U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2014, 02:41 AM

1 posts, read 727 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,

My names Alan and I'm 24 years old.

I've tried and tried and failed... I gave up for 8+ months and have decided to make a change.

In my down time without training I'm embarrassed to say that I've gotten fat.

After trying numerous times without getting the results I wanted, ("The Look") I'd given up and turned into a slob.

-AND-

To top it off my dad has just been diagnosed with diabetes, so now that I know that this runs in the family it's time to pull my finger out and make a change.

So starting from now I've started a blog and I'm going to document my fitness and training tale to show my journey from flabby and over weight to getting that body I've always wanted.

I decided to post it here online so that I am now going to be accountable for my actions and could really do with your help to keep my motivation up and to really keep at it.

So please any advice you'd like to give or any words of motivation you'd like to give please respond to my thread.

I'd love to hear from you all

Regards,
Alan

P.S. If you'd like to see my blog then check it out at [url]http://physiqueofthegods.com[/url] I'll be updating it regularly adding any tips and tricks I pickup along the way.

Cheers and look forward to hearing from you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2014, 03:53 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,042,090 times
Most important thing you need to understand is that weight loss stands or falls with diet. Fitness and training is a nice supplement but if your diet is inadequate you won't succeed, at least not for very long. So I suggest instead of focusing on physical exercises you begin your new attempt at getting ripped in the kitchen.

Old 12-02-2014, 04:39 AM

14,559 posts, read 8,386,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroTrashed View Post
Most important thing you need to understand is that weight loss stands or falls with diet. Fitness and training is a nice supplement but if your diet is inadequate you won't succeed, at least not for very long. So I suggest instead of focusing on physical exercises you begin your new attempt at getting ripped in the kitchen.
This. You can't outexercise a bad diet. And I've tried. And when I was trying to lose a little weight, I learned this the hard way. I don't mind the exercise part, but on the days I went to the Chinese buffet, not only did the pounds not come off, they piled on, even if I did loads of cardio that same morning

Old 12-02-2014, 09:14 AM

479 posts, read 1,856,946 times
I agree with what the others have said regarding how important it is to watch your diet. I suggest that you cut out sugar and focus on eating a low carb diet. The first couple of days are the hardest, but one you get going the cravings go away and the weight will start to melt away. Its also important to drink lots of water too btw.
With your age, I suspect that you will be able to loose weight and build muscle pretty quickly. Imo, your primary focus should be on your eating followed by weight lifting. Try to really push yourself with weights and build muscle that way.

Old 12-02-2014, 09:24 AM

15,130 posts, read 11,998,568 times
I've been watching all the "Beach Body" infomercials with the P90X guy, Hornton?
...and
Shane with the 25 min thing, Turbo something, Hip Hop abs....I can not imagine
doing these and NOT becoming 'ripped'!!

You go ... more power to ya, Alan!

Old 12-02-2014, 01:43 PM

3,275 posts, read 4,745,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I've been watching all the "Beach Body" infomercials with the P90X guy, Hornton?
...and
Shane with the 25 min thing, Turbo something, Hip Hop abs....I can not imagine
doing these and NOT becoming 'ripped'!!

You go ... more power to ya, Alan!
Well, I don't have to imagine it because I've done it. It's true, you cannot out-exercise a bad diet. I did the P90X program and my body barely changed. If I lost weight it was so little that no one could tell. I sure was sore and tired though!

For the OP, I believe it starts with diet. Being that you are a young guy, the primal/paleo approach would probably work really well for you. It seems to yield amazing results with young men.

Success Story Summaries | Mark's Daily Apple

Old 12-02-2014, 02:25 PM

4,608 posts, read 3,770,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
For the OP, I believe it starts with diet. Being that you are a young guy, the primal/paleo approach would probably work really well for you. It seems to yield amazing results with young men.

Success Story Summaries | Mark's Daily Apple
And as an added bonus, it's a good diet to get on anyway with diabetics in the family.

Old 12-02-2014, 08:25 PM

3,275 posts, read 4,745,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivemind31 View Post
And as an added bonus, it's a good diet to get on anyway with diabetics in the family.
Definitely!

Old 12-03-2014, 12:41 PM

1 posts, read 634 times
I believe weightloss and health begin in the kitchen. Eating whole plant-based foods are the best for you and have shown to reverse diabetes type 2 and other issues, often people can go off their meds as a result of a plant-based diet. I eat high carb, low fat. No oil, no butter, no dairy and of course no meat. And before you say what am I going to eat....let me tell you, there's PLENTY! I eat as much as I want and I never go hungry!

With that said, that is something you would have to want to do. But let me tell you this... I regret not doing it sooner. I lost a lot of weight fast and have never felt better. Any symptoms I had are gone. I feel like I'm 25 and I'm not, LOL! I also have labs that are amazing. Even my doctor called and said "whatever you're doing, just tell me how to do it" and he's a triathlete! So it all comes back to how you treat your body, what you put into it and the rest all comes naturally.

Old 12-06-2014, 06:20 PM

5 posts, read 5,087 times
Muscle building and fat loss are opposites. So the first thing is to get a lower fat percentage which equals a more defined body. Then you can bulk up later if you want. What this means is that you have to lose weight while maintaining lean muscle mass. This means that you need a calorie deficit and need to easy enough protein. Also you need to keep lifting around the same weight and not try to go too high. Otherwise your muscles can't recover because of the calorie deficit. I'll have to look at your blog to see what I can suggest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss