Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2015, 01:11 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,276,554 times

Advertisements

They're all so boring I wouldn't use any of them. If I'm going to be indoors for me it has to be a treadmill otherwise I get bored to death way too fast.

I'd just prefer to go outside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2015, 09:16 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,508,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
They're all so boring I wouldn't use any of them. If I'm going to be indoors for me it has to be a treadmill otherwise I get bored to death way too fast.

I'd just prefer to go outside.
Me too.
Why waste money on junk that's only going to clutter up the garage fairly quickly ?
To the OP - open your front door and go for a long walk at a decent pace preferably in steamy hot temperatures then come back and jump under a cold shower.
So much more interesting and just as good for the cv rate as any of those machines.

Old 06-08-2015, 09:39 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,812,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
Me too.
Why waste money on junk that's only going to clutter up the garage fairly quickly ?
To the OP - open your front door and go for a long walk at a decent pace preferably in steamy hot temperatures then come back and jump under a cold shower.
So much more interesting and just as good for the cv rate as any of those machines.
While I agree with going outside over being inside, perhaps this person would prefer to be inside. Different strokes for different folks. No need to make them feel bad about it.

Old 06-08-2015, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
While I agree with going outside over being inside, perhaps this person would prefer to be inside. Different strokes for different folks. No need to make them feel bad about it.
Not trying to make them feel bad but pointing out that keeping fit and healthy doesn't have to cost money.
Often the simplest and most successful ways are free.
Like the Candian Army 5BX exercises from the 1950s. Just 12 minutes a day.Which can also be done inside.
Some things never change.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpGGr1OpK3E

Old 06-08-2015, 09:50 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,351,512 times
Quote:
Me too.
My co-worker has such bad allergies that her medications don't really work and one day she only spent about 10-20 minutes outside---fast forward to HOURS later she was still sneezing non-stop and feeling awful the rest of the night. (I work third shift.)

When it's cold, my husband's asthma flares up and he can't really breath outside very well, especially if he starts exercising/walking quickly/etc.

These are just two examples of why some people want to workout indoors. You can't win---people complain people are too lazy and when they want to work out, people have something to say about it anyway.

Old 06-08-2015, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
My co-worker has such bad allergies that her medications don't really work and one day she only spent about 10-20 minutes outside---fast forward to HOURS later she was still sneezing non-stop and feeling awful the rest of the night. (I work third shift.)

When it's cold, my husband's asthma flares up and he can't really breath outside very well, especially if he starts exercising/walking quickly/etc.

These are just two examples of why some people want to workout indoors. You can't win---people complain people are too lazy and when they want to work out, people have something to say about it anyway.
There's always an excuse for some people.

Old 06-08-2015, 10:17 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,812,763 times
Quote:
That is a valid one. Also people have different work schedules and maybe they cannot work out until later at night. My friend who runs outside all the time tried to do that when she went back to visit her folks in NC. The neighborhood roads had no sidewalks or shoulders. There was literally no place to run except in the road with cars whizzing by at 40 mph.

Old 06-08-2015, 10:34 AM

983 posts, read 1,054,686 times
Exercise outside may not work for some people.

The OP asked which is better, elliptical or exercise bike - they both work well for cardio. Anything that allows you to get your heart rate up for a period of time is good. The CDC says an effective workout is one that elevates your heart for at least 10 minutes. And you should have 150 minutes of effective workouts per week, minimum.

Exercise equipment should be sturdy and reliable - stuff that often needs repair and/or adjustment will discourage you from using it. It should also have a variety of programs and resistance levels so that you won't get bored using it. You should actually go to a store and test the equipment - see how it feels - and then look for the same piece online if you want, and get a better price that way.

I was not impressed by any of the equipment that you linked to. It looked like cheap junk that you would probably not use for long. Waste of money.

Schwinn does decent equipment. Lemond (sp?) is another good brand. I've used Star Trac in PT clinics. We had a Nordic Trac bike here at home - it was a piece of junk. Now we have Precor, which I recommend highly. Precor makes solid, reliable equipment that is made here in the USA.

You can often find good deals on exercise equipment on Craigslist and at a used equipment store like Play It Again Sports - might be one of those in your area. Used can be a good deal, but it will usually not come with any kind of warranty. On the other hand, something really reliable like Precor will probably not need a warranty - won't need repairs because it is so good.

If you get a reliable, quality piece of equipment, you will be more likely to use it. Just be prepared to pay more for that equipment, especially if you have to buy it new.

Old 06-09-2015, 08:03 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Whichever one you will use every day is the best.

With exercise equipment, you get what you pay for. Don't skimp, and buy the best piece of equipment you can afford.

Old 06-10-2015, 06:36 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,351,512 times
Quote:
Uh yeah except I'm talking about people who are active and people who LIKE to be outside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss