Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 09:58 AM

577 posts, read 900,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
Snacks aren't really supposed to be "filling". Snacks that "fill you up" will almost always lead to a "filling out of the waistline" or "Inability to lose weight". Since this IS the "Diet and Weight Loss" forum, here are some healthy easy snack options:

Trader Joes unsalted raw trail mix
Cottage cheese
Raw broccoli
CarbMaster yogurt (Ralphs usually sells 10 for $5.00; or is it 5 for $10.00?)
Raw almonds
Boiled sweet potato
Celery dipped in almond butter
1/2 almond butter and jelly sandwich (eat other half for snack later in afternoon)
I agree that snacks are minefield. I would instead focus on making your actual meals more filling and avoid snacking altogether.

Any kind of flavored yogurt is going to be loaded with sugar so I would avoid those.

Nuts are very high in calories- a generous handful has as many calories as a small meal- and they are not as filling as other proteins, like meat.

Veggies will give you something to chew on but are basically water so you'll still be hungry (unless you're confusing hunger with "the urge to eat").

And starches will just make you hungrier.

edit:I just thought of something! hard boiled eggs. Very low calorie, high protein, and extremely filling. Eggs are up there with meat in terms of suppressing hunger. They are safe at room temp for 2 hours, if you bring them in a lunch container with an ice pack they will be fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2014, 09:45 AM

50,723 posts, read 36,424,154 times
I like to bring unshelled sunflower seeds to work, especially on days when I'll be doing a lot of paperwork/sitting, because that's when I want to eat the most. I like that you have to "work" for them and that it takes forever to eat just 1/2 cup because of the shells, so it keeps me busy and munching for a long time for not that many calories. The only drawback is I make a bit of a mess no matter how careful I am and end up having to pick up shell fragments from all over the desk and floor, lol.

I also keep a protein shake in the fridge, as that fills me up. Also hard boiled eggs (I toss out about 3/4 of the yolk, but leave a piece in each half for extra flavor. I find protein-based snacks ate the best in filling me up.

Also, if you don't already know about PB2 Bell Plantation - Home page it's powdered peanut butter, you mix it with water and it's only 45 calories for 2 tablespoons (as opposed to 200 cals for regular peanut butter). I bring it with celery or sometimes apple slices. Don't mix it in advance though, it's better to mix it when you're ready to eat it. Of course it doesn't taste quite as yummy as regular PB, but it's a perfectly acceptable substitute IMO.

Old 08-31-2014, 06:45 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,244,146 times
Snacks aren't really good or bad either way. It just means that your main meal was lacking in nutrients and/or energy and you need to compensate. This means that it really depends on what you ate for breakfast/lunch/dinner what the right snacks are. That means that if you had a mainly vegetable meal then it is not advisable to snack on more vegetables, or if you had a lot of bread then snacking on biscuits isn't going to do much good either, etc.

So my advice is to make your main meals more balanced and wholesome, which would probably eliminate your desire to snack altogether, and if not it doesn't matter as much then what you snack on.

Old 08-31-2014, 06:14 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,045,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroTrashed View Post
Snacks aren't really good or bad either way. It just means that your main meal was lacking in nutrients and/or energy and you need to compensate. This means that it really depends on what you ate for breakfast/lunch/dinner what the right snacks are. That means that if you had a mainly vegetable meal then it is not advisable to snack on more vegetables, or if you had a lot of bread then snacking on biscuits isn't going to do much good either, etc.

So my advice is to make your main meals more balanced and wholesome, which would probably eliminate your desire to snack altogether, and if not it doesn't matter as much then what you snack on.

Yep - this is the best advice.

Old 09-01-2014, 11:51 PM

32 posts, read 111,953 times
If you feel hungry at workplace or between the meal time then nuts is the best option. cashew nuts, walnuts, some peanut butter and fruits are the good. It also good for your health, give you energy and manage weight.

Old 09-02-2014, 12:00 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,217,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovingSAT View Post
I find I am always hungry at work and lose energy - Having my thyroid checked soon.
With that said what are some easy, filling, and healthy snacks to eat at work.
I am seen by the public so it should be something easy to pick up and put down.
I do not think an apple will fit in this circumstance.

Any raw vegetable would be good, a handful of raisins, 1 serving of nuts if you are not allergic, a smoothie, a yogurt, cut the apple into slices, grapes, strawberries, 1 serving of green olives (if you like them).

Old 09-02-2014, 03:42 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,045,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Any raw vegetable would be good, a handful of raisins, 1 serving of nuts if you are not allergic, a smoothie, a yogurt, cut the apple into slices, grapes, strawberries, 1 serving of green olives (if you like them).
Fruit - especially things like raisins or other dried fruit (high sugar), smoothies, even yogurt - all fairly high in sugar although yogurt does have protein - I find that eating sugary foods as a snack makes me hungrier. Grapes are 5 calories apiece. A better snack, if you must have one, would be 1/2 a medium sized apple or a small apple with 4 almonds or a couple of walnuts...balancing the sugar with some protein will keep you satisfied longer. But again, snacking on sugary food (like fruit) alone - you will be hungry again in an hour. If you eat raisins - eat no more than 1/2 ounce - 8.3 grams of sugar in 1/2 ounce.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss