Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2014, 10:17 PM

280 posts, read 307,025 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to decide what I should start with. Running, brisk walking, or jogging. Whichever I did I was going to do it from a point by my house that's only 30 minutes back and forth.I wanted to do 1 mile with a very possible 2 miles. Do you think that distance from my house will suffice?

What about running in place at my house? Is that good for calorie burning? I was running in place for bit combining it with the Pilates video below, and had to stop(hence my off and on) because something in my leg felt like it tore and for a month or so hurt something awful until it eventually went away. I was wondering if that happened because my body is not use to exercising?

I rarely exercise, and when I do it's off and on. No routine. I want to stop that and start doing it regularly. By that I mean everyday for a least two or three hours with the hours spread out over the day or in a lump.

I also what to mix my potential running with Pilates. I'm was using this womens's videos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCg_...feature=relmfu

Also Jump roping and stair stepping is something I would like to start as well.

Is all this to much exercising for a person who's not use to doing any of this?

I also have flat feet if that matters.

Last edited by fantasy09; 09-27-2014 at 10:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2014, 10:24 AM

2,465 posts, read 2,759,921 times
My suggestion is to try "Couch to 5k". It's a really easy program to follow and the apps are free to download on Android and Apple.

Old 10-06-2014, 05:31 PM

245 posts, read 304,191 times
read the exercise parts of "THE FOUR HOUR BODY', by tim ferriss. What you do is walk as far as you can, comfortably, in 15 minutes and walk back, in the same time. Every other day, add 10m/yds to how far you go, and keep your times the same. try counting steps on one foot, once you start running. run 25, walk 25, as needed to make your time and distance. Eventually, you'll be sprinting the entire way. it will take almost a year to achieve that, tho.

Old 10-07-2014, 01:58 PM

3,484 posts, read 9,416,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed hour View Post
My suggestion is to try "Couch to 5k". It's a really easy program to follow and the apps are free to download on Android and Apple.
Agreed. I know dozens of people who started running via Couch to 5K. The Couch-to-5K ® Running Plan | C25K Mobile App

Old 10-13-2014, 02:51 PM

157 posts, read 705,491 times
I noticed you didn't state your current state of health. Most of what was said is good info, but some of it depends on where you are right now. If you are trying to do pilates but you are 50lbs over weight, might tone it back some or you will damage something as you might have, but even "healthy" people need to slowly work their way into exercise because there are still muscles you haven't used that will be easy to damage.

If you are overweight, running right away can damage your knees and/or ankles. Bicycling is known as a great way to "oil" your joints I would look into that. You can pick up a nice bicycle at Wal-Mart for $100-120 to start. Don't go and buy a $500-5,000 bicycle until you know you will stick with it.

Old 10-16-2014, 05:12 PM

12,057 posts, read 10,262,685 times
LSD - long slow distance. But what the other poster said - what is your current health situation?

I would start with walking, then brisk walking. Later trot a bit, walk, trot. You will eventually build up to be able to run quite a distance. Takes time.

I used to run, but now just walk for about an hour. Feels great.

Old 10-16-2014, 05:28 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,328,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirdevan View Post
If you are overweight, running right away can damage your knees and/or ankles.
And more likely, your feet. Plantar Fasciitis is a very common chronic injury suffered by people who jump off the couch and start running. I know. I ruined my feet running and believing the "no pain no gain" theory of exercise.

If you are overweight (at ALL) I would recommend you start by brisk walking. (Heck, start that way anyway). As your weight goes down you can move to jogging. But the minute you start feeling pain in your feet (particularly after you first get up from bed or from sitting for a while), back off the running. It is such an awful condition to have and there really is no cure for it. So protect your feet!

Old 10-17-2014, 09:47 AM

210 posts, read 319,058 times
Another vote for the Couch to 5K. Its a great program which introduces you to running and endurance slowly, so that you avoid overdoing it and injury. I installed the app on my phone, got myself some good music into a playlist, and began that program about two years ago. I am still running! They key for me is, slow and steady wins the race. Focus more on your form, and completion, rather than trying to go too fast. If you are getting winded, slow down!

I would mix in some core strength training as well.

Old 10-22-2014, 06:36 AM

4,559 posts, read 5,410,524 times
I also highly recommend Couch to 5k. That is a great program. I know many people who have done it.

Old 10-22-2014, 10:31 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,800,412 times
I did the couch to 5k thing too! I used it to train for my first 5k years ago. So another recommendation for it. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss