Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2014, 11:06 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,897,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Of course it is, I cited information on the daily recommended intake of cholesterol which is something you can find on every nutritional label in the country. Every major health organization recommends minimizing your intake of cholesterol. But you don't believe what the world's health organizations say is true, and that's your right, but I'm not going to adjust what I say to appease some conspiracy theories
So you choose to believe some random recommendations rather than actual scientific evidence? That is your right but I am not going to adjust my beliefs until you provide me with actual scientific evidence that those recommendations are correct. You can't do that because other than the theories that were put forth about cholesterol, saturated fat and heart disease there is virtually NO EVIDENCE that dietary cholesterol or saturated fats cause weight gain or heart disease.

Don't you require actual evidence that something is true? Or will a statement by a self proclaimed expert do?

Quote:
No, but it was funded by the American Egg Board. If you looked with an open mind you'd find numerous studies supporting a link between dietary cholesterol and disease but, as I mentioned, some people are more sensitive than others so the effects aren't the same for everyone (a fact that even your egg board funded study mentions). There is a reason why a daily recommended maximum has been set and the consumption of just 1 and 1/2 medium eggs exceed that maximum. So, as I said, eating whole eggs occasionally is fine but eating them routinely is not. Legumes, whole grains, nuts, seeds and dairy should be the primarily source of protein for vegetarians. Nothing controversial about that statement, you'll find it echoed in any nutrition book on vegetarian diets.

Also I went over the nutrients in eggs, as I showed, the same nutrients can be found far more abundantly in other foods that are cholesterol free so there is no benefit to routine egg consumption.
So what? The study was founded by the American Egg Board. Nearly every study is funded by some interest group.

Just because a bunch of people write books, based on nothing but their opinion that does not mean something is proven to be true and without controversy. The whole cholesterol theory of heart disease is VERY controversial no matter how many people parrot it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2014, 11:06 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,078,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
If you are nursing you should not be on a strict vegitarian diet. Also, you say you have a 7 year old, but in another thread you posted that you have an 8 year old. Congrats on being lucky enough to work from home with a baby.
Who says? Vegetarian diets are known to be safe for all stages of life, including pregnancy and nursing. Pregnant or nursing vegetarians just need to make sure they keep their protein intake above 80 grams or so and make sure they eat nutritious foods (same goes for non-vegetarians).

Old 10-12-2014, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
So you choose to believe some random recommendations rather than actual scientific evidence?
This is the conspiracy theory, that some how the world's health organizations and the hundreds of scientists supporting them are some how randomly setting recommendations. Of course, in reality, the recommendations are based on decades of research and the consensus of hundreds of scientists. These people look at all the research, not just cherry picked examples they find on the internet.

What I've said in this thread is textbook nutritional science. You're free to disagree with it, but I'm not going to stop citing textbook science because a handful of diet gurus disagree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
So what? The study was founded by the American Egg Board. Nearly every study is funded by some interest group.
So what? The American Egg Board, a group responsible for increasing egg sales, is only going to fund a study that they think will make eggs look good. Its not difficult to design and twist small studies like this to get the results you want. And there are numerous studies that aren't funded by interest groups and these are the studies that get the most focus in the scientific community. Scientists are well aware of the sort of nonsense pulled by the food industry. Nutritional recommendations aren't created on the basis of small industry funded studies, but instead large well designed studies with independent funding.

Old 10-12-2014, 11:21 PM

11,021 posts, read 5,976,518 times
Quote:
My suggestion is to speak with your doctor to see what he/she recommends for a nursing mom's diet.
I haven't known doctors to be particularly clued up on diet, including paediatricians (but then it's been a while since I had young kids). I certainly wouldn't eat what many doctors eat.

I once had a rise in LDL and when queried on what I could be eating to cause it I volunteered a high egg consumption. I was told that could not be it. It turned out to be cheese. I cut down on the cheese, not the eggs and my cholesterol returned to optimal. The rise was not great but was above optimum.

Saturated animal fats and transfats seem to be the bad guys. Second only to sugar.

Quote:
... for example high egg consumption has been linked to type 2 diabetes:
How does one link egg consumption to type II diabetes? In a population where sugar is the primary 'food' source? (I use the term 'food' loosely here). How does one differentiate between 'egg diabetes' and sugar diabetes?

Incidentally, there is a group of people who advocate that avocado, banana and whole wheat among a few other healthy food items should never be eaten. One can lose weight by not eating a banana a day! Not sure what their agenda could be.

Quote:
Myth 2: Eggs are evil
It's true that eggs have a lot of dietary cholesterol—upwards of 200 mg, which is more than two-thirds of the American Heart Association's recommended limit of 300 mg a day. But dietary cholesterol isn't nearly as dangerous as was once thought. Only some of the cholesterol in food ends up as cholesterol in your bloodstream, and if your dietary cholesterol intake rises, your body compensates by producing less cholesterol of its own.

While you don't want to overdo it, eating an egg or two a few times a week isn't dangerous. In fact, eggs are an excellent source of protein and contain unsaturated fat, a so-called good fat.
Make of this what you will.

Last edited by 303Guy; 10-12-2014 at 11:35 PM..

Old 10-12-2014, 11:24 PM

604 posts, read 933,904 times
Read "Eat to Live" by Dr. Joel Fuhrman.

Old 10-13-2014, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
Saturated animal fats and transfats seem to be the bad guys. Second only to sugar.
Sugar isn't know to impact cholesterol that much.....though excessive sugar consumption can elevate triglycerides and cause metabolic problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
How does one link egg consumption to type II diabetes? In a population where sugar is the primary 'food' source? (I use the term 'food' loosely here). How does one differentiate between 'egg diabetes' and sugar diabetes?
There is no "egg diabetes" and "sugar diabetes" so there is nothing to differentiate, studies have found consistent links between type 2 diabetes and high intake of cholesterol. High cholesterol intake is also associated with gestational diabetes and once people become diabetic they become more sensitive to dietary cholesterol than non-diabetics. So it seems pretty clear that high cholesterol intake is an important factor in the development of type 2 diabetes.

While it may be counter-intuitive to some, sugar consumption is not strongly associated with the development of type 2 diabetes, for example:

"Intake of sugars does not appear to play a deleterious role in primary prevention of type 2 diabetes. These prospective data support the recent American Diabetes Association’s guideline that a moderate amount of sugar can be incorporated in a healthy diet."

http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/26/4/1008.full

Old 10-13-2014, 01:53 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,840,052 times
Oatmeal is GREAT for your milk supply. Mother’s Diet : KellyMom and Vegetarian Diets and Breastfeeding : KellyMom

You can also get on LLLI | Home La Leche League and ask or call a counselor.

Old 10-13-2014, 04:00 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,897,096 times
Quote:
Sugar isn't know to impact cholesterol that much.....though excessive sugar consumption can elevate triglycerides and cause metabolic problems.
This is not true. In 2010 there was a study published in the JAMA which linked sugar consumption and cholesterol (in addition to triglycerides).

Old 10-13-2014, 07:18 PM

7,115 posts, read 12,654,276 times
Eat whole foods, unprocessed or very lightly processed.
Eat lots of green vegetables, often raw as in salads
Eat smaller portions
Drink lots of pure water
Develop a de-stress practice, whether yoga, meditation, tai chi, walking, or a gym work-out
Get outside as often as possible in nature.

Avoid additives such as food coloring, HFCS and nitrates.

Do those simple things and you'll do well and be well.

Old 10-13-2014, 08:27 PM

17 posts, read 20,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prple View Post
Green vegetables (lots), salads, eggs/omelets (all sorts of combinations) Do you eat fish? If so, salmon and tuna is another good option. Figure out what your favorite vegetables are and then look up recipes/ideas. Watch your overall carb/sugar intake when it comes to sauces and dressings rather than worrying about fat.
No fish
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss