U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 11:45 AM

4,608 posts, read 3,770,207 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroTrashed View Post
If your diet is healthy and solid a cheat day is not going to make a dent. It's quite hard to gain weight if your diet is not structurally bad.
This has always been true for me. I simply show the best results immediately after a cheat day for some reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2014, 01:37 PM

13,889 posts, read 19,073,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnTice View Post
There are some bad effects also on having cheat meals. Some of them are listed below:
Your Body Won’t Fully Adapt to the Healthy Diet
Explain why you mean by "adapting".

Quote:
Cheating Does Not Raise Metabolism or Prevent “Starvation Mode”
A single cheat meal? No, but that's not its intended purpose.

Quote:
If You Pig Out on Junk Food, it Can Feed The Addiction
Cheat meal =/= "pig out". Fallacy of extremes.

Quote:
You Might Binge and Eat Way Too Much

You May Feel Guilty Afterwards
I may walk outside and get struck by lightning too.

Old 12-09-2014, 01:00 AM

3,508 posts, read 3,176,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivemind31 View Post
Effects of a cheat day/cheat meal on your diet plan

I'm interested in other people's experiences with cheat days or cheat meals, and even some of the science behind its effects from those of you who know more about this stuff than I do!
Cheat days are HORRIBLE idea. Especially for people who have not yet attained their goals. Its like a recovering alcoholic having a "cheat day" where they allow themselves to have a drink. Or someone who is trying to quit smoking who allows themselves a "cheat day" to have a couple of cigarettes. HORRIBLE idea.

The ONLY time I eat something outside of my normal nutrition plan (other than some beer) is when I am maintaining at my goal weight AND fitness level. For someone who is trying to undo, or develop healthy eating habits after years of poor nutrition, having a "cheat day" is absolutely a horrible idea.

Old 12-09-2014, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
Cheat days are HORRIBLE idea. Especially for people who have not yet attained their goals. Its like a recovering alcoholic having a "cheat day" where they allow themselves to have a drink. Or someone who is trying to quit smoking who allows themselves a "cheat day" to have a couple of cigarettes. HORRIBLE idea.

The ONLY time I eat something outside of my normal nutrition plan (other than some beer) is when I am maintaining at my goal weight AND fitness level. For someone who is trying to undo, or develop healthy eating habits after years of poor nutrition, having a "cheat day" is absolutely a horrible idea.
I'm more interested in the biological effects than the psychological/discipline effects, which I'm all too familiar with

Old 12-09-2014, 08:57 AM

5,322 posts, read 6,396,368 times
Cheat days are cheating oneself out of learning to eat properly for the long haul.

Old 12-09-2014, 09:02 AM

15,254 posts, read 16,767,035 times
Not to get off topic, but I hate the term "cheat day" because IMO, it confuses morality with food, which I think is a dangerous way to think about eating. It implies that when you eat one way, you're "good" and when you eat another way you're "bad." Deciding how you're going to eat at a particular meal, or on a particular day, is not a battle of good versus evil, and when you think about it that way, you may be "tempted" (note the moral implications) to eat something that is contrary to your overall health goal. Once you've "cheated" or have been "weak," it's that much easier to justify that choice the next day. "Oh well, I just can't be good."

Instead, I think it's a much better mindset, and more conducive to making choices in keeping with your health and fitness goals, to make eating choices in a mindful way based on what you know about the food (calories, nutrition, what it does for your energy level, etc.) and how it fits into your overall plan. You can make mindful decisions to eat a certain way for 13 days in a row and make an equally mindful decision on the 14th day, but it doesn't mean you're "cheating." It means you're looking objectively at your health and fitness goals and still making choices in keeping with that goal, even when the choice is that you're going to eat some pizza and have a beer. You're still in charge of the choice, and the next day it makes sense to eat baked chicken and a pile of vegetables.

Old 12-09-2014, 09:03 AM

268 posts, read 340,349 times
I have had a few since I started eating healthy and working out (4 months); I notice the difference for sure when I measure my weight daily. However; through the course of the week it seems to flatten out and I was still able to burn 2.5-3.5lbs a week. Each person is different I suppose, I do think it is a bad idea in general but having the freedom to cheat a little bit to enjoy diversification in foods is ok generally. Of course there is no scientific analysis behind my statement and in hind sight I wish I hadn't had a cheat day but it does keep me motivated to burn a bit extra after eating unhealthier than I should be.

Old 12-09-2014, 09:59 AM

How people choose to address the psychology of their eating habits is a matter of personal taste. If it works, do it.

As for me, as long as I continue to show measurable, tangible benefits from doing so (usually in the form of decreased bf%), then I'll continue to do it, roughly once a week.

Old 12-09-2014, 10:11 AM

2,760 posts, read 2,752,440 times
I could never figure the cheat day out. Sounds like a crazy diet.

I don't waste my cheat days on anything less then beer! Lots and lots and lots of cold, wet, beer !

Can you imagine having a healthy diet and then needing to cheat on it with IHOP pancakes? Anyway, it's all upside down.

Old 12-09-2014, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPolo View Post
Can you imagine having a healthy diet and then needing to cheat on it with IHOP pancakes? Anyway, it's all upside down.
Absolutely, yes! Smothered in peanut butter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss