.

Old 06-12-2014, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
I have cancer and I'm going to try it. Have been doing some mini fasts (skipping breakfast and lunch) for the last several months anyway and despite going all holistic, I've had no tumor growth at all. I'm curious to see what this does. I'm also going to send it to my holistic doc, though something tells me he's already seen it. If y'all are curious, I'd be glad to check back and let you know--will start tomorrow.

I got so fascinated with this today that I found another article that relates to this and is quite interesting: How Fasting Fights Cancer | Mark's Daily Apple
I really hope this works for you, or at least helps in starving the tumorous growth. Keep hydrated and your mind off food. God bless!

Old 06-12-2014, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saigafreak View Post
I really hope this works for you, or at least helps in starving the tumorous growth. Keep hydrated and your mind off food. God bless!
Thank you Saiga, so far so good since I got my dx back in November. I went keto the day after Christmas and have lost 30 lbs with about 20 more to go, so I still have plenty of cushion. The good thing about the keto though is that it completely breaks the addiction to food so I'm glad you brought this up.

For anyone who wants to try this, they need to be fat-adapted, as opposed to carb-adapted. If missing a meal makes you terribly miserable, then you'd have some work to do before fasting would be a good idea and that would mean getting on a low carb diet until the craving for food practically disappears. I know that sounds too good to be true to those who've never experienced it, but it truly is possible, and the feeling of freedom that it gives you is immense. It's so worth it to not have to fight with yourself when you're hungry and walking by a vending machine, or when a co-worker brings in your favorite donuts. I'm practically impervious to this type of stress these days and the few tastes I've had haven't even been that good. I can taste the sweetness in veggies and they're starting to taste pretty good.

So, I've been in this mode for quite awhile and was so eager to try this that I started today but only going for a 2 day, unless I'm feeling unusually well, in which case I'll go one more day. Was thinking about doing it anyway, but this was added impetus.

Oh, another fascinating fact that I discovered in looking into this is that it also regenerates neutrophils, which are a major part of your immune system. The little guys are short lived anyway but after fasting you have a whole new set. But here's the interesting part--when N's have a "choice" between eating bacteria or sugar, they will eat the sugar. Just like people, eh? I'd heard that eating too much sugar is not good for your immune system and I guess that's a big part of why.

Old 06-12-2014, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Thank you Saiga, so far so good since I got my dx back in November. I went keto the day after Christmas and have lost 30 lbs with about 20 more to go, so I still have plenty of cushion. The good thing about the keto though is that it completely breaks the addiction to food so I'm glad you brought this up.

For anyone who wants to try this, they need to be fat-adapted, as opposed to carb-adapted. If missing a meal makes you terribly miserable, then you'd have some work to do before fasting would be a good idea and that would mean getting on a low carb diet until the craving for food practically disappears. I know that sounds too good to be true to those who've never experienced it, but it truly is possible, and the feeling of freedom that it gives you is immense. It's so worth it to not have to fight with yourself when you're hungry and walking by a vending machine, or when a co-worker brings in your favorite donuts. I'm practically impervious to this type of stress these days and the few tastes I've had haven't even been that good. I can taste the sweetness in veggies and they're starting to taste pretty good.

So, I've been in this mode for quite awhile and was so eager to try this that I started today but only going for a 2 day, unless I'm feeling unusually well, in which case I'll go one more day. Was thinking about doing it anyway, but this was added impetus.

Oh, another fascinating fact that I discovered in looking into this is that it also regenerates neutrophils, which are a major part of your immune system. The little guys are short lived anyway but after fasting you have a whole new set. But here's the interesting part--when N's have a "choice" between eating bacteria or sugar, they will eat the sugar. Just like people, eh? I'd heard that eating too much sugar is not good for your immune system and I guess that's a big part of why.
Dr. Westman @ Duke has been working on ketogenic diets to destroy obesity and for cancer prevention. He takes patients but I only have about 10 lbs left to go max and I just don't qualify as a good patient for his obesity clinic. I've gone into a milder form of ketosis the past few days and it feels pretty good once you're in the vibe. A slice of sprouted wheat Ezekiel bread @ 14g carbs may get close to knocking me out but the typical partitioning for me is 8-10% carbs, 30-35% protein and about 60% fat.

Old 06-13-2014, 11:55 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,276,554 times
intermittent fasting is one of the very few alternative medicine ideas that I believe in. It has biological support as well, considering no animal species has access to a constant supply of food and is eating 3 meals a day before modern times... hunter gatherers would have to go days without food especially in cold climates where they are game or fish gathering... the body does adapt to a state of ketosis so it no longer gives the same horrible feeling after awhile.. and it does divert energy that would normally be spent digesting food to other body processes.

Anybody into a paleo style diet should be open to intermittent water fasting because it's just a natural part of our evolution to not eat for a day or two now and then.

Old 06-14-2014, 12:02 AM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
Fasting can be hard on your organs, especially the liver and heart.
Fasting
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss