Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 12:49 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,860,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
You can do the same thing in the USA or anywhere else in the world, you just have to be more diligent with reading labels and choosing products that do not have high fructose corn syrup in them, do not use sweet tea, choose produce that is fresh first then frozen, weigh and measure your own portions and have only what you have weighed and measured, do not purchase snack chips, pretzels and things like that and get your pasta fresh made or make it yourself.
Making pasta is not that difficult, it takes 1 egg, 1-2 cups of flour and boiling salted water.
This is my world, except for the home-made pasta. This is how everyone I know lives. No differently than in Europe. According to reports in the US, it's people with little education and/or living at or near poverty level who don't read labels, eat a lot of processed food, and buy soft drinks and the fast food huge drink portions and burgers, because they're cheap and fill kids up cheaply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2014, 12:53 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,207,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Or you could avoid pasta altogether.
Why would I avoid pasta? I eat pasta often and make my own and work it into my daily food consumption so the amount I eat is accounted for.

I didn't give up sugar, bread, pasta, milk, cheese or anything that was full flavor, full fat, well I didn't give up anything and I managed to lose 500 pounds. It took 13 years to do it but throughout those years I learned how to eat what I wanted, how much I could have and what choices would be better but pasta was not and will not ever be removed from my list of go to foods for a quick, light, easy, filling meal.

Old 10-24-2014, 12:57 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,213,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
As far as I know only the US allows this. It's not allowed in the UK.
Yes, because the pharma corporations bought off politicians to get the "freedom" to run these commercials, give kickbacks to doctors who pedal their pills... then when you pay for the pills, you're also paying for the high cost of marketing them

Old 10-24-2014, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbiePoster View Post
This is my world, except for the home-made pasta. This is how everyone I know lives. No differently than in Europe. According to reports in the US, it's people with little education and/or living at or near poverty level who don't read labels, eat a lot of processed food, and buy soft drinks and the fast food huge drink portions and burgers, because they're cheap and fill kids up cheaply.
I've watched a few episodes of "My 600 Pound Life" and food ignorance, combined with food addiction and lack of exercise is the problem. I couldn't believe what some of these people were eating, not even realizing how horrible it was. Once woman honestly thought french fries were a "healthy vegetable". Apparently we need mandatory nutrition classes in all U.S. high schools.

Old 10-24-2014, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I've watched a few episodes of "My 600 Pound Life" and food ignorance, combined with food addiction and lack of exercise is the problem. I couldn't believe what some of these people were eating, not even realizing how horrible it was. Once woman honestly thought french fries were a "healthy vegetable". Apparently we need mandatory nutrition classes in all U.S. high schools.
Not a bad idea. I got basic nutrition instruction in 2nd grade. Don't schools do that anymore? Then in middle school, they could kick it up to a more advanced level, and talk about vitamins, food additives, reading labels, how food interacts with the endocrine system to build fat or maintain a healthy body, include some science and physiology in there. Great idea!

Old 10-24-2014, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Yes, because the pharma corporations bought off politicians to get the "freedom" to run these commercials, give kickbacks to doctors who pedal their pills... then when you pay for the pills, you're also paying for the high cost of marketing them
Yet another example of how life in the US is about selling, commerce, corporate-driven agendas, instead of basic health.

Old 10-24-2014, 03:35 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,812,041 times
Quote:
Not a bad idea. I got basic nutrition instruction in 2nd grade. Don't schools do that anymore? Then in middle school, they could kick it up to a more advanced level, and talk about vitamins, food additives, reading labels, how food interacts with the endocrine system to build fat or maintain a healthy body, include some science and physiology in there. Great idea!
Doesn't matter what the school teaches if parents are loading their kid's lunches up with junk foods and the cafeterias are serving high fat, low nutrient foods.

Old 12-08-2014, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Doesn't matter what the school teaches if parents are loading their kid's lunches up with junk foods and the cafeterias are serving high fat, low nutrient foods.
True, but there seems to be a lot of parents who also have no understanding of nutrition. Or even basic cooking skills I know people my age who consider the kitchen a room to just "look at", because they don't use it. Food is all "drive through on the way home from work".

Old 12-13-2014, 07:49 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,509,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroTrashed View Post
It's kind of sad to see that some people think that fresh and natural food is something like a secret and that highly processed artificial stuff is the norm.
Here is the US - it is the norm. There's a Mcdonalds, Wendys, ect on every street corner.

Quote:
Yet another example of how life in the US is about selling, commerce, corporate-driven agendas, instead of basic health.
Yep. And that applies to our industrial farming complex where we shove corn into all of our animals.

Ugh.

Old 12-13-2014, 08:21 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,243,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Here is the US - it is the norm. There's a Mcdonalds, Wendys, ect on every street corner.
That's not the whole story. I live in a small town of 20k pop. in Europe and have access to 30+ fast food restaurants that deliver to my house, I couldn't count those that I could go to within 10 minutes driving.

There are differences of course. The governments here do not subsidize corn and HFCS just isn't well established here... yet. Government subsidizing in general shouldn't be underestimated because they create huge incentives towards certain products. In fact they should be feared and abolished.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss