Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2014, 10:03 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,688,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saigafreak View Post
What do you think of Dr. Westman @ Duke?

What about Dr. Tim Noakes who used to advocate carbs and now advocates fats? Was he paid off in a super secret conspiracy by the meat and egg industry?
Every year, Michael Greger, MD reads thousands of peer-reviewed medical articles on nutrition and health and has yet to support a high fat diet. His research consistently shows that a plant-based diet is best for health.

For anyone who might be interested, and it is well worth it,you can sign up for Dr. Greger's free newsletter at:

NutritionFacts.org | The Latest in Nutrition Related Research

For those who want to continue to consume saturated fat, go ahead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2014, 10:06 AM

283 posts, read 385,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
Every year, Michael Greger, MD reads thousands of peer-reviewed medical articles on nutrition and health and has yet to support a high fat diet. His research consistently shows that a plant-based diet is best for health.

For anyone who might be interested, and it is well worth it,you can sign up for Dr. Greger's free newsletter at:

NutritionFacts.org | The Latest in Nutrition Related Research

For those who want to continue to consume saturated fat, go ahead.
Heck, I even convinced my doctor who used to be more Mediterranean diet oriented that sat fat isn't bad for you. She saw the before and after numbers and pressed me for how I did it. She was floored when I told her that my weight went down and my lipid profile improved doing exactly the opposite of what frauds like Ancel Keys suggested.

Old 07-18-2014, 11:15 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,688,440 times
For anyone who is interested in Dr. Greger's consumer friendly newsletters, know that brief (usually 5 minutes or less) informative, and easy to follow videos such as the following often accompany them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdfHlNXQ9PU

Old 07-24-2014, 05:17 AM

564 posts, read 1,040,536 times
What do people consider to be a "high-fat" diet? My meals are a combination of whole plant and animal-based foods, which I try to buy organic and locally-sourced whenever I can. My lipids are damn near perfect. No inflammatory markers. No signs of any dietary or lifestyle-based ailments or diseases. No other issues that affect many men of my vintage (early 40's), such as ED, GERD, or sore joints.

My fat intake primarily comes from eggs, meats, nuts, cheese, butter, and coconut oil, which would obviously include a decent amount of saturated fats (probably enough to break people like "userid" into a cold sweat ). As my health to date has been fine, why would I limit or change anything? I eat these foods every single day, never concerned about counting or limiting anything. I just prepare, cook, and enjoy my food.

I wonder what my lipid profile would be like if I swapped out the eggs and meat for crackers, bread, and pasta? What if I drank soda or copious amounts of fruit juices instead of water? What if "heart-healthy whole grains", such as breakfast cereals and bagels, comprised most of my intake, as mandated by AHA and other agencies? I know exactly what would happen. A complete reversal of health (I know this; I've been there before).

Fat is delicious. It is satisfying. And it helps us to extract maximum nutritional benefit from our foods while also providing us with chemical reactions needed for functioning. It is definitely NOT to be avoided when wrapped in a grilled pastured steak, a wild salmon fillet, a handful of almonds, or an egg yolk.

Old 07-24-2014, 01:31 PM

515 posts, read 1,004,699 times
People that have any experience in the medical field will always say fat and especially saturated fat is bad because the past several decades have said so. They won't reverse their beliefs or even examine them until the overwhelming majority does so before them.

Also, reversing heart disease has nothing to do with the normal human adult that is just trying to be healthy; fat is good for people and saturated fats are fine for people and has been pointed out several times by looking the the ache, the inuit, the !Kung and the Kitavans. Saturated fat is not inherently bad, please accept this.

Whenever I see nutritional experts pointing out how bad saturated fat and fats are, I think of the story of the American artillery colonel that couldn't figure out why they could only shoot a shell every 30 seconds to the germans 10 seconds. He found out the artillery men waited 20 seconds after firing. When asked why, they responded, "That's what the manual says!" He dug into it and could find no fathomable reason why they had to wait. Finally, he found the answer in a civil war artillery manual:

"After firing the cannon, wait 20 seconds before firing to allow the horses to steady."

No one asks "why" and just goes along with the flow

Old 07-27-2014, 07:36 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,087,251 times
Quote:
Look forward to user_id coming here and discrediting the good Doctor.
Diet book authors making bogus health claims is nothing new....not much to discuss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
And China has the highest diabetes rate in the world:
China's Diabetes Rates Highest In The World
The Chinese didn't just start eating rice, on the other hand over the last few decades they have increased their intake of refined sugar and fatty animal foods.

Old 07-27-2014, 08:04 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,087,251 times
Quote:
That must explain why the high saturated fat eating Inuit experienced heart disease at phenomenal rates for centuries.
The Inuit had very high rates of stroke and had advanced atherosclerosis but their high intake of omega-3 seemed provide some protection from heart attacks.

Its funny that people promoting high saturated fat diets have to point to poorly studied populations or populations that don't exist anymore to support their position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthYorkEd View Post
As my health to date has been fine, why would I limit or change anything?
I've heard the same thing from smokers. You're too young to claim any sort of victory, having advanced heart disease in your early 40's is relatively rare unless you're morbidly obese. The reason why you'd want to change things is due to decades of research.

Around 30% of people that die of heart attacks had normal cholesterol levels so you could have advanced atherosclerosis regardless of your lipid profile.

Quote:
I wonder what my lipid profile would be like if I swapped out the eggs and meat for crackers, bread, and pasta? What if I drank soda or copious amounts of fruit juices instead of water? What if "heart-healthy whole grains", such as breakfast cereals and bagels, comprised most of my intake, as mandated by AHA and other agencies?
Nobody recommends soda and fruit juice over water, nobody recommends that you replace meat with crackers and bread, nobody recommends that most of your calories come from bagels and cereal, etc.....everything you're saying is a strawman. You seem more familiar the bogus claims of diet book authors than what the world's major health organizations actually recommend.

Quote:
Fat is delicious. It is satisfying. And it helps us to extract maximum nutritional benefit from our foods while also providing us with chemical reactions needed for functioning.
Fat is delicious? Do you ever eat a stick of butter by itself? I reckon not....I wonder why? Studies on satiety don't show that high fat foods are the most satiating, rather the opposite, lean meats and high carbohydrate starchy whole foods are found to be the most satiating. Eating a bunch of fat doesn't help you extract "maximum nutritional benefit" from your food and, in fact, eating a lot of fat reduces the nutritional quality of your diet because fats, especially isolated ones, have little nutritional value beyond the fat. For example butter, coconut oil are all mostly devoid o nutrients and lean meats are more nutritious than fatty ones. Nuts, seeds and eggs are some of the few fatty foods that are also nutritious.

Old 07-29-2014, 12:04 AM

88 posts, read 192,258 times
Quote:
He's now a big believer in the idea that sugars and refined carbs are the problem, not saturated fats.
Yes, sugar and carbs are the main problem for your body, as these may combines and provide some signal to store fat in your body.
Hence, in saturated fats you don't have to limit healthy fat in your diet. What you have to limit are trans fats and sugars.

Old 07-29-2014, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
...nobody recommends that you replace meat with crackers and bread, nobody recommends that most of your calories come from bagels and cereal, etc...
For decades, the USA Food Guide (or Food Pyramid) recommended that grain-based foods be the foundation of a healthy diet:

Old 07-29-2014, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Fat is delicious? Do you ever eat a stick of butter by itself? I reckon not....I wonder why?
Do you eat a loaf of bread in one sitting? No? I wonder why? What is your point? There is a difference between eating a "stick of butter" and consuming the fat in a handful of fatty nuts, or the marbling in a fine piece of steak. Fat is delicious and adds flavour. That is why food manufacturers scrambled to replace it when they were trying to reduce the fat content of their processed products.

Quote:
Eating a bunch of fat doesn't help you extract "maximum nutritional benefit" from your food and, in fact, eating a lot of fat reduces the nutritional quality of your diet because fats, especially isolated ones, have little nutritional value beyond the fat.
Read up on the fat solubility of certain vitamins, such as A, D, E and K. And again, you are arguing against eating a "bunch of fat", as if someone is sitting down with a jar of lard and digging into it with a spoon. No one is suggesting that. Fat is an essential nutrient and is naturally contained in a variety of natural and whole foods (some of which you mentioned -- nuts, seeds, and eggs). The nutrition in those foods is better extracted and has improved bio-availability with the natural fats they contain. That is what we are talking about when we talk about the benefits of dietary fat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss