Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2014, 08:42 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,844,740 times

Advertisements

I've been following a 10k training schedule and it has led to a substantial improvement in the consistency of my workouts. Despite only lifting 2 days a week, I'm stronger than I've ever been. My endurance is also really coming along nicely. I now spend 6 days/week in the gym at about an hour or so per day which is a substantial increase from my old workout plan.

The increased volume of exercise has made my appetite explode. I feel very hungry all the time. I have very intense cravings for carby, salty foods. These cravings are much more intense than any cravings I've ever had before. I feel ravenous 2 hours after a meal. The only time my appetite calms down is before bed.

Any advice? I'm heavier than I'd like to be and have only lost 2-3 pounds over the last couple months. Calipers show my bodyfat at 20%. That's way higher than I would like it to be. I'd like to lose about 15 lbs if I can shake my appetite and put myself squarely at 13% BF.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2014, 02:24 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,244,034 times
My advice is to eat. Bit of a no brainer that exercising uses up energy that you need to replenish. Muscles are heavier than fat so that's probably why you don't lose much weight. Just make sure you eat healthy and don't indulge in junk foods to cease your cravings.

Old 09-21-2014, 07:30 AM

515 posts, read 1,004,301 times
Eat more protein. Working out that much means your muscles need a lot of recovery and they recover best with protein. Protein is also filling so you'll be less hungry. Aim for roughly 1 gram for every pound you weigh; 200lbs means 200 grams of protein. 1 serving of protein is around 20-25 grams and 1 pound of meat is about 100 grams

Old 09-26-2014, 06:01 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
drinks lots of water and eat lean meats or tuna fish from a can

Old 10-10-2014, 01:04 PM

157 posts, read 705,491 times
People hit it for you pretty good, try adding some fruit as well. They are natural sugars and give you energy for workouts. I had a friend that worked out as much as you and he was eating 3500 calories a day and was not overweight.

Also eat a big healthy breakfast with at least 1 protein, it will help curb some of those cravings.

Old 10-11-2014, 10:38 AM

3,549 posts, read 5,374,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirdevan View Post
People hit it for you pretty good, try adding some fruit as well. They are natural sugars and give you energy for workouts. I had a friend that worked out as much as you and he was eating 3500 calories a day and was not overweight.

Also eat a big healthy breakfast with at least 1 protein, it will help curb some of those cravings.
Every meal should have protein, not just breakfast. It should be spread evenly over all your meals.

While fruit is ok in a low moderation, natural sugar is still sugar. A very simple carb, which spikes blood sugar and then causes it too crash, thus creating low energy and more hunger.

In a small amount, fruit is ok, but people think that because something is "natural" it automatically means it is healthy and can eat as much as they want, which couldn't be further from the truth.

Old 10-11-2014, 01:21 PM

479 posts, read 2,223,265 times
I don't know what to tell you; I have the same problem. Working out makes me so hungry.

For me, its much easier to control my weight through diet. Eating a low carb/low sugar diet has been the most effective way for me to keep my weight down. Working out makes me feel good, but it is not help me loose weight.

Old 10-13-2014, 07:56 AM

2 posts, read 2,797 times
Default Weight loss Tips

I've realized that I'm more important than food is. I love a big slice of pizza, but I love myself more. Being thin is about changing the way you think about yourself. It's about saying that you deserve to be healthy. So control your food and be healthy. For more fitness advice visit:Home ::Blogs About Weightloss| weightlossonlineinfo

Old 10-13-2014, 08:02 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Put lean protein into salads the size of your head.

Chow down.

Old 10-13-2014, 08:23 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,844,740 times
It's been almost a month and I've found that it helps to not skip snacks. I'm eating every two to three hours.

The day after a 5+ mile run those pretzel cravings are still as fierce as ever, but replacing a salty carb with a salty protein is as close as I've gotten to sating these cravings.

I still want those pretzels all the time, but eating protein helps a little.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss