Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2014, 05:39 PM

17 posts, read 20,260 times

Advertisements

Hello,

This is my 4th month post delivery and am starting to exercise. I have done 3 days 30 mins of walking which has left me sore! Is this normal? How light/slow should I go? This is so frustrating

Any suggestion is welcome.

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2014, 06:32 PM

3,308 posts, read 4,547,249 times
If you're sore, that might be a good thing. But if you think it's not, then slow down and do a little less. And then build up.

Old 11-04-2014, 04:47 AM

6,367 posts, read 6,244,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armt View Post
Hello,

This is my 4th month post delivery and am starting to exercise. I have done 3 days 30 mins of walking which has left me sore! Is this normal? How light/slow should I go? This is so frustrating

Thanks,
No one can say if it's "normal" since we don't know your med history but good for you for sticking with it!

Old 11-04-2014, 04:56 PM

22,627 posts, read 24,486,042 times
I would get a checkup and CBC, just to cover the basics.

Old 11-05-2014, 12:59 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,972,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armt View Post
Hello,

Thanks,
It could be normal; what was your fitness level previously?

I recently was sore from going down 21 flights of stairs. I didn't expect it since it didn't feel difficult at the time. So, now I take the stairs down every day. I haven't been sore since then. I decided I wanted to work up to going up the stairs as well, so I started by going to the 8th floor every day and I've added a floor each week.

So, if 30 minutes makes you sore but is doable, stick with that. Then slowly increase from there once you're no longer sore. I would add maybe 5 minutes of walking a week, something like that. If you do too much too soon you will burn out and stop entirely (at least I've done that).

Old 11-11-2014, 07:08 PM

21 posts, read 23,635 times
If you are left sore after exercising, it has to do with the fact that you are not used to it. Once you get used to it by exercising regularly you will no longer feel it. It's just like exercising when you are out of shape, and you are left with sore all throughout your body.

Old 11-26-2014, 02:35 AM

7 posts, read 8,865 times
Default 30 minutes of walking

It sounds like you may have started too strong and overdone it for yourself. Remember, your body has been through big changes and is still healing -- it takes up to six months for the uterus itself to return to normal size. Also, I don't know what you were doing before for exercise, or if you did anything during your pregnancy, but if you didn't, small wonder you are having difficulty now.

Suggestions -- check the footwear you are using. Is it an appropriate walking shoe? Does it provide sufficient support for your feet?

-- What kind of terrain are you walking on? If its a lot of uphill, downhill, of course you'll be sore. Walk on level ground (and not a lot of dirt and rocks) to make it easier on yourself.

-- If 30 minutes is too much for you, start with 10 for a few days, then up it five minutes a day till you reach 30. That should help your body adjust. Walk at a moderate pace, don't run or push yourself. When you are comfortable, you may want to start walkiing a bit more quickly (again, not running, just walking).

-- Take a warm bath afterward to soothe your muscles.

-- Take omega 3 fish oil capsules -- good for the joints.

Good luck!

Old 12-05-2014, 12:16 AM

88 posts, read 191,855 times
I think you should wait for some more days. You are feeling sore then it is ok, but if you are not ok with it, then I will suggest you should skip it for sometime.

Old 12-05-2014, 11:27 AM

4,613 posts, read 4,784,008 times
To second some of the above posts...."sore" is good. "hurt/injured" is not. It's difficult to describe the difference, but hopefully you know.

If it continues and doesn't seem to improve, take a few days off and see what happens.

Old 12-05-2014, 05:53 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,291,518 times
You don't mention what is sore.
Hips, gluts, calves, feet, lower back? See what I mean?
is it gone by morning? If, no...
You think you are low on minerals?
We don't know what you're diet or weight are...or even your shoes....old
worn or new?
Lots of factors to consider here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss