Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 10:34 AM

322 posts, read 243,098 times

Advertisements

Can anyone share their experiences with diet supplements that will really work for a man over 50 and very overweight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2015, 11:08 AM

30 posts, read 33,558 times
Diet supplements don't work for weight loss. The entire weight loss supplement industry is a sham.

You need to eat healthy and exercise. There are no shortcuts. The easiest thing to do is start a walking regimen and to stop eating processed foods. If you do just that you'll be off to a great start in no time.

Old 01-05-2015, 11:19 AM

10,385 posts, read 10,650,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT897 View Post
Can anyone share their experiences with diet supplements that will really work for a man over 50 and very overweight.
If you're looking for a supplement that will help to lose weight than you are wasting your time.

If you're looking for supplements for overall health, than I would suggest vitamin B-12, vitamin D and magnesium. These are the only supplements that you may not be getting an optimal amount from your diet. If you want to be safe, then also take a multivitamin with 100% of the recommended daily allowances

Old 01-05-2015, 11:23 AM

3,308 posts, read 4,557,236 times
I am not an expert in any way, but I'm thinking if you think you're deficient in a certain vitamin, then check what foods have that vitamin and eat more of them. From what I've heard, that is the best way to get that vitamin into you.

Old 01-05-2015, 11:33 AM

10,385 posts, read 10,650,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
I am not an expert in any way, but I'm thinking if you think you're deficient in a certain vitamin, then check what foods have that vitamin and eat more of them. From what I've heard, that is the best way to get that vitamin into you.
You could get your vitamin D levels checked. If you're deficient, your doctor will likely put you on very large does of vitamin D supplements. It would be virtually impossible to get your levels up through diet alone.

BTW, people with a body mass index of 30 or greater often have low blood levels of vitamin D.

Old 01-05-2015, 12:18 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,812,763 times
If your diet is full of a variety of whole, fresh foods there is no need for supplements. A lot of times you are wasting money. Some vitamins are better to take than others C & D are good choices. No need for b12 unless your body is deficient in it. Talk to your doctor and see what they recommend. You will get a million differing opinions on here.

Old 01-05-2015, 12:39 PM

Maybe supplement was not the right word. I do take a multivitamin and have for years. Doctor always tells me keep doing what your doing but loose weight. I did. I was at 360, dropped to 294 in about 6 months, doctor said I was loosing to fast and now I am up to 375. I just want the desire to eat all the time to stop somehow.

Old 01-05-2015, 01:01 PM

2,465 posts, read 2,759,921 times
Quote:
Maybe supplement was not the right word. I do take a multivitamin and have for years. Doctor always tells me keep doing what your doing but loose weight. I did. I was at 360, dropped to 294 in about 6 months, doctor said I was loosing to fast and now I am up to 375. I just want the desire to eat all the time to stop somehow.
A little over 10 pounds per month is not loosing to fast, imo. Average weightloss is 1-2 pounds per week. At your weight, you can easily lose more than that.

Have you ever met with a nutritionist?

Old 01-05-2015, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed hour View Post
A little over 10 pounds per month is not loosing to fast, imo. Average weightloss is 1-2 pounds per week. At your weight, you can easily lose more than that.

Have you ever met with a nutritionist?
I was eating well and loosing like that. I was able to come off of both my blood pressure medication and cholesterol med's. And I still am off both of them. I am taking fish oil to get my cholesterol up because it's too low. At least my good is too low. They told me to take the fish oil and that would take care of it. It was funny to seem them look at my numbers and my weight. I eat very little meat and what I eat is fish and chicken. I do not eat sugar any more. If I sweeten my oatmeal I eat every morning it is with Molasses for the potassium. I add blueberries to my daily oatmeal as well.

I have never met with a nutritionist.

Old 01-05-2015, 02:12 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,812,763 times
Quote:
I was eating well and loosing like that. I was able to come off of both my blood pressure medication and cholesterol med's. And I still am off both of them. I am taking fish oil to get my cholesterol up because it's too low. At least my good is too low. They told me to take the fish oil and that would take care of it. It was funny to seem them look at my numbers and my weight. I eat very little meat and what I eat is fish and chicken. I do not eat sugar any more. If I sweeten my oatmeal I eat every morning it is with Molasses for the potassium. I add blueberries to my daily oatmeal as well.

I have never met with a nutritionist.
Are you eating enough fat? Fat makes you feel full and is not the enemy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss