U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-13-2014, 12:51 PM
 
Location: Boise, ID
8,043 posts, read 23,642,027 times
Reputation: 9334

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofur View Post
umm, did it ever occur to you that you were building muscle mass with all that exercise, and that slowed down your scale weight drop? You could've lost 25 pounds of fat but gained 10 pounds of lean mass. Plus you were consistently eating carbs, which kept you from losing all the water weight that comes off in low carb dieting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivemind31 View Post
This is why body fat percentage and the good old tape measure are your friend.
It did occur to me, because I'm not an idiot. However, I also didn't lose much in the way of inches. Didn't even notice a change in the way my clothes fit.

Also, I'm a woman. Women don't gain large amounts of muscle mass unless they are body builders. So a few pounds, maybe, but probably not 10 or more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-13-2014, 12:57 PM
 
Location: Southwestern, USA
15,254 posts, read 12,042,435 times
Reputation: 16556
8 pounds in 3 weeks?!
That means I could lose my exact 16 pound desired loss
in 6 weeks? (Damn ankle sprain...I limped for 5 months!)
YAY!
I'm inspired now!!!

I was thinking I could comfortably lost 1.5-2 pounds a week.
2 pounds ( 2 bricks of butter of pure fat) a week is alot, tho....
1.5 seems more realistic....without doing HCG, I mean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2014, 01:45 PM
 
4,608 posts, read 3,781,897 times
Reputation: 4043
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
It did occur to me, because I'm not an idiot. However, I also didn't lose much in the way of inches. Didn't even notice a change in the way my clothes fit.

Also, I'm a woman. Women don't gain large amounts of muscle mass unless they are body builders. So a few pounds, maybe, but probably not 10 or more.
Well, 8 pounds isn't going to give you any inches. You need to allow yourself more than 21 days for that kind of progress.

As for gaining muscle mass, it's all relative. "A few pounds" of muscle mass is HUGE for your metabolism, BECAUSE you're a woman. It's not a detriment. To get the same metabolic benefit from you gaining, say 3 pounds of muscle, I'd have to gain like 8.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2014, 02:30 PM
 
Location: Boise, ID
8,043 posts, read 23,642,027 times
Reputation: 9334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivemind31 View Post
Well, 8 pounds isn't going to give you any inches. You need to allow yourself more than 21 days for that kind of progress.

As for gaining muscle mass, it's all relative. "A few pounds" of muscle mass is HUGE for your metabolism, BECAUSE you're a woman. It's not a detriment. To get the same metabolic benefit from you gaining, say 3 pounds of muscle, I'd have to gain like 8.
I think you mixed me up with the OP. I lost 15 pounds over about 8 months. tofur said maybe I lost 25 in fat and gained 10 in muscle, and I was saying that 25 pounds lost should have resulted in inches.

I wasn't saying that gaining muscle wasn't good, I was saying that as a woman, it is unlikely that I gained 10 pounds in muscle working out an hour a day 3 times a week.

I think you mixed up a couple of posters, as your response doesn't really fit what I have posted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2014, 07:00 AM
 
Location: Coastal New Jersey
55,713 posts, read 54,309,763 times
Reputation: 65956
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiliSpaghetti View Post
I am feeling discouraged. Only 8 pounds in 21 days? I have been working so hard! How do people lose 10 pounds a week or 20 pounds per months? I dont get it.
I think that's GREAT. I've been exercising and carefully watching what I eat all week, and I GAINED a pound. Now that's discouraging. Why didn't I just sit on the couch and eat ice cream all week? I wouldn't be sore, and I probably would have gained that same pound.

But I looked things up today as to why that happens, because it has happened to me before, and I'm just going to keep going.

If I knew I'd be eight pounds lighter in 21 days, I'd be so happy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2014, 07:05 AM
 
Location: Coastal New Jersey
55,713 posts, read 54,309,763 times
Reputation: 65956
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiliSpaghetti View Post
Who was that woman who had her own show, her name was Ruby. She would talk about losing 10 pounds a week. I am wondering the heavier you are when you start out the quicker it comes off when you diet.
It seems to be that way. I watched a couple of episodes of that show with the really heavy people and the guy named Chris who comes along and coaches them. He said that a person of that weight (they are usually in excess of 300 pounds on that show) can lose a pound a day for the first 90 days, so 90 days in three months is their first goal. It slows after that.

I don't think people who aren't at that level of overweight can safely lose weight that fast, though. Besides, the people on that show never seem to have to go to work. They have time to do two hours of exercise a day, coached by and forced by Chris, and they have somebody there cooking them low-cal, healthy meals. It's a LITTLE different when you're on your own and have to go to work each day and clean your house and whatnot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2014, 09:45 AM
 
4,608 posts, read 3,781,897 times
Reputation: 4043
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
I think you mixed me up with the OP. I lost 15 pounds over about 8 months. tofur said maybe I lost 25 in fat and gained 10 in muscle, and I was saying that 25 pounds lost should have resulted in inches.

I wasn't saying that gaining muscle wasn't good, I was saying that as a woman, it is unlikely that I gained 10 pounds in muscle working out an hour a day 3 times a week.

I think you mixed up a couple of posters, as your response doesn't really fit what I have posted.
Ahh, I did confuse you with the OP, thanks.

Regarding your original post, I'd speculate that you weren't eating ENOUGH (depending on how much you currently weigh...this is just haphazard guessing). Most people with average bodies trying to lose weight are better served putting on muscle first to boost their metabolism, and then cutting calories. With all the exercise you were doing, you weren't eating enough to put ON that muscle (especially not enough protein if you were at 40%), you were just burning it off. Or I could just be way off...it is the internet, after all!

It's a HARD cycle, to be sure!

But it is ABSOLUTELY possible, even likely, for women to put on 10 pounds of muscle in 8 months. I'm not saying you did (you probably didn't), but it's totally possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2014, 06:26 AM
 
7,970 posts, read 11,629,165 times
Reputation: 10458
2 lbs a week is really pretty good. If you can keep that up, or even 1 lb a week consistently for a long haul that is great. Give your skin and body time to adjust.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2014, 12:27 AM
 
32 posts, read 98,622 times
Reputation: 31
I think you should be feel happy at least you lose weight, there is no point of feeling discouraged. There are many people who are working hard and still there is no weight loss results. I think you are on a right track, don't lose hope and do your best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2014, 03:38 PM
 
2,181 posts, read 2,133,193 times
Reputation: 3148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
8 pounds in 3 weeks?!
That means I could lose my exact 16 pound desired loss
in 6 weeks? (Damn ankle sprain...I limped for 5 months!)
YAY!
I'm inspired now!!!

I was thinking I could comfortably lost 1.5-2 pounds a week.
2 pounds ( 2 bricks of butter of pure fat) a week is alot, tho....
1.5 seems more realistic....without doing HCG, I mean.
You'd have to drop your caloric intake down pretty low but 2 pounds of fat a week (as opposing to scale weight) is do-able. Thats around 7,000 calories, cut your daily intake by 1,000 and there ya go, roughly speaking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:49 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top