Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 01:18 AM

818 posts, read 917,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
Oh really.

I'd be nuts if I believed that.

Men who would tell their wives that they're overweight don't do it because they want their wives to be healthy. They do it because of a sexual thing - they like women who look thinner, PERIOD. They want their wives to look thin so they can get more aroused. These same exact men probably don't care a rat's behind what their wives' blood count looks like, or what their gynecologist said. However, they'll fall off their chairs in a restaurant trying to see how much their wives are eating, and making damned sure it's low fat, low cal, low everything. All in the name of sex and arousal.
Now, now , you know better than this ^ being the case all the time. In some cases you are right. but there are plenty of times when the subject of someones weight is brought up because they are truly concerned for the persons health.
The whole reason I started the thread, was not to point out someone is overweight but how to encourage them to make healthy life changes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2014, 06:22 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,018,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuntFishRepeat View Post
Now, now , you know better than this ^ being the case all the time. In some cases you are right. but there are plenty of times when the subject of someones weight is brought up because they are truly concerned for the persons health.
The whole reason I started the thread, was not to point out someone is overweight but how to encourage them to make healthy life changes.

You better be in tip top shape before you suggest to anyone they need to get healthy.

If they have medical conditions (HBP, diabetes, obesity etc..) that they are choosing to ignore there's only just so much you can do.....you cant' force someone to make changes that YOU want them to make...THEY have to make those changes for themselves.

Old 07-06-2014, 08:58 AM

4,565 posts, read 5,417,700 times
Its laughable at how ANGRY some of our posters are here over this thread.

It is ALWAYS the RIGHT THING TO DO to give suggestions to someone who is harming themselves to make changes for the better. ALWAYS!!! ESPECIALLY if it is a loved one, and doubly especially if there are children (kids) in the picture. You don't want a heart breaking scene like this to play out:

Little girl: "Daddy, why did mommy have to die?"
Dad: "She refused to do something about her health and weight so her heart just couldn't handle it"
Little girl: "Im so sad that I don't have a mommy anymore"
Dad: "I know, I just wish she listened to me"
Dad: THINKING - "We will find a new mommy soon"

Its also a joke that someone said "oh they better be in tip top shape themselves....". It doesn't matter. Often, couples who identify they need for both of them to lose weight, get in shape, have greater success because they do it together.

I think people who will get mad are the ones who are just friggin' too lazy to do anything about their fatness. Then, when the person who love(d) them gets fed up with their horrible unhealthy ways and leaves them, they all say "oh, I better join a gym" or something similar. I see a lot of women at the gym who say "Im just out of a relationship so I am trying to lose weight to get myself back in shape". What they really are saying is "I let myself get fat because I was comfortable, now that he left me for a hotter, younger girl, I better try to get rid of this fat so I can find someone again".

Old 07-06-2014, 10:10 AM

7,300 posts, read 6,732,593 times
Quote:
But I made a very good point. Men tell their wives to lose weight, not because they're ever concerned about women's health (or they'd show that concern in multiple other ways). It's never about health. It's always about their sex wants.

Old 07-06-2014, 11:20 AM

1,768 posts, read 1,638,001 times
I'm sure it's been mentioned before, but keep in mind that a good plurality of Americans do not believe that they are overweight. Furthermore, we know from research that they overestimate the amount of exercise they perform and underestimate the number of calories they eat.

In U.S., Majority "Not Overweight," Not Trying to Lose Weight

http://www.ajpmonline.org/article/S0...020-5/fulltext

Given this phenomenon, I suggest that you be upfront w/ other people in telling them that they need to lose weight.

Last edited by tonym9428; 07-06-2014 at 11:48 AM..

Old 07-06-2014, 11:23 AM

14,949 posts, read 12,143,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
Maybe you should eat more salads?

Idk, I just find it rude to even bring it up. Anybody that's over weight knows they're overweight.
Exactly. IMO unless I were the woman's doctor, and discussing her health issues with her, it would not be my place to tell her how she should live...

Old 07-06-2014, 11:28 AM

1,935 posts, read 4,776,621 times
Quote:
Don't tell me "you don't" ! There has to be some way to bring it up and encourage / support , ask them to loose weight and get in shape without hurting their feelings. I know being pushy or rude is no way to go but somebody has had to have hit on the exact combination of timing and words to pull it off
There is no "one size fits all" answer to this question as every woman is different and will react to things differently.

However, be prepared to say it to the wrong woman and get a response that makes you look like you have egg all over your face. If it were me, I might say something like "I am in shape. Round IS a shape."

Old 07-06-2014, 11:43 AM

7,321 posts, read 6,925,052 times
Who is going to be raising your children, when you are down or die of heart decease?

Old 07-07-2014, 01:44 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,018,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
Its laughable at how ANGRY some of our posters are here over this thread.

It is ALWAYS the RIGHT THING TO DO to give suggestions to someone who is harming themselves to make changes for the better. ALWAYS!!! ESPECIALLY if it is a loved one, and doubly especially if there are children (kids) in the picture. You don't want a heart breaking scene like this to play out:

Little girl: "Daddy, why did mommy have to die?"
Dad: "She refused to do something about her health and weight so her heart just couldn't handle it"
Little girl: "Im so sad that I don't have a mommy anymore"
Dad: "I know, I just wish she listened to me"
Dad: THINKING - "We will find a new mommy soon"

Its also a joke that someone said "oh they better be in tip top shape themselves....". It doesn't matter. Often, couples who identify they need for both of them to lose weight, get in shape, have greater success because they do it together.
Oh,
I think people who will get mad are the ones who are just friggin' too lazy to do anything about their fatness. Then, when the person who love(d) them gets fed up with their horrible unhealthy ways and leaves them, they all say "oh, I better join a gym" or something similar. I see a lot of women at the gym who say "Im just out of a relationship so I am trying to lose weight to get myself back in shape". What they really are saying is "I let myself get fat because I was comfortable, now that he left me for a hotter, younger girl, I better try to get rid of this fat so I can find someone again".

It's a choice. It all boils down to whether or not someone wants to change their lifestyle and get healthy or not. No one can force them...no one. It's a personal choice and it's always been a personal choice.

If mommy drops dead of a heart attack because she ignored her health, that's her fault and only her fault.

Old 07-07-2014, 01:59 PM

898 posts, read 937,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeendonuts View Post
Are you in shape?
If not, suggest that you both try to get into shape together. Or say that you would love it if she would participate in the journey with you.

If you are in shape, ask her to join you at the gym. tell her you think it would bring you closer together. Tell her you'd like it if she would join you every other day, and think of it as a date.

Assuming this is a partner or SO.
I think this is great advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss