Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2015, 01:19 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,179,283 times

Advertisements

I'm what would be considered a pretty fit person. 5'10" 165lbs 12% body fat. I don't look like a Hollywood action star, but I'm fairly muscular and have visible abs when I'm in shape, which is almost always. This is the thing, I actually don't have very good genetics, as I'm always on a very strict diet and exercise program, and most of the people in my family are obese. Because of this, I have the ability to gain weight at an incredible rate and often do during the holidays or when I'm on vacation. This year, I gained 17 lbs in 10 days, which isn't that unusual for me this time of year. I always go back to my routine on the first, or when I get back from a vacation, and I typically lose the weight in about the same amount of time it took me to gain it.

Anyways, I work in healthcare, so I'm well aware of how unhealthy this is (so they say), but I'm wondering if there are older people on this forum (over 50) that have done this for years, and what is you're health like now? Has it ever really caused any real health concerns for you? I'm not wondering about yoyo dieters, but people that have stayed in pretty good shape most of their lives but tend to binge a few times a year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2015, 01:28 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,812,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky4life View Post
I'm what would be considered a pretty fit person. 5'10" 165lbs 12% body fat. I don't look like a Hollywood action star, but I'm fairly muscular and have visible abs when I'm in shape, which is almost always. This is the thing, I actually don't have very good genetics, as I'm always on a very strict diet and exercise program, and most of the people in my family are obese. Because of this, I have the ability to gain weight at an incredible rate and often do during the holidays or when I'm on vacation. This year, I gained 17 lbs in 10 days, which isn't that unusual for me this time of year. I always go back to my routine on the first, or when I get back from a vacation, and I typically lose the weight in about the same amount of time it took me to gain it.

Anyways, I work in healthcare, so I'm well aware of how unhealthy this is (so they say), but I'm wondering if there are older people on this forum (over 50) that have done this for years, and what is you're health like now? Has it ever really caused any real health concerns for you? I'm not wondering about yoyo dieters, but people that have stayed in pretty good shape most of their lives but tend to binge a few times a year.
I am 53 and my happy weight is between 122-125. I am 5'3. I am currently at 130. It is not unusually for me to gain 5 or so pounds once in awhile. I try not to, but sometimes life gets in the way. I plan on being back to my happy weight by the middle of February. I do not believe this has compromised my health in any way.

Old 01-04-2015, 07:02 PM

4,613 posts, read 4,792,673 times
I know I'm not in your target response demographic, but I thought I'd lend my experience anyway. Ignore it if you want

Back when I was a 2-sport athlete, I would gain/lose 30 pounds every 6 months, bulking in the fall/winter and cutting in the spring/summer. I did this for about 8 years in my teens/20's and haven't had any effects from it as a 35 year old except that it's harder to do now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss