U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 03:18 PM

7,136 posts, read 10,991,074 times

Advertisements

Counting calories always seemed like too much work to me, but many people I know have had success with it. I believe the key is to be mindful about what you eat, watch your portion size, and work some physical activity into each day. Basically if you eat half of what you are used to eating and maintain your exercise routine you will lose weight without depriving yourself of the things you love. If you get hungry because you are halving your portions just eat more fruits and vegetables until you feel full. I just lost 6 pounds in eight weeks doing this and it's been pretty easy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2014, 03:26 PM

14,523 posts, read 7,571,423 times
Check out this site: Lose It! It has a free web app, but there's also a mobile app for your smartphone, if you have one. I have it on my iPhone and iPad, so there's never any real reason for not being accountable.

I hate counting calories, but this site does it for you. I lost over 30 lbs over 2 years ago and have (mostly) kept it off. Whenever I gain any back, it's because I've begun to get lax about logging (and thus making myself accountable) for what I eat.

You wrote:
Quote:
I cook. I made chili today with ground turkey, canned tomatoes, green peppers, onions, garlic, canned kidney beans and a ton of spices....how do I count the calories in that?
There are two ways you could do this.

If this is something you make regularly, you could calculate the calories of each ingredient and then divide by the number of cups in the whole recipe. You could then enter this (in the Lose It! app) as one of your recipes, and you'd never have to calculate it again, because it would remain as a recipe, and you'd just browse your foods and enter however much you eat at a particular time.

The other way would be to browse the existing database for Chili; find one with similar ingredients and use that one. Wouldn't be exact, but be at least an effort towards accounting for the calories being ingested.

Old 11-10-2014, 09:40 PM

192 posts, read 213,113 times
"what I'm eating"

Yes, it's always what you're eating.......NOT how many calories.

And Dr's are not dieticians; no clue about diet.

Last edited by Sacman; 11-10-2014 at 09:48 PM..

Old 11-11-2014, 08:02 AM

3,558 posts, read 4,352,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
You dont.
If you are actively trying to lose weight, and failing, then it would be a VERY good idea to count calories for a while until you understand a good baseline of how much you need to eat to actively lose weight or maintain.

Losing WEIGHT (health aside) is the EASIEST most direct process in the world. You ONLY have to consume less calories than you burn. Period.

If you go in blindly, with really no idea, it's a recipe for disaster. Sure, you can keep eating less, but even then you really aren't too sure what you are having each day when you try swapping in other foods that may be more or less calorie dense.

The only hard part about losing weight is figuring out what that magic number is for each person to lose weight. That's where calorie counting is beneficial. Pick a number, do that for a week or two, then adjust accordingly. If you're losing weight, then keep those calories, if not, then reduce them.

Not to be rude, OP, but if you can't even google "how to count calories" because that seems like too much "work" to even find out HOW to do it, you are not going to like counting them, as it's far more tedious. If you aren't losing weight, I think you need to be more motivated. Figuring out "how" to count calories is the easiest part, actually doing it, and having the will power to eat that number, is going to be 1000x harder. Good luck.

Old 11-11-2014, 08:10 AM

2,620 posts, read 2,513,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstan-dan View Post
If you go in blindly, with really no idea, it's a recipe for disaster. Sure, you can keep eating less, but even then you really aren't too sure what you are having each day when you try swapping in other foods that may be more or less calorie dense.
Not trying to harp on Weight Watchers here, but agreeing with what you're saying. I used to be told, "just eat in moderation". Problem was, I had no idea what that meant in very literal terms. Is that having a piece of pie once a year, or once a month, once a week? What's "moderation"? Weight Watchers really helped with that by giving me an idea of what portion control meant, and what a reasonable amount of food was for me. I actually started my first week on the program by tracking what I was eating without trying to cut back at all. I wanted to get a baseline first so I could see how far my current eating habits were from where they should be. It was very interesting. I'd been eating about twice the daily amount that I should be!

I don't belong to the program anymore, but I found it a very good way to get the education I needed on the quantity and types of food I should be eating.

Old 11-11-2014, 02:15 PM

283 posts, read 318,280 times
Counting is for accountants. Ever see an animal in the wild count calories or look in the mirror?

Eat when you're hungry, stop eating when you're not and consume very few (esp refined) carbs. That's all there is to it. No counting required.

As for exercise, 8 minutes of intense cardio each week is more than enough outside of some brisk walking here and there.

Old 11-11-2014, 02:23 PM

2,620 posts, read 2,513,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saigafreak View Post
Counting is for accountants. Ever see an animal in the wild count calories or look in the mirror?
No, but I have seen dogs eat their own poop. Don't think I'll follow the "animal diet"

Old 11-11-2014, 02:25 PM

283 posts, read 318,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
No, but I have seen dogs eat their own poop. Don't think I'll follow the "animal diet"
So eating food preserved in a box and looking at the side for what you're going to put into your online calculator is any less strange?

Also, if you eat 1500 calories of starchy foods, you'll be hungrier faster than if you eat 1500 calories of eggs, bacon, avocados, fish, nuts, berries. Also, the latter group will actually increase the "calories out" part of the equation. The problem is that no one really knows what YOU burn a day in calories. It's a wild estimate.

Old 11-11-2014, 03:20 PM

5,342 posts, read 6,413,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saigafreak View Post

Eat when you're hungry, stop eating when you're not and consume very few (esp refined) carbs. That's all there is to it. No counting required.

As for exercise, 8 minutes of intense cardio each week is more than enough outside of some brisk walking here and there.
It is not so simple for some people. For someone just starting out trying to lose weight they need an education about food in general. The one thing that seems to be a constant is that no one way of eating fits all. WW is a great way to understand food, nutrition, portion size, etc... It may not be the answer but its a start for some people. And for optimal health a person needs more than 8 minutes of cardio a week, especially if they are trying to lose weight. Cardio & resistance/weight training is non negotiable for optimal health and results.

Old 11-11-2014, 03:37 PM

14,613 posts, read 8,422,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
I've been working out for 3 months now and have only lost 4 pounds. I had a doc appointment yesterday and my doctor said my problem is not the exercise but what I'm eating and that I need to count calories in order to lose weight.

I need to lose about 30 lbs. Every time I think about counting calories, I get overwhelmed. Basically, I don't know how to start/how to do it. I cook. I made chili today with ground turkey, canned tomatoes, green peppers, onions, garlic, canned kidney beans and a ton of spices....how do I count the calories in that?
It's actually not hard, but weighing your foods with a digital scale is key. I started out by eating one food and not mixing them together, as in stews. For example, 4 oz of boneless, skineless chicken breast is about 130 calories. One 6 oz container Dannon Greek yogurt is 80 calories. But don't eyeball your foods, thinking you have the portion size correct. Most people overestimate that way. If you eat the same foods consistently, pretty soon you will memorize how many calories are in your favorite foods, then you can mix them up. After that, it's a breeze.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss