U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 01:49 PM

1,698 posts, read 1,566,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
How does it make you? You mean because otherwise you'll get sick? Why have I heard that people who have had surgery have ended up going back to their old ways?
Not every person who's had gastric bypass has intolerance after surgery. Overeating will cause vomiting. I had GB back in March 2012 and have since met many, many GB pot-opers. I have found do not change their diet dramatically as they can still tolerate sweets or carbs, etc just in much smaller amounts.

As you become further out from surgery there is some natural stretching of the pouch. You don't eat 2 ounces of food at a time forever. At over 2 1/2 years out, I can easily eat a 4-5 ounce piece of protein with a couple of bites of vegetables. Over the long term, those that don't change their habits are the ones with significant regain. Rather than eating a 4-5 ounce piece of chicken they'll eat a big bag of chips or a sleeve of cookies and such.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2014, 10:40 PM

192 posts, read 212,843 times
Quote:
get several professional opinions
...and NON professional (because pro means money is involved)

Quote:
The best way to lose weight is to cut what you are taking in.
Wrong. That way causes yo-yo dieting.
This is the BEST way

They way that works with the body; not fighting it.

Old 10-31-2014, 10:50 PM

3,853 posts, read 6,845,775 times
Quote:
How does it make you? You mean because otherwise you'll get sick? Why have I heard that people who have had surgery have ended up going back to their old ways?
A friend of mine had the surgery and didn't follow the dietary guidelines. Two years later, she died.

Please be careful when considering gastric bypass.

Old 11-01-2014, 08:21 PM

3,508 posts, read 3,174,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photobuff42 View Post
A friend of mine had the surgery and didn't follow the dietary guidelines. Two years later, she died.
Which is why I say it should be the LAST alternative for anyone looking to lose weight. The last alternative AND only after seeking the advice of at least 2-3 physicians.

Old 11-01-2014, 08:39 PM

23,962 posts, read 32,663,532 times
Quote:
Yeah, I fear that this person will get the surgery, and not be able to stick to the guidelines of eating that comes with it. Basically, if they could stick with that type of guideline, they could lose weight without the surgery.
This.

While gastric bypass surgery has no doubt saved countless lives, I think too many people see it as a "quick fix" or an easy way out and they don't realize it isn't until it's too late. The surgery is irreversible.

My highest BMI was between 41 and 42. Current BMI is 20. Body fat %age is 19%, which is in the "athletic" range for women. Especially for a 39 year-old woman.

I lost more weight in '08-'09 than I currently weigh now. So, over 50% of my body weight.

It can be done.

On paper, I qualified for gastric bypass surgery. I am glad every day that I was wise enough to avoid it.

Old 11-01-2014, 09:04 PM

22,592 posts, read 12,285,863 times
Four years ago I underwent the Bariatric surgery known as a gastric bypass "Roux-en-Y" procedure.

Not just anyone qualifies for bariatric surgery ... you must have a BMI at 45 or greater, unless you have a morbidity issue such as Type 2 diabetes, then you can qualify if your BMI is 35 or greater. Once you are deemed eligible for the surgery, you have to undergo a series of tests spread out over a few months ... stress test, psychiatric evaluation, sleep study (many patients suffer from Obstructive Sleep Apnea), etc.

For me it was a resounding success. It put my diabetes into remission and my high blood pressure as well. I dropped from a 42 inch waist to a 34 inch waist. My only problem is that now I find a few pounds creeping back on even though I go to a gym ... so it is not a "cure" for obesity, only a tool to get you to lose weight - the rest is up to you to keep it off!

Old 11-04-2014, 09:33 AM

66 posts, read 45,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photobuff42 View Post

Please be careful when considering gastric bypass.
I had gastric bypass in Feb 2008 weighed at 295lbs, and by Dec 2008 I was down to 162lbs. Today almost 6yrs later I have maintained my weight around 156-158 and not everyone has dire effects.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss