U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 07:14 AM

678 posts, read 566,273 times

Advertisements

My dad is overwieght and my fear is I'll be overwight too but ive been dieting and somewhat excersising. But almost nothings comes of it.!! i think i may have gained weight? i noticed my pants are a lot smaller than usual but ive been washing my clothes the wrong way so i dont know if they've just shrunk and im over reacting! i need some expert advise. If my dad is fat will i be just as fat as him even if i excersie and eat right like i have been doing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2014, 09:10 AM

4,608 posts, read 3,770,897 times
Genetics plays a role, but often, not as big of a role as we'd think. More often than that, our eating habits are learned in a family environment, and that's a bigger cause for family members having similar builds or diet-related health problems.

You still want to be aware of a pre-disposition for disease and such, but a good diet and exercise should help you overcome any sort of genetic bias.

Old 12-10-2014, 12:08 PM

11,140 posts, read 20,313,684 times
What health conditions does your dad have? If diabetes runs in the family, that can certainly play a role in predisposing you to being overweight. That wouldn't mean it was impossible for you to lose weight or to be a healthy weight, it would just mean that you should eat lower carb if you wanted to lose weight.

It sounds like you need to get a scale, and start weighing yourself once a week. You can get a tape measure and keep a chart of your body measurements to track changes over time. Sometimes when you start working out a lot, you won't lose weight but will notice smaller measurements, so keeping track of measurements can help you realize you've made progress even if the scale hasn't changed.

Old 12-10-2014, 12:25 PM

3,942 posts, read 3,238,423 times
As PP's have said, you can certainly be genetically predisposed to being overweight. That just means a person will have to work all that much harder to maintain a healthy weight. I personally think a lot of people use genetics as an excuse as to why they are overweight. I am not saying it isn't incredibly hard to watch your diet and exercise, because it is. Even so, weight is virtually 100% within a person's own control (assuming no major medical issue).

I remember I was watching Oprah many years ago and Dr. Oz was on there (I know, I know). Anyway, he was talking about weight loss, and he made a comment that really stuck with me. It went something along the lines of "Skinny people think all fat people are lazy, and fat people think all skinny people are just lucky". Neither one of those things is entirely true.

Old 12-10-2014, 02:07 PM

372 posts, read 589,094 times
First of all, don't worry.

We all look like our parents in one way or another, we grow older, part of the aging process. Your concerns though are being overweight, which might not ever happen. My father was overweight and though both my brothers have similarities to him, they are not overweight and work out on a regular basis. Since you notice your clothes are getting smaller, you should go get some blood work at your PCP for thyroid and glucose levels. It is good to always keep a check on that. Thyroid problems seem to have increased where I live, which has included myself personally.

Take care and best wishes <3

Old 12-10-2014, 02:14 PM

2,620 posts, read 2,508,598 times
It's as genetic as hair color, height, disease, and pretty much everything else we commonly accept as inherited.

Old 12-10-2014, 04:19 PM

372 posts, read 589,094 times
As I was driving today, I kept thinking about you. I know that males have body issues like women as I have 2 teenagers both boy and girl. No one is perfect, even the most glamorous of people have problem areas. Don't get so hung up on this and remember that you are ok. As I pointed out before. that if you feel something is wrong, go talk to your doctor and get your bloodwork done. Keep everyone informed.. happy holidays.

Old 12-29-2014, 09:34 PM

8 posts, read 4,979 times
You may be a little large due to genetic but you can work on it just like anyone including the greatest athlete in the world they are all different shapes and sizes, It just they push hard to get the results they want. You will have to play with your strength for example a tall skinny person may be great at marathon running while a short board person may be good at sprinting or vise versus.

You may be putting on muscles but your layer of fat covers it which is why your weight does not move, What have you been dieting on maybe you need to take a good look at what you are eating and go for healthy unprocessed food it does not have to be expensive at all if you plan correctly.

Review your goal and ask yourself what you are trying to achive.

Old 01-02-2015, 12:43 PM

16,569 posts, read 28,657,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivemind31 View Post
Genetics plays a role, but often, not as big of a role as we'd think. More often than that, our eating habits are learned in a family environment, and that's a bigger cause for family members having similar builds or diet-related health problems.

You still want to be aware of a pre-disposition for disease and such, but a good diet and exercise should help you overcome any sort of genetic bias.
Good points, but in my view it's almost impossible to find foods at the store that allow you to have a proper diet. Food products that are supposed to be good for you are loaded with sugar, salt, hormones,and antibiotics (in dairy and meats), and so on. Most foods are the store are loaded with sugar, salt, or a combination of both. But sugar is what generations of Americans have been fed with in recent years.

The saying that, "you are what you eat" is true. Being overweight has a lot more to do with what and how much of it we eat, than genetics.

Last edited by RayinAK; 01-02-2015 at 12:54 PM..

Old 01-02-2015, 01:15 PM

5,326 posts, read 6,398,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Good points, but in my view it's almost impossible to find foods at the store that allow you to have a proper diet. Food products that are supposed to be good for you are loaded with sugar, salt, hormones,and antibiotics (in dairy and meats), and so on. Most foods are the store are loaded with sugar, salt, or a combination of both. But sugar is what generations of Americans have been fed with in recent years.

The saying that, "you are what you eat" is true. Being overweight has a lot more to do with what and how much of it we eat, than genetics.
Shop the out aisles where the fresh stuff is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or