U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2014, 02:49 PM

2,620 posts, read 2,513,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivemind31 View Post
I'm more interested in the biological effects than the psychological/discipline effects, which I'm all too familiar with
Biologically, a cheat day unravels two weeks of hard work losing weight. Then I have to start all over again. Except the next time I've got to lose those three pounds again, it's even harder. Welcome to 50.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2014, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Cheat days are cheating oneself out of learning to eat properly for the long haul.
Through lots and lots of trial and error, I have finally come to this too. Hardest for me has been defining what "properly" should mean for me, which I've discovered is as individual as there are people. But ultimately, you've got to get there or you'll just yo yo forever.

Old 12-09-2014, 03:22 PM

4,608 posts, read 3,781,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
Biologically, a cheat day unravels two weeks of hard work losing weight. Then I have to start all over again. Except the next time I've got to lose those three pounds again, it's even harder. Welcome to 50.
Well, I know that's not true. I see what you mean, but as you pointed out earlier, I'm not eating 2 weeks' worth of calories in one of these meals. My math tells me it's closer to 500, which would undo basically one meal for me and I'm ok with that from a discipline perspective. Not only that, but "losing weight" doesn't even have to be the goal. In my case, I'm more focused on body fat loss (and approximate weight maintenance, not loss)...and in my experience, it's always registered lower the day after a cheat day/meal, which is counterintuitive.

Obviously, there could be a number of factors here (I could have been undereating on the regular days, overtraining, etc.) and that's why I was interested in other people's opinions and experiences as well.

Old 12-09-2014, 04:04 PM

13,920 posts, read 19,105,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
Cheat days are HORRIBLE idea. Especially for people who have not yet attained their goals. Its like a recovering alcoholic having a "cheat day" where they allow themselves to have a drink. Or someone who is trying to quit smoking who allows themselves a "cheat day" to have a couple of cigarettes. HORRIBLE idea.

The ONLY time I eat something outside of my normal nutrition plan (other than some beer) is when I am maintaining at my goal weight AND fitness level. For someone who is trying to undo, or develop healthy eating habits after years of poor nutrition, having a "cheat day" is absolutely a horrible idea.
That is EXTREMELY hyperbolic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Cheat days are cheating oneself out of learning to eat properly for the long haul.
How so? Logically, the exact opposite is true.

Old 12-09-2014, 09:15 PM

5,641 posts, read 2,849,765 times
Quote:
1) It helps, for lack of a scientific analysis, to "kickstart" my metabolism, which typically sinks if I'm cutting calories.
Perhaps it's already been said, cutting calories is one thing but cutting essential fats is going to hurt. Fats are not bad. (Saturated fats are suspect and should be kept to a minimum). Considering what refined carbs and sugars do, you might consider checking your nutrient intake. Try snacking on cashews, they're amazing. Eat plenty of avocado too. Two high satiety foods and very nutritious. Of course there are others too. Keep your omega-3 oil intake up.

Hope that helps.

Old 12-10-2014, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
Perhaps it's already been said, cutting calories is one thing but cutting essential fats is going to hurt. Fats are not bad. (Saturated fats are suspect and should be kept to a minimum). Considering what refined carbs and sugars do, you might consider checking your nutrient intake. Try snacking on cashews, they're amazing. Eat plenty of avocado too. Two high satiety foods and very nutritious. Of course there are others too. Keep your omega-3 oil intake up.

Hope that helps.
Definitely all over that. My day-to-day diet is kind of a modified paleo, plus dairy, and I have fish oil supplements as well. And I'm snacking on cashews as I type this I've never been a huge fan of avocado, but I know its benefits.

Old 12-10-2014, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivemind31 View Post
Well, I know that's not true.
For you, maybe. But I thought you were asking about us. Seriously, if you're only looking for people to validate your opinion about something, please say so and save us all the bother.

Old 12-10-2014, 11:14 AM

13,920 posts, read 19,105,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
For you, maybe. But I thought you were asking about us. Seriously, if you're only looking for people to validate your opinion about something, please say so and save us all the bother.
What you're talking about isn't a matter of opinion. It's a matter of biological and physiological fact. There is no way a cheat meal (or even cheat day) is going to "unravel two weeks of work" unless you absolutely go nuts.

Old 12-10-2014, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
What you're talking about isn't a matter of opinion. It's a matter of biological and physiological fact. There is no way a cheat meal (or even cheat day) is going to "unravel two weeks of work" unless you absolutely go nuts.
How people define a "cheat day" is entirely personal, as is the amount of weight a person is able to lose in two weeks. And even biological "facts" completely depend on a person's metabolism, their age, their genetics, and a gazillion other medical conditions they could be dealing with.

If the presumption is all people are exactly equal, then what was the purpose of this question? Honestly, after three pages of posts, I still haven't figured that one out yet.

Old 12-10-2014, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
To be fair, I wasn't aware that Lori was only speaking about her(?) experience and thought she was suggesting that a cheat day would negatively impact most people that strongly.

You're right, that would have to be a hell of a cheat day, though!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss