Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 01:07 PM

126 posts, read 195,850 times

Advertisements

I have done some research on Shakelology and some on Isalean.
Has anyone tried these two? I am not looking to spend a ton of money on these either.
However, I am looking for quality and affordability.
I eat pretty healthy otherwise. I do best on a no sugar, low carb meal plan.
I work out 4-5 times a week. I am looking for a shake to replace a meal that will taste good, be good for me and will not break the bank.
I should add.. I am a woman in late 30's trying to lose a few pounds, not much and also get toned. I have heard that protein shakes are not good meal replacements..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2014, 05:01 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,763,721 times
Protein shakes are not meal replacements. They're not good or bad ones. They're not ones at all. They're meant to provide -additional- protein, not to replace whatever you're eating.

Shakeology has sugar in it, so that's not an option for you, though it supposedly contains all the nutrition you'd need in a single meal. They have a warning on their website reminding people that Shakeology is intended as a supplement to a healthy diet and not as a replacement for one.

Isalean has almost twice the carbs as Shakeology, and almost twice as much sugar. It is advertised as a meal replacement. However, it's only 240 calories. If you had one of those instead of lunch, you should be eating a damned hefty breakfast and dinner.

What kind of workout are you doing 4-5x per week? What kind of foods are you eating every day? Why not just eat better and exercise more? Diet won't tone you at all - you can be skinny and still have lousy muscletone. Toning comes from efficient exercise. If all you need is to lose a few pounds, and get toned, then I'd suggest you just do more cardio and weight training. Maybe eat smaller portions of your biggest meal of the day, or skip a snack. It really depends on what you're eating, how much of it you're eating, and what kind of exercise you're doing, and how much of it.

Old 07-30-2014, 06:22 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,812,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorious1018 View Post
Has anyone tried these two? I am not looking to spend a ton of money on these either.
I work out 4-5 times a week. I am looking for a shake to replace a meal that will taste good, be good for me and will not break the bank.
I should add.. I am a woman in late 30's trying to lose a few pounds, not much and also get toned. I have heard that protein shakes are not good meal replacements..
Skip the shakes. Eat real food. Watch portion size and if you are not already doing resistance/weight training start. if you are already doing it then up the weights/intensity.

Old 07-30-2014, 07:24 PM

4,866 posts, read 5,676,147 times
I drink the Atkins shakes but also eat something on the side like a salad with chicken or steak. I don't use shakes as meal replacements. Just drinking one and eating some food fills me up like you wouldn't believe...which makes me eat less in the evening.

Old 07-31-2014, 11:33 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,415,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Protein shakes are not meal replacements. They're not good or bad ones. They're not ones at all. They're meant to provide -additional- protein, not to replace whatever you're eating.
This. However, if you insist that you need to sip and not chew your meal, then make your own smoothies with vegetables, fruit, and plain Greek yogurt for protein. That's a hell of a lot better for you than some powder mix food-like product.

Old 07-31-2014, 03:16 PM

1,168 posts, read 1,243,963 times
The only shake that comes close to actual meals is putting your meals in a mixer. Sorry, but real life is no Disney where you can drink magical potions

Old 07-31-2014, 05:08 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,042,913 times
Fresh, real food (especially big salads with lots of fiber and protein) adds the bulk and staying power that makes you feel full and satisfied - we are meant to chew our meals not drink them. Drinking processed stuff you buy at the store - that is not real food and it is digested very quickly. Eat real food.

Old 08-01-2014, 10:32 AM

3,308 posts, read 4,556,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorious1018 View Post
Then why are you wanting them?

Old 08-02-2014, 07:11 PM

2,464 posts, read 6,466,351 times
OP - if you want an inexpensive meal replacement shakes you could always make your own. Perhaps a combination of the following w/ unsweetened almond milk (or whatever liquid base, this is just what I use, 30 calories per serving) depending on what you put in it or what flavor you feel like that day:

1.) Grounded flaxseed

2.) Grounded oats (you can make your own btw. Just get the oats and grind them in a coffee grinder and voila). I use it for the cholesterol lowering properties, soluble fiber, and biotin level).

3.) Peanut butter powder (which has a lower fat content and about 5 g of protein per serving)

The above three are listed under "World's Healthiest Food" website that give you the nutritional breakdown of each. If you're curious.

The World's Healthiest Foods

4.) As purely an option which you can add to the above - A scoop of a vitamin/mineral powder to add essential nutrients that you desire (I use either Lean1 or Spirutein or a supplemented protein powder that has a good RDA of Vitamins and mineral). Lean1 and Spirutein are not cheap btw. I use it mainly to round out the nutritional value of my shake without adding too much in calories. I do not use these by themselves or in their full serving. I used to have vitamin deficiencies (and iron) so I feel a powdered supplement is a decent preventative measure for me. Might be for you as well, who knows. However, a good salad is a much better way to get vits/mins. I eat a fresh kale/brussel sprout salad mix (or Wild Aurgula) from Trader Joes w/ artichoke hears and heart of palm along with a protein and spicy peanut dressing everyday.

Get one of those little milk frothers and it will be very quick to prepare and easy to clean any powdered drink you choose. I have one of these:

Amazon.com: Aerolatte Milk Frother, Satin: Electric Milk Frothers: Kitchen & Dining

I personally don't use protein shakes as meal replacement because I don't think it's intended for that purpose. There's tends to not be enough fiber or vitamin or minerals for me. I don't do smoothies as I'd rather just eat a salad or chomp on the fruit than make a mess with my blender. Plus, smoothies are hard for me to control the calorie content.

Ideally you should eat whole foods with emphasis on vegetables, lean proteins, and nutrient dense foods. But as a busy person myself I know how it is to just want something quick and filling in under 2 minutes flat. There's a time and a place for powered options.

Old 08-02-2014, 09:19 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,763,721 times
Protein shakes aren't meal replacements, mommabear. The OP is trying to -replace- food with shakes, for some unfathomable reason. Your suggestion is great for someone who doesn't mind going through the trouble of making what they can buy and not have to worry about cleaning the blender, buying individual ingredients in quantities bigger than necessary to accommodate the initial tasting to make sure they even like what they made, measuring and configuring and tweaking recipes, and hoping they don't end up throwing all those ingredients away because they don't like the taste.

Plus, it's lacking in essential nutrients such as vitamin C, vitamin E, vitamin B12. If you're trying to replace meals, you need to have actual meal replacements. If you're going to buy all the ingredients that would normally be used to make actual food, you might as well just eat actual food (such as flax-seed bread and peanutbutter sandwich, with a glass of milk instead of whey powder).

This person isn't trying to supplement to make up for a vitamin deficiency. The OP says in the OP that she is healthy, and only wants to lose a few pounds total, and tone up. That doesn't call for a meal replacement shake. It calls for a couple less snacks this week, and strength training.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss