U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 06:56 AM

3,558 posts, read 4,344,275 times

Advertisements

Does anyone here that tries to adhere strongly to a diet ever get annoyed when there's that coworker that constantly puts tons of junk food in the common area? Candy bars, snacks, etc. etc.

While I know the obvious answer to this is to simply avoid eating them, it's much harder when they are sitting in front of your face. At home, I don't buy junk, so it is a breeze to not eat it. We just plan all our meals, stay full off healthy food, and it's not an issue.

So last year, there was a coworker who kept bringing just tons of garbage. It was getting annoying when I was trying to diet hard, yet it was always in front of my face.

What did I do? Well, one day I sat down, and ate nearly everything they brought out. I bet I ate 10-12 fun sized candy bars, a few small bags of chips, crackers, etc...

Well, a couple days later, break room was full of junk again. So? I snagged up about 75% of it, and just ate it all again.

Said coworker was pretty annoyed that the food kept disappearing so fast all of a sudden, so after that they brought it and just kept it in their office.

Problem solved
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2014, 07:28 AM

5,288 posts, read 17,917,595 times
Or you could have just thrown most of the junk food in an outside trash bin rather than gorge yourself on all that junk - you were trying to diet and you used all that candy as an excuse to pig out when you should have had none of it. If you were serious about dieting, all the junk would have not ended up in your mouth. There were other more productive (and healthier) ways of dealing with the problem. For example - stay out of the break room.

Old 09-16-2014, 08:28 AM

3,161 posts, read 8,077,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
There were other more productive (and healthier) ways of dealing with the problem. For example - stay out of the break room.
Agreed. Also, by gorging on the junk food, were you really teaching your coworker a lesson? I am thinking you were on the losing end of that game...

My office is notorious for having leftover meeting food daily (muffins, pastries, sandwiches, etc.), baked goods brought in my coworkers, bowls of candy...you name it, it's here. I gained some weight when I first started the job until I realized I am the one who decides what I shove in my mouth. I made a conscious decision to stop eating crap all of the time and voila! I stopped gaining weight. Having will power is tough but once you set your mind to it, it gets a whole lot easier.

Old 09-16-2014, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
Or you could have just thrown most of the junk food in an outside trash bin rather than gorge yourself on all that junk - you were trying to diet and you used all that candy as an excuse to pig out when you should have had none of it. If you were serious about dieting, all the junk would have not ended up in your mouth. There were other more productive (and healthier) ways of dealing with the problem. For example - stay out of the break room.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
Agreed. Also, by gorging on the junk food, were you really teaching your coworker a lesson? I am thinking you were on the losing end of that game...

My office is notorious for having leftover meeting food daily (muffins, pastries, sandwiches, etc.), baked goods brought in my coworkers, bowls of candy...you name it, it's here. I gained some weight when I first started the job until I realized I am the one who decides what I shove in my mouth. I made a conscious decision to stop eating crap all of the time and voila! I stopped gaining weight. Having will power is tough but once you set your mind to it, it gets a whole lot easier.
Really? You think that throwing someone elses food would be acceptable by any means? At least this way I was only eating the food that was brought, not throwing it away...

I have spent 90% of the last 3+ years trying to GAIN weight, this was one of the very very few times I was actually trying to drop some bodyfat. Typically I try and gain with mostly healthy food, but I'll toss in some shakes and stuff occasionally..

When I did this, I was about 210 lbs and around 12% Bodyfat.. It's not like I was obese or even overweight, I was just trying to get to closer to 8% - 10% Bodyfat..

But, I do understand what you are both saying. For some people, especially ones truly overweight, it may not be as good of a plan lol.

Old 09-16-2014, 09:03 AM

13,758 posts, read 14,589,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstan-dan View Post
Really? You think that throwing someone elses food would be acceptable by any means? At least this way I was only eating the food that was brought, not throwing it away...

I have spent 90% of the last 3+ years trying to GAIN weight, this was one of the very very few times I was actually trying to drop some bodyfat. Typically I try and gain with mostly healthy food, but I'll toss in some shakes and stuff occasionally..

When I did this, I was about 210 lbs and around 12% Bodyfat.. It's not like I was obese or even overweight, I was just trying to get to closer to 8% - 10% Bodyfat..

But, I do understand what you are both saying. For some people, especially ones truly overweight, it may not be as good of a plan lol.

really? you think eating up 75% or all of food/candy that was meant for an entire group is acceptable? thrown away or eaten you accomplished the same thing. too weak to use your own self control, you rationalize rude behavior. should of just asked the person bringing their candy to keep it in their own office.

Old 09-16-2014, 09:20 AM

3,508 posts, read 3,177,339 times
Quote:
Does anyone here that tries to adhere strongly to a diet ever get annoyed when there's that coworker that constantly puts tons of junk food in the common area? Candy bars, snacks, etc. etc.

Best way to get a coworker to quit constantly bringing "community" junk food?
In situations like that I totally become the food police. I start saying things like "You trying to make everyone else here fat like you?" or "Why are you trying to give everyone here diabetes and heart disease?" or "Whats the deal? You are against healthy food?", etc. Everytime I see someone grabbing some of the horrible food I say something to them as well.

I guess some people just think they are being nice doing stuff like that. Like Honey Boo Boo's giant mother, she thinks she's making her kids happy when she feeds them 'sketti smothered in butter along with cup of iced tea that has 6 cubes of sugar.

Old 09-16-2014, 09:29 AM

11,140 posts, read 20,319,586 times
If you can't resist eating when you see food that someone else has brought in, then bring your own healthy food that you can eat instead.

What really gets me is when someone brings in something and insists that you eat it. For example, when I was pregnant, my boss brought in a homemade red velvet cake, cut a big slice, and absolutely insisted that I eat it. I'm allergic to red dye and was also suffering from very bad morning sickness at the time. She went on about the cake until it became clear I was going to have to eat it. You can probably guess what happened, and our little table was only about 4 feet from the ladies restroom so it was totally obvious to everyone.

Old 09-16-2014, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
really? you think eating up 75% or all of food/candy that was meant for an entire group is acceptable? thrown away or eaten you accomplished the same thing. too weak to use your own self control, you rationalize rude behavior. should of just asked the person bringing their candy to keep it in their own office.
Hahaha, I am the LAST person you want to preach self control to.

I will bet you $100 that I have a more muscular/lower body fat physique than 99% of people on this forum. I'm 5'9-5'10, 210lbs and about 10% BF right now. I eat 6 times a day and virtually never miss a meal, maybe 1 or 2 a month. Every one of those meals is cooked, and every single oz of protein is measured and all my carbs are measured. I can tell you exactly what I eat every day and know how much it is within about 5%-10% accuracy.

I did this merely as an example. Throwing it away was wasting it. It was brought to be eaten for people who can't control their eating habits. I just gave the perfect example of that.

Attached is a picture of my lunch box today, this is ONLY the 3 meals I eat at work, I eat 3 more outside of work.. In here is:

meal 1: 3 whole eggs, 3 egg whites, 2 servings oatmeal, 1 piece bacon
Meal 2: 8 oz orange chicken, 1/2 cup rice, 1 piece bacon
Meal 3: 8 oz orange chicken, 1/2 cup rice, 1 piece bacon

My other 3 meals are all similar to this, I have around 1 cheat meal a week that still consist of roughly the same protein to carb ratio, albeit at a restaurant.. Right now I'm aiming to lose BF which I rarely do because I have such a hard time gaining weight, normally I have around 400g of carbs (closer to my maintenance level) instead of around 200g carbs but more fat, like I am now, I keep my protein typically at 300g or so regardless

Call me rude or whatever that's fine, but like I said, you don't want to get into a "self control" or "diet" discussion with me, pal

Last edited by houstan-dan; 09-25-2014 at 01:26 PM..

Old 09-16-2014, 09:32 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,042,360 times
My diet leaves me satisfied most of the time and I never get tempted when seeing junk food. I suggest you reconsider your diet if looking at other foods makes you crave them, because it is probably lacking in either energy or nutrients.

Old 09-16-2014, 09:34 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,042,360 times
Quote:
Call me rude or whatever that's fine, but like I said, you don't want to get into a "self control" or "diet" discussion with me, pal
Why make this thead here then? You are going to get diet discussion here because that's what this forum is about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss