Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 05:57 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,761,366 times

Advertisements

Great job! It is very inspiring and a testament of how one can make great changes in their life. You should be so proud.
Up your exercise in increments and start doing resistance training - weights, body weight, medicine balls, etc... Once you build up some muscle you will burn calories more efficiently and you can shape your body to some extent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2014, 07:28 AM

2,183 posts, read 2,624,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I'm so jealous, i need to lose 100lbs and it seems an impossible task to accomplish, it makes giving up smoking childs play by comparison.
Congratulations on your success, how are you able to maintain 1400 calories a day? are you on some particular diet? or doing it through sheer willpower.?
1400 calories from whole foods is a lot different then 1400 from processed, calorically dense food. Stick with the former and 1400 won't feel so bad.

Old 06-25-2014, 09:56 AM

503 posts, read 1,447,950 times
That is awesome!! WTG!!

Old 06-27-2014, 10:18 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,606,192 times
Congratulations! That is amazingly awesome.

Old 06-30-2014, 07:25 PM

4,103 posts, read 6,999,312 times
Good job!!!

Old 07-01-2014, 07:54 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,589,513 times
Excellent! Well done!

Old 07-01-2014, 01:42 PM

36,499 posts, read 53,783,841 times
I'm SO IMPRESSED. Did your doctor fuss at you for losing so fast? Most medical folks tell us to go for no more than 2 lbs a week. Do they do that to keep us from getting discouraged?

If I thought I could lose 25 lbs in one month I would start today but I'm skeptical as I'm older than dirt and it gets really harder as you get older.

Also did you find yourself fixing one meal for you and a different meal for your family? That would be hard. I know the whole family should eat healthy too but sometimes they like yummy casseroles, potatoes and rice.

Did you buy new clothes along the way or decide to wait till you reached your goal until buying a whole new wardrobe?

I use very little if any processed foods and my family is incredibly healthy with perfect BP and weight but my biggest problem is portion control. I don't want to put a "little dab" of something in the fridge so I stuff my face. And sometimes I taste way too much while preparing the meal.

Again I'm really impressed. Congratulations and you were smart to do it before menopause.

Old 07-02-2014, 10:06 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,725,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I'm SO IMPRESSED. Did your doctor fuss at you for losing so fast? Most medical folks tell us to go for no more than 2 lbs a week. Do they do that to keep us from getting discouraged?

If I thought I could lose 25 lbs in one month I would start today but I'm skeptical as I'm older than dirt and it gets really harder as you get older.

Also did you find yourself fixing one meal for you and a different meal for your family? That would be hard. I know the whole family should eat healthy too but sometimes they like yummy casseroles, potatoes and rice.

Did you buy new clothes along the way or decide to wait till you reached your goal until buying a whole new wardrobe?

I use very little if any processed foods and my family is incredibly healthy with perfect BP and weight but my biggest problem is portion control. I don't want to put a "little dab" of something in the fridge so I stuff my face. And sometimes I taste way too much while preparing the meal.

Again I'm really impressed. Congratulations and you were smart to do it before menopause.
My doctors have been okay with the weight loss. They seem to focus more on my lab results, which have been improving. It's funny but most doctors won't even bring up weight loss unless you mention it first. My endocrinologist is the only doctor I see who will freely discuss weight loss. I think it's easier for a doctor to mention it if you only need to lose 10 or 20 lbs than if you need to lose 200.

At first I was fixing one meal for myself and a different one for my family. There are some meals I can't stand to cook and not eat, so I started avoiding those meals. Pasta and rice are my big issues, so I don't cook them anymore. (We have cauliflower rice instead.) My husband got so constipated that he ended up going to the hospital, because he wouldn't eat veggies and that's a big part of our meals now. He complained to his doctor about the way I cook now, and his doctor said he should start eating the way I eat.

I've had to buy some new clothes already because my old ones wouldn't stay on anymore...pants fall down, shirts hang off my shoulders, dresses drag on the ground when they were ankle-length before. I've given away 5 huge bags of clothes that were too big. I'm just buying clothes at the thrift store now, except for exercise shorts and bras. I have 6 or 7 shirts, two pairs of jeans, a pair of black pants and a black dress. I don't work, so I don't need a huge wardrobe right now.

About portion control and the little dabs of leftovers, I throw out the leftovers now. It's hard to adjust to doing that and I feel guilty, but I know I'm the only one who will end up eating those leftovers.

Old 07-02-2014, 10:25 AM

36,499 posts, read 53,783,841 times
Thank you for answering my questions. When I was a Weight Watchers lecturer 40 years ago I used to stand up in front of my classes and say "Why would you want to pay for this twice? Once to buy it in the first place and then again to WW to get it off?"

But that was before I had kids, stress like I never knew existed , menopause, hysterectomy and mobility issues. Again you are so smart to do this now.

Old 07-03-2014, 12:11 AM

4,374 posts, read 11,176,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
the metformin for diabetes gave me bad diarrhea, which I think helped get the weight loss started. Also, if you eat too many carbs or too much fat in one meal while you're taking metformin, you usually end up getting pretty sick.
Congratulation, that must have been a very hard change to make! I need to lose weight, not too much but I know how hard it can be.

BTW, the time released metformin doesn't cause diarrhea!

I did not know about the metformin making you sick if you eat too much fat or carbs, what do you mean by sick?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss