Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 04:49 PM

1,913 posts, read 8,906,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
I also noticed the high cost of eating right. Those fast-food joints are CHEAP compared to anything healthy. Cooking yourself veggies from the market isn't too expensive, but it takes a lot of time and effort and you have to shop around so you don't get ripped off on prices. The cheapest decent prepared food will run you more than $5 a meal, minimum.

Is it really expensive to eat healthy or cheap to eat bad?

It is all about perspective.
I am a total price watcher and a very thrifty person. I have found cans of vegetables sometimes
3 for $1.00, or tuna fish 5 for $2.50 and here recently bags of salad mix have been 88¢ each.
Even light salad dressing runs regularly 2/$3.00. I wait until certain items go on sale to buy it, then I buy a bunch.
I think chicken might be the cheapest lean meat out there. I don't eat chicken anymore though.
The important thing is to sale watch on the basics then you can justify your reason for splurging on that loaf of
Ezekial that never seems to be on sale, or the Kashi Cereal that I SO love.

It can be done and on a limited budget if you plan ahead.
An FYI on major grocery store sales:
Apparently sales go on a 12 week cycle in stores, so prices are commonly low every three months.
If you see a sale, stock up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2008, 05:00 PM

268 posts, read 1,159,728 times
Quote:
I also noticed the high cost of eating right. Those fast-food joints are CHEAP compared to anything healthy. Cooking yourself veggies from the market isn't too expensive, but it takes a lot of time and effort and you have to shop around so you don't get ripped off on prices. The cheapest decent prepared food will run you more than $5 a meal, minimum.

You are right about it costing more to eat healthy, but I would rather pay a little more up front to eat right and save me the pain of trying to lose weight later and waste money on diet pills, diet books, and diet programs that don't work or tell me to eat healthy in the first place! And just think of all the money you would not have to spend on liposuction or stomach stapling.

Old 01-08-2008, 05:01 PM

2,482 posts, read 8,731,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citybythebay View Post
Is it really expensive to eat healthy or cheap to eat bad?

It is all about perspective.
I am a total price watcher and a very thrifty person. I have found cans of vegetables sometimes
3 for $1.00, or tuna fish 5 for $2.50 and here recently bags of salad mix have been 88¢ each.
Even light salad dressing runs regularly 2/$3.00. I wait until certain items go on sale to buy it, then I buy a bunch.
I think chicken might be the cheapest lean meat out there. I don't eat chicken anymore though.
The important thing is to sale watch on the basics then you can justify your reason for splurging on that loaf of
Ezekial that never seems to be on sale, or the Kashi Cereal that I SO love.

It can be done and on a limited budget if you plan ahead.
An FYI on major grocery store sales:
Apparently sales go on a 12 week cycle in stores, so prices are commonly low every three months.
If you see a sale, stock up.
Same here, I found it more cost-efficient to eat healthy than not healthy. Personally, I just avoid the dazzle-fabulous mainstream grocery stores (that sell strawberries at 6 dollars a carton--WHAT?!) and go to the smaller, local, perhaps even ethnic grocery stores. They have the same produce at much lower prices.

Old 01-08-2008, 05:43 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,061,806 times
lol, "ethnic".

I do bargain-hunt. My wife and I do all our shopping down on a place they call "The Avenue" and you'd think we were from Mars or something for the looks we get, being the only white and yellow people around. Veggies are half-price compared to the supermarket on the other side of town, and are still 75% of the cost of the weekly farmer's market halfway between the two. Meat, unfortunately, is only a couple of bucks cheaper, but at least the places on the Avenue will butcher it properly for you, if your multi-lingual skills are good enough to communicate with the butcher, rather than having to pay extra for pre-packaged meat that's more than you need.

However, it still is pricy in terms of time, gas (fuel), money, and energy (electricity) to fetch, refridgerate, clean, and cook those groceries, and the fresh stuff doesn't keep long. The canning process adds sugars and preservatives and removes vitamins and nutrients. Plus, I've never seen cans of anything edible anywhere out here for 3-to-a-dollar. Ramen is a different story.

Anyway, my point about cheap junk/expensive health is that when we've both worked dawn-to-dusk, we're tempted to just stop at a resturant once a week or so. Then, we're faced with the choice of $4 a meal for overprocessed junk food or $7 from the healthy grill. (Or $8-12 from the fru-fru "organic" places). On a tight budget, feeding 2 people for $8 looks better than $14.

I can imagine it just gets worse for people less well-off than us with a bigger family and a longer, harder workday.

I'm not saying that $8 is overpriced for a nice meal of tofu, lettuce, sprouts, etc, but...

Well, yes I am. It's not a sirloin steak! C'mon! See, we're spoiled by what we've eaten in other (yes, 1st-world) countries where we can both eat out and get tasty, healthy, meals for $3 or less between the two of us. Things are just handled differently elsewhere. Healthy food isn't a novelty; junk food is. It's just tough to come back and see the symbol of the assembly-line poison of golden arches on every street corner after that.

Sorry for the rambling rant.

Old 01-09-2008, 04:24 PM

690 posts, read 2,629,598 times
I agree, Sponger. It DOES cost more, in the plainest sense, to eat healthy. Junk is cheaper. But in the long run, it's worth it - it just takes some getting used to.

Old 01-10-2008, 08:07 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,993,789 times
Although it appears that eating healthy costs more than the government subsidized cheap crap, over time, the cheap crap costs substantially more when you factor in all of your out-of-pocket expenses to pay for your doctor-hospital-drug bills due to eating the cheap crap. Most people look at the short term rather than seeing the big picture. Granted, those who are financially stressed, have fewer food choices, but they still gotta pay the doctor bills!

Old 01-14-2008, 01:33 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,530,015 times
This is one of the reasons why diets don't work. It's hard to stay on one when there are so many commercials of food to see. Just eat smaller portions, never get seconds, and exercise more. That works for me.

Old 01-14-2008, 02:08 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,220,012 times
A few years ago I mentally counted how many fast food restaurants were within a mile of my house, and I got up to over 50! Geez, even Target has some Taco Bell/Pizza Hut thing in it. Who goes out to eat at Target?

I was never a big fast food eater, but gave it up totally about 7 or 8 years ago. It probably helped that I was (am) allergic to beef too. But I started associating the trash associated with fast food (bags, wrappers, cups) that you see littering the entire country with trash in and on my body. If you eat this trash, you end up with excess trash attached to your body in the form of fat. The association of the food with the trash caused me to be sickened by the thought of eating the food.

Maybe if anyone is struggling with fast food, this association could help. Even the commercials are gross to me, but mostly they don't even register when I see them. I also think about the quality of food over the quantity, and fast food is definitely about quantity.

Old 01-14-2008, 02:13 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,220,012 times
Quote:
lol, "ethnic".

I do bargain-hunt. My wife and I do all our shopping down on a place they call "The Avenue" and you'd think we were from Mars or something for the looks we get, being the only white and yellow people around. Veggies are half-price compared to the supermarket on the other side of town, and are still 75% of the cost of the weekly farmer's market halfway between the two. Meat, unfortunately, is only a couple of bucks cheaper, but at least the places on the Avenue will butcher it properly for you, if your multi-lingual skills are good enough to communicate with the butcher, rather than having to pay extra for pre-packaged meat that's more than you need.

However, it still is pricy in terms of time, gas (fuel), money, and energy (electricity) to fetch, refridgerate, clean, and cook those groceries, and the fresh stuff doesn't keep long. The canning process adds sugars and preservatives and removes vitamins and nutrients. Plus, I've never seen cans of anything edible anywhere out here for 3-to-a-dollar. Ramen is a different story.

Anyway, my point about cheap junk/expensive health is that when we've both worked dawn-to-dusk, we're tempted to just stop at a resturant once a week or so. Then, we're faced with the choice of $4 a meal for overprocessed junk food or $7 from the healthy grill. (Or $8-12 from the fru-fru "organic" places). On a tight budget, feeding 2 people for $8 looks better than $14.

I can imagine it just gets worse for people less well-off than us with a bigger family and a longer, harder workday.

I'm not saying that $8 is overpriced for a nice meal of tofu, lettuce, sprouts, etc, but...

Well, yes I am. It's not a sirloin steak! C'mon! See, we're spoiled by what we've eaten in other (yes, 1st-world) countries where we can both eat out and get tasty, healthy, meals for $3 or less between the two of us. Things are just handled differently elsewhere. Healthy food isn't a novelty; junk food is. It's just tough to come back and see the symbol of the assembly-line poison of golden arches on every street corner after that.

Sorry for the rambling rant.
Do you live anywhere near a Trader Joe's? They have great frozen, healthy meals for two that are like $5 or $6. You literally just toss the whole bag in a skillet, turn it on high, and stir it a couple times. Some of them I'll also dump in some frozen peas or broccoli for added veggies. If you don't have Trader Joes, Super Target has similar types of frozen meals for two, but they're a bit more expensive. Throwing in added veggies makes them even more healthy. And cleanup is minimal.

Old 01-15-2008, 09:58 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,157,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAgeRedneck View Post
I simply refuse to watch any commercials. I've trained myself to either flip to another channel, get up and attend to a chore, do pushups, crunches, yoga stretches, or some type of exercise during commercials. Channel flipping doesn't always work because commercials tend to run on all the channels at the same time. This must be conspiracy to thwart channels flippers!

blessings...Franco
Ahhhhhhhhhhh the remote control and men!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss