Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 01:36 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,112,822 times

Advertisements

I'll agree that something like WW is a good place to start to understand portion size but the idea of counting calories is a little ridiculous

Another concept - remove all processed meals from your diet, eat more greens.
....and I don't mean all at once. Start with breakfast. Or change what you snack on during the day. Slowly change your habits until they are replaced with healthier ones
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2014, 04:38 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,018,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
Yep - I've known (and know) people just like this...many friends and family members over the years who say they are eating 1000 calories a day and running/exercising daily for hours but can't lose any weight (yet they are maintaining their obese bodies by eating enough calories to keep their bulk intact)....they are fooling no one but themselves.

Yeah, they're eating 1000 calories a day....in snacks and drinks.

I had an obese co worker who would eat 1000 calories in under 10 mins everday at 1000 am. He'd eat 10 100 pack cookies. It was digusting to watch/listen to him inhale those things.

Old 11-16-2014, 06:39 AM

3,549 posts, read 5,376,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Yeah, they're eating 1000 calories a day....in snacks and drinks.

I had an obese co worker who would eat 1000 calories in under 10 mins everday at 1000 am. He'd eat 10 100 pack cookies. It was digusting to watch/listen to him inhale those things.
Pff, it doesn't even take that. I've seen those individual honey buns that have like 500-600 calories. Combine that with a non - diet soda and you're at the 800 calorie mark in something many ppl wouldn't think is even half that I bet.

Old 11-17-2014, 12:14 PM

4,565 posts, read 5,417,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
My doctor told me I need to count calories

I've been working out for 3 months now and have only lost 4 pounds. I had a doc appointment yesterday and my doctor said my problem is not the exercise but what I'm eating and that I need to count calories in order to lose weight.

I need to lose about 30 lbs. Every time I think about counting calories, I get overwhelmed. Basically, I don't know how to start/how to do it. I cook. I made chili today with ground turkey, canned tomatoes, green peppers, onions, garlic, canned kidney beans and a ton of spices....how do I count the calories in that?
Good luck with that. Just saw your post over in the Food forums looking for places to get deep fried turkey for thanksgiving. Between that post and your failure to participate in the discussion here that you started, I have serious doubts that you will lose any weight.

Old 11-17-2014, 03:16 PM

21 posts, read 24,431 times
I use the MyFitnessPal app and I like it. I also do a modified paleo diet- have done so even before it was popular and it's the only diet that I find keeps my weight down- i.e. Either I eat like this and not have to exercise or I have a more indulgent diet but have to exercise.

I've found portion control is the most important thing for maintaining my weight. I only use salad plates vs oversized dinner plates. I only snack on sources of protein between meals (Greek yogurt, almonds, etc). I would highly recommend a food scale to gauge the actual amount of food consumed.

Old 11-17-2014, 08:07 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,330,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
Good luck with that. Just saw your post over in the Food forums looking for places to get deep fried turkey for thanksgiving. Between that post and your failure to participate in the discussion here that you started, I have serious doubts that you will lose any weight.
ROFL busted!

Old 11-17-2014, 08:27 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,872,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
I don't know, low carb, high fat is pretty popular right now

Old 11-18-2014, 08:14 AM

1,242 posts, read 1,689,789 times
I was always told I was big boned, so many years back I decided to try out SparkPeople when it was in its infancy. I didn't really believe I would lose anything but, wow I did. I had such "portion distortion" that I oftentimes didn't realize how many servings were being consumed in a sitting. It was also very easy to realize that unprocessed foods gave me more bang for my buck. I prefer it to weightwatchers because I don't have to buy into a system - however both are great options for someone just starting out.

Old 11-18-2014, 01:03 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,872,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eazine View Post
I was always told I was big boned, so many years back I decided to try out SparkPeople when it was in its infancy. I didn't really believe I would lose anything but, wow I did. I had such "portion distortion" that I oftentimes didn't realize how many servings were being consumed in a sitting. It was also very easy to realize that unprocessed foods gave me more bang for my buck. I prefer it to weightwatchers because I don't have to buy into a system - however both are great options for someone just starting out.
SparkPeople has been really good for me too.

Old 11-18-2014, 01:11 PM

88 posts, read 80,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
I've been working out for 3 months now and have only lost 4 pounds. I had a doc appointment yesterday and my doctor said my problem is not the exercise but what I'm eating and that I need to count calories in order to lose weight.

I need to lose about 30 lbs. Every time I think about counting calories, I get overwhelmed. Basically, I don't know how to start/how to do it. I cook. I made chili today with ground turkey, canned tomatoes, green peppers, onions, garlic, canned kidney beans and a ton of spices....how do I count the calories in that?
I have been overweight for many years and it wasn't until I developed the proper mindset that I was able to lose weight. What works for me (and I am not saying it works for everyone), is to understand that food is the enemy. I have lost almost 40 pounds in the last three months and I promise you that it's all a thought process and has nothing to do with exercise or counting calories (although becoming more active DID help me lose my weight faster). Until you get your head right, until YOU become the master, nothing is going to work. You must understand that you are in control, not your hunger. Hunger is just a trick to fool you into giving in to the enemy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss