U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 12:22 PM

125 posts, read 110,772 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure if this goes here. So, feel free to move. I just had lunch with a friend. She's nice, but she's obese. Every time we're around food, she brings up how she's a picky eater or doesn't eat much. I just agree, but in the back of my mind I'm thinking "but all you eat is bad food". You know, sugary foods or junk food. Like she won't eat her whole meal, but will eat dessert. I've noticed with people who are in good shape the majority aren't picky. I've noticed with a lot of overweight people they're "picky". Only like food that has artificial things. Of course there are skinny people who nothing but junk and overweight people who a variety of foods, but I feel like most people I've met who are overweight are "picky" eaters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2014, 02:48 PM

5,342 posts, read 6,411,027 times
I also have an obese friend who is a 'picky eater'. She tends to like blander foods and likes things made a certain way. She is not flexible at all when it comes to changing what she eats.

Old 11-23-2014, 08:03 PM

11,148 posts, read 20,356,190 times
It's very possible to be obese while enjoying a very wide variety of foods. I love food. I love trying new foods, experimenting with recipes, making complicated desserts, etc. In order to lose weight, I have had to give up a lot of the foods I love and eat a more plain diet, not because all the foods I liked were bad for me, but because I was thinking about food all the time while planning our wonderful meals.

Old 11-24-2014, 11:17 AM

3,311 posts, read 3,536,469 times
Not to sound mean, but if you "don't eat that much" then you wouldn't be obese. Maybe she doesn't eat that much of a variety. Or is indeed picky, and doesn't like vegetables.

I had an obese friend and she would not eat all day but then probably gorge by the end or maybe the next day. I think her metabolism was really messed up and that's why, if she did try to lose weight, it would be hard.

Old 11-24-2014, 01:11 PM

276 posts, read 244,926 times
You might have something there. I'm average height, average weight and I eat pretty much anything. I do actively monitor my weight and just cut back on carbs and fats if the scale starts creeping over 180. On a day to day basis I use skim milk (lowest fat), almost never use butter, nor do I put sugar on anything. I drink tea weak and black, and never order soda in restaurants, just water with lemon. Because of this diet choice I don't need to work at dieting, maintaining a healthy weight happens automatically. I've never met an obese person that was willing to eat how I do though.

My ex is very obese and was a picky eater. Anything rich (fats) and sweet she loved and refused to change her diet. It was a major reason we split up.

I've read that many obese people get a great deal of pleasure (happiness) from the foods they eat. It's awful hard to reject that pleasure especially if they don't have other sources of happiness.

Old 11-24-2014, 04:18 PM

11,148 posts, read 20,356,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neosec View Post
You might have something there. I'm average height, average weight and I eat pretty much anything. I do actively monitor my weight and just cut back on carbs and fats if the scale starts creeping over 180. On a day to day basis I use skim milk (lowest fat), almost never use butter, nor do I put sugar on anything. I drink tea weak and black, and never order soda in restaurants, just water with lemon. Because of this diet choice I don't need to work at dieting, maintaining a healthy weight happens automatically. I've never met an obese person that was willing to eat how I do though.

My ex is very obese and was a picky eater. Anything rich (fats) and sweet she loved and refused to change her diet. It was a major reason we split up.

I've read that many obese people get a great deal of pleasure (happiness) from the foods they eat. It's awful hard to reject that pleasure especially if they don't have other sources of happiness.
My husband will eat half a loaf of bread with half a stick of butter for breakfast, 6 or 8 tacos, a whole pizza or 3 big hamburgers for dinner, loves junk food, won't eat veggies, won't try anything new, has rules about what days he can eat "wet" food (meaning anything with a sauce or gravy), buys bags of candy or chips or big boxes of pastries and finishes them all, drinks koolaid or tea with sugar. He weighs 185 and has maintained that weight for the last 10 years with no exercise, no calorie counting and no effort.

Some people can just do that, others can't.

Old 11-24-2014, 04:46 PM

2,620 posts, read 2,512,907 times
All the picky eaters I know are thin.

Old 11-24-2014, 05:25 PM

3,508 posts, read 3,184,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by giveitome View Post
I'm not sure if this goes here. So, feel free to move. I just had lunch with a friend. She's nice, but she's obese. Every time we're around food, she brings up how she's a picky eater or doesn't eat much. I just agree, but in the back of my mind I'm thinking "but all you eat is bad food". You know, sugary foods or junk food. Like she won't eat her whole meal, but will eat dessert. I've noticed with people who are in good shape the majority aren't picky. I've noticed with a lot of overweight people they're "picky". Only like food that has artificial things. Of course there are skinny people who nothing but junk and overweight people who a variety of foods, but I feel like most people I've met who are overweight are "picky" eaters.
Not sure what your question is here or what exactly you are trying to say.

Some people just are unable to make healthy choices when it comes to their nutrition. They let their mouths lead instead of using their intellect/brains. The "pickyness" is often just a ploy to make others seem to think they are very careful about what goes into their bodies but in reality, they choose the most unhealthy stuff to grub on.

Old 11-24-2014, 10:50 PM

125 posts, read 110,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
Not sure what your question is here or what exactly you are trying to say.

Some people just are unable to make healthy choices when it comes to their nutrition. They let their mouths lead instead of using their intellect/brains. The "pickyness" is often just a ploy to make others seem to think they are very careful about what goes into their bodies but in reality, they choose the most unhealthy stuff to grub on.
I've just noted that people I've known who eat a variety of foods, or at least willing to try them, tend to be in better shape than people who refuse to try new foods. I was just wondering if the majority of picky eaters were in good shape or overweight.

Old 12-01-2014, 07:46 PM

134 posts, read 128,677 times
I think most folks have old favorites and standbys. I eat pretty much the same rotation every month. I'd love to eat out more, but I just can't afford it, so that's what I do. I am not at all a picky eater, but I am a monotonous eater! I weigh somewhere from 132-138 lbs depending. I long distance run, though, so I eat really high carb. I'd say I eat 6-8 potatoes every day, with a salad, a piece of fruit or two and a bean burrito, chili or soup somewhere in there.

I do know what the OP is getting at though, and anecdotally, the two people I know who live off of chicken fingers and mac and cheese are skinny. That of course, does not mean " in good shape".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or