U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 10:49 AM

1,263 posts, read 4,385,708 times

Advertisements

When I was close to 50 pounds overweight, I did start with a bicycle. I got a Wal-Mart grade bike but it was heavy and awful. Then I borrowed my brother's mountain bike and just put slick tires on it for the road. When I found out how enjoyable it was, then I went to the bike shop and was properly fitted for my road bike. I rode regularly for over a year, lost approximately 20 pounds, and decided it was finally time to try running (I too have flat feet).

Before starting the Couch to 5K like the other posters mentioned, I went to the running store. Absolutely positively go to a dedicated running store where someone can fit you with running shoes and watch how you run in them. It has made all the difference. In spite of all the bicycling, it was challenging. If I could not follow the program as it was written, I would just repeat whatever week I was on until I didn't feel like I was dying during the running intervals.

Now I can either ride my bike or run as the mood strikes, and both are awesome. I also turned from an "exercise hater" (I could not even run the mile we were supposed to do in high school) to someone who loves to work out now in my 40s. You can do it too
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2014, 10:37 PM

8,192 posts, read 22,275,703 times
I do not know about Couch to 5K or anything else like it.

Every single person I know who got into running, including myself, all did the same way: run/jog for as long as you can, then walk for awhile. After you have "cooled down" from walking, run/jog again...and so on. No app, no logging, no "guru", no "goals", no nothing but yourself slowly pushing yourself farther and building endurance each day.

Old 10-27-2014, 12:04 AM

32 posts, read 98,348 times
I Prefer Yoga, and it gives very good results. You can do any yoga aasan according to your physic and weight. A daily walk is also very good for a healthy lifestyle.

Old 10-27-2014, 02:30 PM

1,699 posts, read 1,567,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
I do not know about Couch to 5K or anything else like it.

Every single person I know who got into running, including myself, all did the same way: run/jog for as long as you can, then walk for awhile. After you have "cooled down" from walking, run/jog again...and so on. No app, no logging, no "guru", no "goals", no nothing but yourself slowly pushing yourself farther and building endurance each day.
That's pretty much what the C25K app does. You listen to your music, it prompts you to walk and then run, back to walking and so forth. You do it 3 times a week and by week 8 you're running the entire 5k. You're going at your own pace but the app helps you build endurance.

Old 10-29-2014, 01:30 AM

88 posts, read 170,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
I also highly recommend Couch to 5k. That is a great program. I know many people who have done it.
Agree with you, it is great to run by couch to 5k.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or